2015 Formula 1 Season Thread

Well, yes, they do. Just not as much as before. The only real feedback you have from the actual feel of the car and where its being quick and where it's being a handful, and possible explanations as to why, is from the drivers.
There's just a lot less testing nowadays, pre season, during season, etc, along with some hefty development freezes. So it's not as evident as before.

And that's why even if Vettel was a great team developer, which he isn't, I don't think he'll make the needed difference at Ferrari.

I feel like there are some drivers who have a true understanding of how the cars work and what changes they need to make. Paul DiResta always seemed like that kind of driver. Any time someone would ask him about something with the car he would always have an in depth technical answer of why and how it worked.
I guess that only goes so far though, since he had limited success in F1.

The more I think about it, the more I want more frequent and unregulated testing again. As much as I sympathize with the small teams, this whole scheme to make F1 cheaper and more affordable for them seems to be eroding the sport and I would welcome a return to the no holds barred tech fight with huge budgets.

Based on what, exactly? Vettel had everything in place when he joined RBR and he was fortunate enough to join the team with the best aerodynamicist around during a time when finding downforce solutions was really hard. He did no building of no team, it was all there for him.

You seem to forget that both Red Bull teams owe their first win to him. Neither Toro Rosso, nor Red Bull had won a race before Vettel came about. And Newey had been with RB since 2006. So Webber and Coulthard managed the impressive feat not to win a single race in a Newey car for three years. And Vettel scored more points in 2008 in a Toro Rosso than both RB drivers combined. I'd say it wasn't just 'there for him', he used what others were unable to use.

- - - Updated - - -

Why are people insisting on this "build a team" idea as if modern drivers have a huge impact on the design of a car?

News flash, they don't.

They do have an influence. They don't build the car, but they build loyalty to people. When Schumacher went from Benetton to Ferrari, top personnel followed. (Brawn, Byrne etc)

Last edited:
Stupidest move in recent history... And I bet Alonso didn't wanna leave till Vettel's name started flying around.

LMAO. This blatant selective vision from a self claimed "Ferrari fan" is simply too funny.

It also reminds why this part of the forum has turned into an absolute public toilet.

If Vettel has been incapable of beating Ricciardo with a Red Bull, how good will he need to be the Ferrari to be able to do it next year?

If Vettel has been incapable of beating Ricciardo with a Red Bull, how good will he need to be the Ferrari to be able to do it next year?

He has beaten him several times in the second half of the season. The only difference is the much higher number of DNF's for Vettel and the team using him for strategic gambles, like at Monza. It took him a while, but after Spa he was stronger than RIC.

You seem to forget that both Red Bull teams owe their first win to him. Neither Toro Rosso, nor Red Bull had won a race before Vettel came about. And Newey had been with RB since 2006. So Webber and Coulthard managed the impressive feat not to win a single race in a Newey car for three years. And Vettel scored more points in 2008 in a Toro Rosso than both RB drivers combined. I'd say it wasn't just 'there for him', he used what others were unable to use.

You said he was good at developing a car, which I questioned, to which you retort, he is good at winning races.

LMAO. This blatant selective vision from a self claimed "Ferrari fan" is simply too funny.

It also reminds why this part of the forum has turned into an absolute public toilet.

A blatant selective vision is what's often called an "opinion", maybe you've heard of them, I tend to expose mine here and back them up as to why I state such things.
You on the other hand are adding absolutely nothing to the conversation, coming here, just dishing out, and not saying a single thing about the discussion at hand.
If anything, your post belongs to the toilet, not mine.

Last edited:
I'm sure Sebastian Vettel will have plenty of Soul & Passion? for Ferrari, he may be an efficient German but he cracks wise as well.

I'm sure Sebastian Vettel will have plenty of Soul & Passion? for Ferrari, he may be an efficient German but he cracks wise as well.

Hope he doesn't whine half as much as while he was at RB in the very few occasions in which he hasn't got a car a mile in front of his rivals' or not suited to his very specific driving style.

If RB had paid so much attention to Ricciardo as they have paid to Vettel this year to suit the car to his preferences one has to wonder how big the difference in favour of the Aussie would have been....

He was hired to clean up. No surprise there.

Yeah, not a big surprise. Mattiacci seemed to be a temporary solution until they found a team-boss who can bring the team back to where they want to be.

Is doing a first person montage coupled with this particular song a running joke in the the entertainment industry or did COD just blatantly rip off the BBC?

ORIGINAL:

COD:

(even the lengths of the videos are similar)

While it didn't end up playing a role this year, the double points thing REALLY could have if Nico Rosberg had had a better race in Abu Dhabi. I'm glad its going away though, as its just a big gimmick and doesn't really add anything. I think it would be disappointing if it handed someone the championship and I don't think any one race should be more valued over any other.

I really do want Jenson Button to have another year to finish his career in style. He's still my favorite driver, despite a couple of mediocre seasons and I think he needs a Swan Song of a season to end his career. I guess I could see him move towards another racing career like Webber, or maybe go into team management or a media job, but I'd prefer to see at least one more season of F1 racing from him.

Nico Hulkenberg will be doing double duties next season, with Force India granting him permission to drive for Porsche at next year's 24 Hours of Le Mans: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116960

Fantastic news, and I hope this opens the floodgates for F1 drivers to show their skills outside F1 during the season. Like in the good old days.

I'll be getting a paddock ticket for Le Mans next year at the rate things are going. :D

Well, there is a rumor Alonso might be driving a third Porsche 919 at Le Mans...

But I agree, it's fantastic news for us fans.