2015 Australian GP.

That could indirectly indicate that the KERS wasn't running at full power or turned completely off and not assisting in conserving fuel. That would also explain some of the estimated 200-250 hp power deficit they where running.

...which makes sense since Honda is not only new to these new engines but also the KERS system in general.

...which makes sense since Honda is not only new to these new engines but also the KERS system in general.

Very true, they have started using energy recovery systems in other racing series (as far as I'm aware, their current Super GT car has KERS) but, as far as I'm aware, all their attempts at using KERS have been done using systems produced by other people.

If Honda aren't up with the pace by the European season, then I'll be worried.

The thing is, in the past it's always been sneaky aero-tricks on the edge of legality that gave teams dominance - double diffusers, blown diffusers, pseudo-traction-control, flexi-wings etc.

There's nothing sneaky or edge-of-legality about just building a far better engine.

Not true, it's mostly just aero tricks. They've also changed the point system (for various reasons at various times). They've changed testing rules. They've tried to cap spending. They've banned active suspension (and the mass damper system). They've also banned the off-throttle engine mapping. They definitely have controlled more then just aero tricks.

If Ferrari/Renault/Honda were allowed to continually test and improve their engines throughout the year (along with Mercedes) then I'd say it's all fair game. I mean, teams introduce new aero packages, why can't they introduce new engine packages, but that's an entirely different topic/rant.

But when you can't change it (the token system is ridiculous and the very embodiment of what's wrong with F1 rules imo) and they continually introduce concepts to promote "entertainment" and "overtaking", it only makes sense to even up the teams on power/torque as well. In the end, it makes it more entertaining as there would actually be a race for 1st... I mean, that's their justification for other things...

Like I said, I see his point (and frankly, it's a valid point whether you agree with it or not doesn't take away the justification).
Everyone was against him and his team for the years they ran away with, in which rules were actively changed to try and slow them down. He has every right to complain as the coin has flipped. Fair is fair in the end.

It really seems like people don't agree with him simply because they won for years in a row and that some how negates his point... which it doesn't... at all.

Last edited:
Mercedes must have something going on with the Chassis or the Aero or something, I mean how different could the engine in the Williams be from the Mecedes engine apart from maybe the gearbox, it's not just the Renaults and the Ferrari's who finished however many seconds behind and it does look like the Ferraris at least are competitive with the Mercedes powered teams. It seems to me the real action this year is between Williams and Ferrari for 2nd in the constructors as it could be several races before Rosberg puts on a show with Lewis.

Felipe Massa suspects that the engines Mercedes are giving them aren't the same ones they themselves are using.

http://en.espnf1.com/australia/motorsport/story/194771.html

Last edited:
Mercedes must have something going on with the Chassis or the Aero or something, I mean how different could the engine in the Williams be from the Mecedes engine apart from maybe the gearbox, it's not just the Renaults and the Ferrari's who finished however many seconds behind and it does look like the Ferraris at least are competitive with the Mercedes powered teams. It seems to me the real action this year is between Williams and Ferrari for 2nd in the constructors as it could be several races before Rosberg puts on a show with Lewis.

Felipe Massa suspects that the engines Mercedes are giving them aren't the same ones they themselves are using.

http://en.espnf1.com/australia/motorsport/story/194771.html

That's a pretty heavy accusation. Customer engines are supposed to be identical apart from a few things (I think fuel mix is one of them). Williams is heavily overestimating themselves. Most of their performance is from that Mercedes PU and without it they'll be lucky to be 4th/5th.

Mercedes have responded, http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/03/17/mercedes-say-works-and-customer-engines-the-same/

According to Mercedes? engine boss Andy Cowell, however, the works and customer engines are exactly the same.

?They all have the same engines,? he is quoted by Speed Week. ?Firstly, that way the engineers are able to learn the most, and secondly, we owe that (service) to our customers.?

?Third,? Cowell explained, ?it would be too costly from a parts point of view to go around with different engine specifications.?

Also Sebastian Vettel has been officially invited to the Friday practice Mercedes debrief, so he'd better take his trademark notebook along.

Last edited:
That's an interesting bit of info I didn't get to see...Friday debrief @ Malaysia will be interesting at Mercedes :mrgreen:

Also Sebastian Vettel has been officially invited to the Friday practice Mercedes debrief, so he'd better take his trademark notebook along.

he was officially invited (by Rosberg, not MB) over twitter....while he doesn't even have an account...

Vettel would definitely go, but MB won't discussing the interesting information. And man that would be one awkward debrief.

Vettel would definitely go, but MB won't discussing the interesting information. And man that would be one awkward debrief.

It would be hilarious if he went in with his notebook as a joke expecting them to have a mini Bierfest or something and they had a full on debrief.
I'm sure it won't be too awkward, Seb has a sense of humour so it would all be in good fun but imagine if they were all grilled him with things like "Ferrari should be doing this and why didn't they do this there"

does paddy speak german?
if he does, it might become awkward for hamilton! :lol:

That's a pretty heavy accusation. Customer engines are supposed to be identical apart from a few things (I think fuel mix is one of them). Williams is heavily overestimating themselves. Most of their performance is from that Mercedes PU and without it they'll be lucky to be 4th/5th.

Agree with Pininfarina_ on this one. Williams has spent a majority of their time at the back of the grid for a while now. They should thank their lucky stars that the Merc engine has propelled their mediocre chassis that severely lacks downforce as far up the grid as it has.

And as far as Horner? Dude, just shut up and go find a new engine supplier.

I never thought I would say hooray for Vettel...(oh, and I'm not) but thank goodness that Ferrari came and took a big wazz on the Mercs. I was so underwhelmed watching the Australian GP that Malaysia was a breath of fresh air. Just hope McLaren can scrape themselves off the floor and Red Bull grow a pair and stop crying over the rules