Unveiled: 2014 Toyota Corolla - Your next rental car has arrived

rickhamilton620

has a fetish for terrible cars
Car(s)
2023 Mazda CX-5 Premium

The one most people will likely buy: LE Eco trim:

Interior:

Press Release said:
The 2014 Corolla is available in four distinct grades: L, LE, S, and the new LE Eco grade. While each grade offers its own equipment level, all Corollas feature LED lowbeam headlamps with LED daytime running lights, an in-glass AM/FM antenna, color-keyed outside door handles, color-keyed outside mirrors, a 60/40 split fold-down rear seat, power door locks with automatic locking feature, power windows with driver-side one-touch up/down, air conditioning with pollen filter, standard Bluetooth connectivity and eight airbags.

The Corolla has always prioritized delivering outstanding fuel economy and the new 2014 model maintains that focus. The new Corolla LE Eco model targets an estimated EPA highway fuel economy rating of over 40 mpg. The Corolla LE Eco is a new grade that enhances the fuel economy with the help of aerodynamic underbody covers, color-keyed rear spoiler, a more efficient 1.8-liter engine with Valvematic technology, low rolling resistance tires on 15-inch wheels or available 16-inch aerodynamic alloy wheels, and an efficient CVT.

The base model Corolla L is offered with a four-speed automatic transmission or a six-speed manual transmission. The six-speed manual is also available in the Corolla S.

The braking system includes a 10.82-inch (275-mm) ventilated front disc, and either a 10.19-inch (259-mm) solid rear disc (available on S-grade) or nine-inch (229-mm) rear drum (all other grades). Like all Toyota models, the 2014 Corolla will feature Toyota's Star Safety System? standard, which includes Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist. It also features the standard Smart Stop Technology brake-override system. An electronic tire pressure monitoring system is standard equipment.

source: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/07/2014-toyota-corolla-debuts-with-more-power-space/

This thing is total meh in my book...plus what's with the ride height and ancient 4 speed on the base car? :blink:

Still it's the world's best selling compact sedan (by some measures anyway....) so it's still a very important vehicle which many of us will see or drive. Hence me posting this lol.

Last edited:
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWN.

It looks awkardly tall. I much prefer the hatchback we've had here for the past year or so. Does the US get this one as well or just the sedan?

ToyotaCorolla-w.jpg

Still, if all you wanted was dull and reliable there's no reason to buy a Corolla over an i30.

It looks awkardly tall. I much prefer the hatchback we've had here for the past year or so. Does the US get this one as well or just the sedan?

ToyotaCorolla-w.jpg

Still, if all you wanted was dull and reliable there's no reason to buy a Corolla over an i30.

No, we only get the sedan. That looks like a slightly larger Yaris.

I just can't get over the fact that the Corolla has only gone from 120 hp to 140 hp over a period of fifteen years. And that's just for the special Eco model. Everything else has only 12 more horses than the '98 Corolla (well, maybe a bit more, since power ratings are a little tougher than they used to be), and the "S" model has less power than a Kia Rio, which is a class smaller and over 400 pounds lighter! :thumbsdown:

The CVT sounds like a good idea, but I hope it's standard on the non-L trims, because a 4-speed transmission in this day and age is embarrassing, if excusable for your bargain-basement fleet special model (the current automatic Corolla L undercuts both the Forte and Elantra with autos). And if they can get a realistic 40+ MPG out of the Eco, they've got a leg up on the Koreans.

The customer base for the Corolla doesn't care about power or much of anything else - they're buying the perceived quality and longevity. Toyota has little incentive to improve it.

It is worse than you think - the standard engine Corolla of 1989 made 90hp. They haven't gotten real far.

those rims in the top picture look like the cheap and nasty crap for like $60 an alloy I see in the local discounts rag

ToyotaCorolla-w.jpg

That looks like a RAV4 lowrider.

It already knows it's a boring small sedan that's gonna do the commute and nothing else for the rest of its life. The front styling basically says "Fuck it...lets just do this". :p

The lights (both front and rear) remind me of the Elantra and overall I think it looks pretty good (the interior especially looks like a massive improvement). They're still using the 4-speed auto but at least that's not the only auto they're offering with the base engine (current gen has a 5-speed auto with the 2.4 engine only so that doesn't count) and that's for the base model only which I suspect will be cheaper than its rivals (4-speed autos are cheaper than 5 or 6 speed ones). The new CVT looks interesting with its 7 "simulated" gears.

The base models will be sold mostly to rental companies and to older people who know that a Corolla will get them around without trouble (it will be cheap and will have a reliable transmission that they used for many years). Base model also has the same 132 HP as the current model but, again, base-model buyers won't mind that since it's certainly not under-powered. It looks like their main aim was to improve fuel economy because most of its rivals have surpassed its once class-leading efficiency so I guess that's why they didn't give it a huge power boost (if 132 HP is adequate, 140 is more than plenty).

Last edited:
Um...okay, I guess. I wasn't even aware that anyone bothered with such a thing...