2015 BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe (4GC) might be a better 3 Series sedan

Yeah. Want a mid-sized 4-door BMW? Good, BMW now offers a total of three options :D. 3 sedan, 3 GT or 4 GC. Depending on how much of the looks of a sedan you are willing to give up for a tad more usability with the big(er) hatch in the back.. :D

Still confused at the whole naming business. I like it though.

Even numbers = sleek, "premiumer" versions of the odd numbers.

GT versions = still pointless, even more so now that the GC cars are out. If they drop the GTs and just have the 3/5 sedan/estate and 4/6 coupe/convertible/GC, that's not a bad lineup, IMO.

Sadly the GT's aren't as pointless as some of us might think. These types of cars tend to sell well amongst people who like to sit high but don't want an SUV,. In that respect, the Gran Coupe is not an alternative.

Sadly the GT's aren't as pointless as some of us might think. These types of cars tend to sell well amongst people who like to sit high but don't want an SUV,. In that respect, the Gran Coupe is not an alternative.

D'oh! You're right. I forgot the GT versions are quite a bit taller than the sedans/estates. 1508 vs. 1429 mm for the 3er and 1559 vs. 1462 mm for the 5er, if anyone's curious.

I guess BMW's covering all their bases on what a person might want out of a sedan that's actually a coupe but isn't a sedan because it's actually a liftback.

All of them.

I don't understand how some of you people are still confused about the car. This is BMW's A5 Sportsback. A4=3 series, A5 coupe=4 series, A5 Sportsback=4 Grandcoupe. Sure, the god awful GT variation adds to complexity, but it's not that confusing.

Aren't they adding more and more models to be able to average out their mpg numbers for CAFE? It makes sense if they are. The more higher mileage models they have, the higher their average. For example if they only had an M3 getting 10mpg and a 3 sedan getting 25mpg, that would average out to 17.5. But with the M3 getting 10, 3 sedan getting 25 and 4GC getting 25mpg, that averages to 20 (I pulled those numbers out of my ass as an example).

Which (in an ideal world) means they can add more lower mileage performance cars.

That said, if I was in the market, I'd go for the 4GC over the 3 and the 6GC over the 5.

Aren't they adding more and more models to be able to average out their mpg numbers for CAFE? It makes sense if they are. The more higher mileage models they have, the higher their average. For example if they only had an M3 getting 10mpg and a 3 sedan getting 25mpg, that would average out to 17.5. But with the M3 getting 10, 3 sedan getting 25 and 4GC getting 25mpg, that averages to 20 (I pulled those numbers out of my ass as an example).
Which (in an ideal world) means they can add more lower mileage performance cars.

That said, if I was in the market, I'd go for the 4GC over the 3 and the 6GC over the 5.

What about the M4?

CAFE is averaged over number of cars sold, I believe, not number of models.