Unveiled: 2015 Ford F-150

Paul_The_Aussie

Car(s)
Ford Focus XR5T
60FT8584.jpg

The Ford F-150 is one of the best selling vehicles on the planet. Considering that, one can imagine that when it comes time for a redesign, there are hardly any half measures. For its lucky thirteenth generation, Ford has gone all-in on the single most important vehicle in its portfolio, redesigning it from the ground up.

The big news is the F-150's new, lightweight, Atlas-inspired body. Ninety-three percent of that new body is made from a sort of aluminum alloy not unlike what the US military uses in its M2 Bradley fighting vehicles and Humvees, and it accounts for up to 70 percent of the F-150's 700-pound weight reduction. As a side benefit, the aluminum body should prove more resistant to dents and dings. Built Ford tough, indeed.

If you're wondering where the other 30 percent of that 700-pound weight loss went, 8.5 percent (60 pounds) came from the increased use of high-strength steel (up from 23 percent to 77 percent) in its ladder-box frame. Ford claims this steel is comparable to some of the heavy duty pickups used by its competitors, with a PSI rating of 70,000.

"Our objective was to find materials that allowed us to design the truck to be as tough ? or tougher ? than the current model, yet could help it be hundreds of pounds lighter for better capability and fuel economy," said Pete Friedman, Ford's manager of manufacturing research. We shouldn't need to explain the benefits of a lighter truck (faster, stronger and more efficient).

The other big change is the addition of a new 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6. The new engine features auto start-stop, a first in the F-150. The system will automatically disengage if the truck is towing or set to four-wheel drive, so that it doesn't leave a driver flat-footed when power is really needed. It can also be manually defeated.

"No one's ever built a six-cylinder engine like this," said Raj Nair, group vice president of global product development. "It combines a host of advanced technologies found throughout the industry to create one of the most technically advanced and efficient engines ever designed."

Buyers will have the choice of a new, naturally aspirated 3.5-liter V6 as standard, while the 2.7 will slot in above it. The 5.0-liter V8 remains, while the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 has finally knocked off Ford's bad-boy 6.2-liter V8, which will no longer be offered on the F-150.

Ford hasn't published performance or fuel economy figures on any of it's new engines, but suffice it to say, the new 2.7-liter should be an adequate match for the mid-level V8s of Ram and General Motors while besting its eight-cylinder competitors on fuel economy. We'd expect a slight drop in power for the 3.5 and an uptick in fuel economy, while we wouldn't be surprised to see the 5.0 and 3.5 EcoBoost carry over their horsepower and torque metrics, while their fuel economy figures will benefit from the lighter body.

Ford pulled a fast one on spectators at this year's Baja 1000, running a truck in the grueling off-road race that featured the current F-150's body, but used the same aluminum-alloy construction and modified ladder-box frame. Underhood sat the new 2.7-liter EcoBoost. So yes, this truck does seem to have been tested rather thoroughly.

Ford hasn't limited its improvements to the greasy bits of the new F-150. All LED lighting is available as an optional goodie, including segment-exclusive LED headlights. The cargo box features LED lights, as well as a switch in the bed, which should save the driver from going all the way into the cab for a bit of extra light. There's also an LED on the handle of the tailgate, which should make finding it and hooking up a trailer a bit easier. Other handy features include a segment-exclusive tailgate release that can be operated via the key fob.

In the cabin, Ford has fitted a new, optional eight-inch display in the instrument cluster and added a number of new TruckApps. One of those new apps, Smart Trailer Control can inform the driver if the trailer being towed has a faulty or burnt-out light, or if the trailer's lights are even working in the first place. Ford will also offer a segment-first 360-degree camera, using four cameras mounted under the mirrors and in the front and back, lending owners piece of mind in tight quarters. Not all the upgrades are so functional, though. A panoramic sunroof is available to brighten up the cabin, and while we don't have an exact measurement, we can say that it is very big.

Finally, a new BoxLink system should add a high degree of versatility in the F-150's bed. The new system allows customers to reconfigure the bed as they see fit, and is similar to one of the features on the Atlas Concept from the 2013 Detroit Auto Show. "We are leaving the bed open, and are letting the customer choose how they want to customize the bed," said Ford spokesman Mike Levine.

The new F-150 will be available in five trims when it arrives in the fourth quarter of 2014 - base XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch and Platinum. We'll have much more information on the new F-150 when it becomes available, including live pictures from its debut at the 2014 Detroit Auto Show later today. Scroll down for the official press blast from Ford.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/13/2015-ford-f-150-debuts-aluminum-2-7-ecoboost/

700lbs lighter. Wow, that is quite some feat. If only the Mustang could learn the same trick!

Why did they give it blingy braces?

Raptor please.

+1. Plus I want to see the next Expedition now!

That is probably a platinum trim model. I'm sure there will be less guady grill options on other trim levels.

100% correct. If you look through the images on the Autoblog link, you'll see the bars within the bars are missing on non-Platinum models.

As a current gen F150 owner, I like the new one. As long as Ford will still let me spec one with the supercrew cab and a 6.5 foot bed, I'll probably get one when my 2011 gets worn out. I look forward to seeing what the real world MPG numbers end up being. My real world numbers are 16-18ish. If they somehow make the new ones just get 2 or 3 mpg better, it'll leave the competition even further in their dust. I am also pleased the 5.0 V8 has stuck around. Small turbo engines are great, but there is nothing like the sound and feel of a real N/A V8.

Not digging the looks much. Not much different than the current model, but where it is different, it's much uglier. That front grill doesn't look so bad in a less blingy finish though.

2015-ford-f-150-14-1-2.jpg

Still, the Dodge Ram has become the only good looking full size truck, besides the Titan, which is on the way out. But the F150 will no doubt be the best in it's class when it comes to the stuff that actually matters.

I like it better than the Silverado/Sierra, Ram, Tundra, and Titan just because its different.

Cfm6d0b.jpg

uGbInAq.jpg

t8jHJ2O.jpg

9p46zMA.jpg

g1SwgbA.jpg

Sure it has a similar massive in-your-face flashy grille like the first 4, but its trying something with those headlights, and thats what sets it apart for me.

Last edited:
I like it better than the Silverado/Sierra, Ram, Tundra, and Titan just because its different.

And because your employer might be watching and you love your job? ;)

And because your employer might be watching and you love your job? ;)

Hey now! I really liked the Challenger when I drove it. It was really hard deciding between it and the Mustang, but in the end the Mustang won because of price and dat green.

But in all seriousness, the irregular headlight shape sets the F150 apart from the rest of the pack, and its no secret that I like things that are different/unique/weird and other stuff normal people usually don't like. :p

Last edited:
I always had a softspot for the Dodge-look, and that still remains with the 2014 generation. The Chevy is ok too, the rest.. nothx.

If I was truck shopping, I'd take the RAM. Something about the front of this F-150 just doesn't sit right with me.

Interesting headlights but too much chrome. Otherwise quite nice.

I'll have to agree with a bunch of people and say I'd still take the RAM. There's just something about the new F-150 that's starting to look too........trendy. It's got that fashion forward sort of look which doesn't really belong with a truck. Maybe when I see it in person I'll change my mind.

In recent memory, the 2004-2008 F-150's looked the best. This is way to flashy. It's a truck, haul shit. That's all it's for.

The photo posted by TC looks great but, the headlights give it no character. I look at cars like a person and this has no human look to it.

2015-ford-f-150-14-1-2.jpg