2015 Formula 1 Season Thread

There's a user on Reddit that speculatively concluded that:
Honda wants Button,
Sponsors want Button,
but McLaren want K-Mag

So McLaren are waiting for some sponsorship deals to finalise to see if they can continue to afford Button. If the do get Button, K-Mag will probably get a test driver seat or go down a rank to GP2. If they keep K-Mag, then Button will probably just go to WEC.

BBC, Daily Mail and Sky F1 all reporting Button to be confirmed as Alonso's team mate in a media event starting at 10.30GMT. Magnussen to remain with McLaren as third driver.

There's a user on Reddit that speculatively concluded that:
Honda wants Button,
Sponsors want Button,
but McLaren want K-Mag

So McLaren are waiting for some sponsorship deals to finalise to see if they can continue to afford Button. If the do get Button, K-Mag will probably get a test driver seat or go down a rank to GP2. If they keep K-Mag, then Button will probably just go to WEC.

Mclaren are holding a press conference today. BBC and others are repporting that they are going to announce Alonso and Button as next years drivers.

Since for most of the season Kevin was under the impression that he had a seat for next year at Mclaren, he hasn't worked on any alternatives. That means he is now stuck with test driving duties.

This might actually be the end of Kevins F1 career. He doesn't really have anything to show for his first season and a year as test driver will make him even less attractive.

If he is lucky he might be able to find a seat for 2016 in one of the buttom third teams, but it will be a long and hard climb from there.

Was always going to be hard on one of the drivers but I feel McLaren have made the right decision. Button is the best guy to have for 2015 which is going to be a very challenging year with the new engine and design philosophy of the team.

yup, McLaren confirmed Button & Alonso for 2015.

However......

Autosport.com said:
"Fernando and Jenson have started a combined total of precisely 500 grands prix between them - a mighty aggregate - and have won 47 of them," he said.

"I can safely say, therefore, that we now have by an order of magnitude the best driver line-up of any current Formula 1 team.

"I want to thank and pay tribute to Kevin, who has done a great job this season and will continue to be an integral part of our team.

"He will be our test, reserve and third driver, and remains an excellent prospect for the future."

Er... no. I don't know what Ron Dennis is smoking, but Ferrari definitely have the best driver line-up of current F1 teams.

Didn't Alonso say Ferrari was always the end goal and he'd never drive for anyone else?

ferrari? both drivers got their ass served on a plate this year

kimi is only there because of the money, and vettel is only there because it's ferrari.
both lost their motivation, and don't feel like they have to proof something
they'll be shit next year!

Er... no. I don't know what Ron Dennis is smoking, but Ferrari definitely have the best driver line-up of current F1 teams.

I guess he's smoking whatever you are.
Ferrari have two drivers who got beat by their teammates so hard they'll spend the winter break in some women's abuse victims' support group to try to get over it.

I think Ferrari's drivers will have bigger concerns next year then thinking about how they lost to their respective teammates in 2014. It's a Finn and a German I think they can get over it easy enough.

Ferrari have two drivers who got beat by their teammates so hard they'll spend the winter break in some women's abuse victims' support group to try to get over it.

Or you might just be talking shit. But that's nothing new, really...

5 WDC title v.s 3 WDC title.

Sure, whatever you say... you obviously got plenty of excuses to deny the hard facts.

Didn't Alonso say Ferrari was always the end goal and he'd never drive for anyone else?

Alonso says a lot of shit. You've gotta be pretty naive to believe everything Alonso says.

Last edited:

Sure, whatever you say... you obviously got plenty of excuses to deny the hard facts.

Naw you misunderstand. I wasn't agreeing with the suggestion that McLaren have the strongest driver line up. I think that's way far of the mark, Ron's just giving a verbal dick sucking to his new boys. I think that's as much shit as you do.
I just don't think Ferrari do, either. If they had Vettel with his Newey magic devices and Raikkonen in his prime, sure, that would be a pretty good shout.

Imo, the only reason Vettel went to Ferrari is to make his childhood dream come true. There is no way Ferrari will beat Red Bull next year.

I'll make that gamble, I declare time stamped post on Saturday December the 13th 2014 that next year as in 2015 if Ferrari beat any team in the Formula one constructors championship it'll be Red Bull.

Or you might just be talking shit. But that's nothing new, really...

Alonso says a lot of shit. You've gotta be pretty naive to believe everything Alonso says.

facepalm.jpg

Stopitstopitstopit...

I wonder if the signing of Button - for all the reasons BroMic laid out, is a bad omen for McLaren, as much as I love Jenson - I think that Button retained his seat is a sign of how the quasi-dictatorial rulership that Dennis once held over McLaren is over. And that makes me wonder how important Dennis' iron grip was in keeping the team a success...

I wonder if the signing of Button - for all the reasons BroMic laid out, is a bad omen for McLaren, as much as I love Jenson - I think that Button retained his seat is a sign of how the quasi-dictatorial rulership that Dennis once held over McLaren is over. And that makes me wonder how important Dennis' iron grip was in keeping the team a success...

I am pretty surprised they decided to keep Button. I thought maybe it was so Button could get the team some much needed points and WDC position for sponsorships/prize money etc., not because of some fascist regime heil Dennis. (though the latter is certainly a better headline). I also assume they would bring Magnussen back whenever the team got back on track and Button's hairline starts receding, but that's probably a bit rose-tinted.

facepalm.jpg

Stopitstopitstopit...

tPcpEQ9.gif

I am pretty surprised they decided to keep Button. I thought maybe it was so Button could get the team some much needed points and WDC position for sponsorships/prize money etc., not because of some fascist regime heil Dennis. (though the latter is certainly a better headline). I also assume they would bring Magnussen back whenever the team got back on track and Button's hairline starts receding, but that's probably a bit rose-tinted.

Thing is that by the time either Button or Alonso retires or moves on to another team (1-3 seasons) the next talents in Mclarens program will be ready for a shot moving up from GP2 and Magnussen will have been on the bench for 1-2 seasons getting slower and slower.