2015 Formula 1 Season Thread

Merc should come back strong at the Chinese GP seeing as how the average temperature is around 20 degrees.

Ferrari will have chances at the hot races like Bahrain I reckon. It also depends on how the developments pan out. So the rumour is that Ferrari have an upgrade coming to the engine which will add 20-30 hp and a new short nose design like Merc.

problem with the engine upgrade, is that if they implement it, they're also down one engine already. (you can't upgrade your current engine, you can only replace it with an upgraded one)
i think it's too early for that, and they'll have to way till race 4 or 5 before implementing the engine upgrades

problem with the engine upgrade, is that if they implement it, they're also down one engine already. (you can't upgrade your current engine, you can only replace it with an upgraded one)
i think it's too early for that, and they'll have to way till race 4 or 5 before implementing the engine upgrades

That's why the rumoured Ferrari engine upgrade is for Spain, which would put it at just about the time when they should be going to their second power unit components (if nothing goes wrong).

They don't have to use the engines in sequence though, right?

For example, if they have 5 engines, ran the Spec A in the first two races, they can make engine 2 of 5 the Spec B, run it from now on without penalty, and just go back to 1 of 5 (Spec A) later if 2 of 5 isn't going to last? So they're not really "down one engine" by sticking a Spec B in the car?

Or are they not allowed to stick a previous spec engine back in the car later once the upgrade has been homologated?

they could indeed, i read some blog where they discussed that possibility
but that would mean at a certain point, you have to downgrade, and no one wants to do that...
better to keep developing the new engine so you have a bigger gain once it finally comes

and iirc last year several teams took a lightly used engine for spa, and a new one for monza, reusing the spa-engine once again at a later time in the season

Last edited:
They don't have to use the engines in sequence though, right?

For example, if they have 5 engines, ran the Spec A in the first two races, they can make engine 2 of 5 the Spec B, run it from now on without penalty, and just go back to 1 of 5 (Spec A) later if 2 of 5 isn't going to last? So they're not really "down one engine" by sticking a Spec B in the car?

Or are they not allowed to stick a previous spec engine back in the car later once the upgrade has been homologated?

When they've homologated the engine they can't go back. From then on they are stuck with it. That's why most manufacturers will likely not homologate before the third or even fourth iteration. That's the engine they have to start with as abase for next year, too. Only exception is Honda. They had to homologate on march 3rd. They can only bring reliability upgrades and by the look of things they badly need them.

Last edited:
Not true. FIA has granted Honda the same general rules as the other suppliers as an exception.

Not true. FIA has granted Honda the same general rules as the other suppliers as an exception.

this. they got an average of the tokens the other manufacturers had remaining when the first race started.
(=9 token for honda)

Ok everyone is too lazy to make the threads so we're all just gonna migrate here.

During all the drama I just lost it during Kimi's "well that's not very nice". :lol: And to be fair it was a bit rude and I'm surprised Ricciardo would pull such a scrappy move.

Does anyone else think Grosjean braked a bit early? Shoutout to those barriers; (techpro?) that was an absolutely massive shunt and the kid walked away no problem. Anyone know how much they cost?

Ok everyone is too lazy to make the threads so we're all just gonna migrate here.

During all the drama I just lost it during Kimi's "well that's not very nice". :lol: And to be fair it was a bit rude and I'm surprised Ricciardo would pull such a scrappy move.

Does anyone else think Grosjean braked a bit early? Shoutout to those barriers; (techpro?) that was an absolutely massive shunt and the kid walked away no problem. Anyone know how much they cost?

I was thinking that when it happened, a couple of years ago that was just armco, and they're likely carting Max off in an ambulance with shattered feet.

mercedes should appoligise so hard to hamilton
i don't understand at all why they called him in...

I thought the guys behind were pitting so when the team said stay out, I said these tires would drop in temps. I was concerned they were on options, so with that thinking, I came in with the full confidence that the others had done the same.

Maybe HAM is just an idiot..

MCLAREN IN THE POINTS. The power of dreams propels forward. Mchonda has been the most exciting thing in a very long time. I want to see them succeed so badly but at the same time they can crash and burn so very hard.

Not often do you see "returns to form" but I very desperately want to see a Mclaren + Alonso domination.

mercedes should appoligise so hard to hamilton
i don't understand at all why they called him in...

Trying to be clever because they thought it was only a virtual safety car, which would effectively have given them a free pit stop. They were trying to give Lewis a free set of new boots.

I quite enjoyed it going wrong though.

Trying to be clever because they thought it was only a virtual safety car, which would effectively have given them a free pit stop. They were trying to give Lewis a free set of new boots.

he didn't need them

and no way vettel was ever pitting if the mercs disappeared from in front of him