2014 VW Tiguan TDI or 2014 Subaru Forester XT?

the Interceptor, they have the same engine displacement of 2.0. I know the XT is a petrol turbo but I am unsure if the TDI is a diesel turbo.
Yes, the 2.0 TDI is a diesel turbo. I have this exact engine with the same power output in my Beetle. It is a good and economical engine, but it won't tear your face off, especially in a tall and heavy Tiguan. The turboed petrol engine in the Subaru will be significantly less economical but much much more powerful.

This photo (not mine) is the radio of the local Tiguan.

2013_volkswagen_tiguan_audiosystem.jpg
This is the standard radio for VW cars, the RCD310. It's okay, but I can confirm: no bluetooth.

Technically, bigger engines are available (diesel up to 2.0l turbo with 168hp, petrol up to 2.0l turbo with 197hp), as well as better radios with colored screens, bluetooth and navigation (RNS 315, RNS 510). But if these things are not offered in the Philippines, you're going to have to live with these drawbacks or buy different.

You can get bluetooth down to the RCD210, A2DP down to RCD310. It's just not included by default.

PS: VW now lets you configure hovercars!

Last edited:
You can get bluetooth down to the RCD210, A2DP down to RCD310. It's just not included by default.

PS: VW now lets you configure hovercars!

I'd get one if the Mr Fusion is an option and the Flux Capacitor comes in standard. :lol:

On the ICE... it reminds me of that blasted '00 Ford Escape we got before. It came with a cassette player and no CD. :lol: Our '93 Honda Accord had a 6 disc cd changer and tape deck.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the 2.0 TDI is a diesel turbo. I have this exact engine with the same power output in my Beetle. It is a good and economical engine, but it won't tear your face off, especially in a tall and heavy Tiguan. The turboed petrol engine in the Subaru will be significantly less economical but much much more powerful.

This is the standard radio for VW cars, the RCD310. It's okay, but I can confirm: no bluetooth.

Technically, bigger engines are available (diesel up to 2.0l turbo with 168hp, petrol up to 2.0l turbo with 197hp), as well as better radios with colored screens, bluetooth and navigation (RNS 315, RNS 510). But if these things are not offered in the Philippines, you're going to have to live with these drawbacks or buy different.

Same complaint I had with the BRZ.

brz_radio.jpg

It had me looking at Pioneer's AppRadio 3 or this Kenwood HU that uses Toyota's 200mm double DIN wide dimension.

5337d1370310620-perfect-aftermarket-head-unit-upgrade-86-brz-fr-s-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21370310619.618079.jpg

As the Kenwood is a 2011 model I am waiting for the 2014 model to come out. Hopefully it will support iOS 7 (Siri Hands Free) and KitKat (Android).

I find it annoying as almost all those who would buy these cars would already own a multitouch smartphone or tablet.

I am unsure if the TDI is a diesel turbo.

Of course it is, that's what the T stands for. And it does without saying anyway these days. A 2-liter diesel without a turbo would make like 52hp. :p

Of course it is, that's what the T stands for. And it does without saying anyway these days. A 2-liter diesel without a turbo would make like 52hp. :p

69hp :tease:

The last SDI by VW was a 2.0 Caddy built in September 2010 with those 69hp. They even made a Golf Mk5 with 75hp... but that was killed off by Euro5 emissions standards. I learned to drive in a Mk4 SDI, top speed a smidge over 160 :(

Last edited:

Good to know! Looking at in-city fuel economy of each car the Tiguan would do 14.5 km/l while the Forester is at 9.4. Diesel sells for P43.xx (0.737 Euro) while petrol about P53.xx (0.909 Euro).

So over 100,000km I'd consume around 6,900L of diesel and 10,650L of petrol. P296,700 (5,086.031 Euro) of diesel and P564,450 (9,675.802 Euro) of petrol. Almost a 50% savings over 100,000km.

1 Euro = 58.34 Philippine Pesos as of now via Google.

Diesel is cheaper here as almost all public utility vehicle runs on diesel.

Really wish the Tiguan had the interiors of the Touareg or matching features of the Forester. Dont mind the smaller size if that's the only difference.

Last edited:
Based on those prices, go for the Forester. Isn't that better equipped as well?

Over here a Forester 2.0XT starts around 40k?, while a Tiguan with that drivetrain and probably better equipment than you get starts around 35k?... over there the pricing is reversed, so it's easy to go Subaru. With our pricing I wouldn't be so sure.

Both cars would be the same price after 45,645km. After that the Tiguan becomes cheaper driving further.

Forester feels like a car that should've sold in 2011 (LCD doesn't allow for smartphone apps, sadly) while the Tiguan a car that should be sold in 2001. 2001 being the year when the first iPod (not iPhone) was sold. Yes, the first iPod-enabled car was sold by BMW in 2003 but adoption should've been earlier imo.

forester14-interior10.jpg

Subaru_Forester_2014_interior_advanced_audio_system.jpg

BTW the price of each compact SUV is the the total cost.

Last edited:
Yeah the Tiguan becomes cheaper later in its life, but the Subaru has 100 extra horses and more equipment? Economically, that's a no-brainer.

As for adapting cars to entirely new things after two years being too late... :no:. Just :no:
Thinking of all the hoops you have to jump to get things on the road, I don't want them to rush some new tech feature to market only to later find out it's either useless, not a mass market, or hugely buggy.

Forgot to mention that the Forester has these.

- Power Glass Sunroof
- Power Rear Gate
- 18-inch Aluminium-alloy Wheels

Subaru_Forester_2014_ext_18_inch_Aluminum_Alloy_%20Wheels_High_relief_design_L.jpg

But damnit... it's a new brand

Even less brain required then :dunno: Unless you want the VW regardless, then I fail to see the point of the thread :tease:

Horsepower is nice to have to get a higher top speed but seeming we're legally limited to 100km so more of it isn't that much of a big deal to me. What I am interested in is the 0-100km and 100-150km times. I'd like to be able to overtake almost any car on the road hence my preference for the most powerful 2.0L stock engine on the road.

- - - Updated - - -

Even less brain required then :dunno: Unless you want the VW regardless, then I fail to see the point of the thread :tease:

Sounds like it but I may go with the more rational Subaru. 5 years from now, maybe a VW. :)

Another no-brainer with 100 extra horses, the Subaru is listed at 7.5s with the Tiguan taking over ten seconds.
Not quite that simple. Because diesels don't wind up to higher RPM they don't show as high a horse power rating. They do however have lots of torque at LOW RPM, so the power they have is more usable in real world driving, where you rarely are doing 0-60 but more likely 20-50. A number of years ago I chose a low pressure turbo Volvo V70 over the high pressure because, although it had much less measured bhp, the torque was all there by 1800rpm i.e. immediately. That said, the Tiguan is quite heavy, so it won't be really fast. The fuel economy figures WILL be accurate however unlike the optimistic figures of many other brands. If you hold on to your vehicles for a few years, you can expect the Forrester to be 1+sec slower in 0-60 by 30,000miles, while the turbo diesel will actually be quicker. This according to long term testing of turbo vs naturally aspirated long term tests of many brands by car & driver.

I'm so worn on Japanese interiors. Subarus are built tough, but I want to sit in something.... nice from now on.

Based on that and that alone, I'd go for the Tiguan.

The Tiguan is not particularly nice to sit in either.

---

The fuel economy figures WILL be accurate however unlike the optimistic figures of many other brands. If you hold on to your vehicles for a few years, you can expect the Forrester to be 1+sec slower in 0-60 by 30,000miles, while the turbo diesel will actually be quicker. This according to long term testing of turbo vs naturally aspirated long term tests of many brands by car & driver.

What kind of crap is that? VAG figures, like most, are pretty optimistic. Anyway, why the hell the Ridge Forrester Subaru Forester would be 1 sec slower to 60 after 30k miles? I understand that turbos might wear after... let's say after 100 000 hard, uncared miles, but not in 30k. And how the diesel would get quicker? Turbos in diesel engines might have a bit easier life, but in general engines might get a bit "looser" after some miles yes, but that applies to Subaru as much as it applies to VW.

Apparently you have much very much proof of this based by Car and Driver. Could I see Car & Driver's Long term test of the VW Tiguan TDI? ;)

Last edited: