Jalopnik: 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Has 620 Horses, 650 Pound Feet Of Torque

Not with a '+' on the right and a '-' on the left. Not to mention the 'P' on the instrument cluster. Not sure what's going on here at all.

I've heard of these sorts of promo shots being shopped for just that sort of thing, a manual gearshift placed over the automatic, or vice versa. Someone posted a few examples in some other thread. These pics don't look very real to begin with, so it could be an automatic C7 with Z06 badges and manual shifter shopped in. Still, offering a good automatic, or better yet a twin clutch, would make a lot of sense for this sort of car. Can't let the GTR and 911TS get too far ahead.

Did Michelin engineer special tires for this car again? If it did I could only imagine it the kind of grip it will have. I like Pirelli tires, I use them, but I don't think a supercar or bike will be fastest without Michelins.

/French bias

So they're offering an 8 speed automatic and claiming it's on par with dual clutch options from German competitors. That will be an interesting test. So far only the ZF automatics come close, but even they fall a bit short.

So they're offering an 8 speed automatic and claiming it's on par with dual clutch options from German competitors. That will be an interesting test. So far only the ZF automatics come close, but even they fall a bit short.

It's possible, there are full fledged automatics that are faster than DCTs (Aventador). They are generally cost-prohibitive on a cheaper car though, and thus reserved for extremely expensive exotics or racers.

That rear spoiler looks extremely high tech... :lol:

It's actually my favorite part. I fucking love the idea of a production street car that has a manually adjustable spoiler from the factory. That alone made me want this car SO badly. Then again, if I could buy one without interior, sound deadening, radio/speakers, A/C, a full cage, extinguisher and a removable steering wheel, I'd do that too.

Last edited:
The Aventador is a single clutch gearbox, not dual.

I really want one of those 8 speed autos in my life.

This car is likely the most hardcore track day special ever sold by a mainstream Detroit auto maker. Carbon ceramic brakes, many carbon body parts, Alcantara interior, 625 HP, 635 lb/ft, a true 7 speed manual as standard, Viper-esque barrels in the rear etc, etc. The Z07 aero package is like something off of the C7.R: front splitter with endplates that go all the way around the front wheelarch, adjustable rear spoiler, huge rear diffuser, giant side sills, brake cooling, intakes... it's cartoonish but likely effective.

This is almost race trim. I'll bet the ride is buckboard / GT3 stiff. The fact that a car of this type will be on sale at a Chevy dealer near you is frankly unprecedented. Even the ZR1 was relatively soft, even the very uncomfortable previous generation Z06 looks downright tame. I can't imagine that GM sees a large market for such an uncompromised race machine, this is likely a small volume PR exercise.

I can't imagine that GM sees a large market for such an uncompromised race machine, this is likely a small volume PR exercise.

And a homologation model for the C7.R, in the same way that the 997 GT3 RS was the homologation model for the previous GT2 Porsche and the old C6 Z06 was the homologation model for the old GT1 C6.R.

It's actually my favorite part. I fucking love the idea of a production street car that has a manually adjustable spoiler from the factory. That alone made me want this car SO badly. Then again, if I could buy one without interior, sound deadening, radio/speakers, A/C, a full cage, extinguisher and a removable steering wheel, I'd do that too.

How many people will actually know enough about aerodynamics to know how to adjust it correctly?

So they should aim for the lowest common denominator? Anyway, not sure if trolling or just...

I'm just questioning the manufacturers choice in giving it an adjustable spoiler. GT3 RS's have had adjustable spoilers for years but I can imagine that those are bought by even bigger "trackheads" than Z06 people.

I'm just questioning the manufacturers choice in giving it an adjustable spoiler. GT3 RS's have had adjustable spoilers for years but I can imagine that those are bought by even bigger "trackheads" than Z06 people.
It's a gimmick. So is the painted-on emblem on a GT3 or the adjustable camber on a Porsche GT.

I'm not so sure about that claim since the Z06 will probably eat any Porsche short of a 918 for breakfast on any given track.

I'm not so sure about that claim since the Z06 will probably eat any Porsche short of a 918 for breakfast on any given track.

They must've done a hell of a job with this one then, as this hasn't been the case so far.

They must've done a hell of a job with this one then, as this hasn't been the case so far.

Well, the old one was up there with the best GT 911s ever made:

sdn14w.jpg

346qlup.jpg

And as none of the new 991 variants (GT3 and Turbo S) have been able to even break the 7:30 mark at the Nordschleife, unless they bring something much more radical to compete with this Z06 (at many times the price), they are not really competing in the same league in terms of track capabilities (posing value and brand image are another story).

How many people will actually know enough about aerodynamics to know how to adjust it correctly?

It doesn't look that complicated to me. Just the single section that can go up or down. The higher it is, the more downforce you get, which means more grip, but also more drag which means less top speed. I imagine most owners will put it fully up and just leave it there. Only the trackheads will play with it and see if it helps their lap times.