2015 Australian GP.

While that is some amazing whining, I do see his point. Throughout the past few years the FIA continually changed the rules to stop 1 team from running away with the title and they have done nothing about Mercedes.

I don't agree with him (frankly the teams should be allowed to develop their engines during the season, and the fuel rules need some modifications), but I do see his point.

The thing is, in the past it's always been sneaky aero-tricks on the edge of legality that gave teams dominance - double diffusers, blown diffusers, pseudo-traction-control, flexi-wings etc.

There's nothing sneaky or edge-of-legality about just building a far better engine.

That race was the very definition of meh. Same very amateur antics going on both on track and in the pits. Very happy for Nasr and the hard-working Sauber employees though. After the week they've had...

Horny Spice can fuck right off though.

during the race alonso probably banged his head so hard against the wall his concussion now is worse again! :lol:
he better stays home and let magnussen drive untill the car is sorted out somewhat, just to save himself the humiliation!

and i bet sauber is happy, they just earned the money to pay VDG :mrgreen:

was the failure on magnussen his car broadcasted? i read it was "spectacular"...

Last edited:
I laughed my butt off at Arnie on the podium.

"I thought you were taller!"

And poor Jensen! "Okay everyone...since we've lost so many cars in this race, well as long as you just fucking finish, you'll get a point. Err..sorry Jensen, not you old chap."

Is there a limit on the number of engines used outside of races/pre-season?
I mean, 4 engines per season, but can't Honda have like 200 engines sitting on test benches and jigs simulating the stresses of running in cars running constantly at realistically varying RPMs and load levels to find failures and fix them?

If so, 1. that makes the 4 engine limit a pointless joke. 2. that means there's no excuse for Honda being shit, they should have had this shit sorted out before the engine was ever nailed into a car and there's some catastrophic failure of management and procedure somewhere...

lol I don't engine development means what you think it means and the FIA certainly doesn't allow that type of development anymore.

lol I don't engine development means what you think it means and the FIA certainly doesn't allow that type of development anymore.

Honda weren't part of F1 when they started developing the engine, nothing was being homologated, the FIA had no power over them.

Could somebody also explain why the hell Arnie was doing the podium interviews? Because it likes a little like someone thought "Arnie's from Australia". :p

Could have had Mark Webber do it - might have been fun with Ze Cherman, though.

Honda weren't part of F1 when they started developing the engine, nothing was being homologated, the FIA had no power over them.

Still, they might have had 3-4 engines running their paces not 200, the engines are still damn expensive. They don't even test that many engines for production development. Also, it's nearly impossible to simulate everything in a controlled closed loop environment. Honda had limited data going into their engine development, I'm sure McLaren provided them some data from last year but not enough to engineer and thoroughly vet a competitive F1 engine.

The thing is, in the past it's always been sneaky aero-tricks on the edge of legality that gave teams dominance - double diffusers, blown diffusers, pseudo-traction-control, flexi-wings etc.

There's nothing sneaky or edge-of-legality about just building a far better engine.

So true!

SkyF1 had a replay of that at least, and yes, it was a classic engine explosion, a lot of white smoke under acceleration and bits flying out of the engine.

Yeah and there were flames coming out of the diffuser area too. If I was Alonso I'd take the first five races off.

I think Alonso needs to get back in the car, the last thing you want to do is rejoin to a penalty because your replacement driver went through all your engines.

How is it possible that GraemeH is always more clever than the engineers in F1? Not only can you apparently simulate track conditions on a test bench, you can get away with it without the FIA ever knowing! Brilliant!

Horner has a point though. Has everyone forgotten Silverstone 2011? The aero regs were constantly being updated and regulated so teams at least had a chance to update their cars to be competitive. With the engine freeze there's very little chance (if any at all) for the engine manufacturers to catch up. People's perception of the Red Bull dominance are a bit skewed. Yes they were incredibly clever but the situation was made worse by the fact that the top teams just didn't have their shit together (I'm looking at you McLaren). If the engine freeze remains I think we're looking at an even more dominant era than Red Bull's. At least in 2012/13 there was another team fighting for the championship (read Alonso). Last year there wasn't even the faintest whiff of WCC/WDC for another team and that looks to continue this year.

I thought the engine freeze was out of the window due to badly-worded rules, anyways?

I think Alonso needs to get back in the car, the last thing you want to do is rejoin to a penalty because your replacement driver went through all your engines.

i don't think alonso will return simply to finish last... (i wouldn't!)
he hasn't got a chance at any championship anyway
so he better makes sure that by the time he returns, the car is capable of at least finishing in the points!

i don't think alonso will return simply to finish last... (i wouldn't!)
he hasn't got a chance at any championship anyway
so he better makes sure that by the time he returns, the car is capable of at least finishing in the points!

It's not returning to finish last, it's about developing his own damn car and understanding the limits of the Honda engine, telling them what he needs from it etc. he is the one that's supposed to be driving it.

People hate it, but it's hard to fault Mercedes for doing a perfect job yet again. And Mclaren should probably make sure the Honda engineers don't get to close to a katana for a while...

The danish commentators had some interesting points about why the Honda power unit might be runing so slow. At one point Magnussen commented that Jenson did very well despite having to save so much fuel. That could indirectly indicate that the KERS wasn't running at full power or turned completely off and not assisting in conserving fuel. That would also explain some of the estimated 200-250 hp power deficit they where running.

And the chassis looks good (although the lack of power might mask deficiencies), every time Perez would get alongside Button into T13 the McLaren would be about 6-7 car lengths ahead by the final corner, and that was just down to relative cornering capabilities.