Ownership Verified: 2015 Mazda 3 S Grand Touring - First new car purchase!

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
Proof pics at the end. GF would give me grief about wasting paper to print the profile. :rolleyes:

First and foremost:
Fuck you, you feathered bird-brained mother fuckers! 12 god-damned hours!
IMG_0965_zps9ljx3niz.jpg

*sigh*

Front:
IMG_0996edit_zps5xuunit7.jpg

IMG_0995edit_zpsilij3qgj.jpg

IMG_0994edit_zps9k9atdhv.jpg

IMG_0993edit_zpsgbzjokx9.jpg

IMG_1019edit_zpswlcifkk8.jpg

IMG_1005edit_zpseepuk8fi.jpg

IMG_1002edit_zpsblzmn8id.jpg

IMG_1001edit_zpsidr5xell.jpg

IMG_0999edit_zpsmsruwbg0.jpg

Side:
IMG_0968_zps6obkpaj3.jpg

IMG_0969_zpshyo2nes8.jpg

IMG_0977_zpsgyursgng.jpg

IMG_1006_zpslsvkfbyh.jpg

Notice the fogged up windows of the Hyundai in the car behind mine. After I noticed it, I stopped taking photos. :lol:
IMG_1010_zpsgikpuu70.jpg

IMG_1011_zpsogh0bdox.jpg

IMG_1012_zpsspc3mcw4.jpg

Rear:
IMG_0970edit_zpspjpoukg9.jpg

IMG_0971edit_zpsu1a7utqu.jpg

IMG_0974edit_zpsyxrw8q8c.jpg

IMG_0975edit_zpsdzdfa0gu.jpg

IMG_0976edit_zpscplv42s2.jpg

IMG_0997edit_zps3rt7fckh.jpg

IMG_0998edit_zpsex3wo1kn.jpg

Close-ups:

Should have taken a pic at the dealership...only had 4 when I picked it up.
IMG_1022_zpsrulduoac.jpg

IMG_0978_zps8wuylkjo.jpg

IMG_0992_zps6erhxmpd.jpg

IMG_0980_zpsky20ziru.jpg

IMG_0979_zpsrwzp5llb.jpg

Interior:
I wish there was an option to get nice cloth seats on these upper trim levels. As soon as you start adding desirable options, it "upgrades" you to "leatherette", which sucks ass (almost literally). You have to go up to Grand Touring to get real leather on the seating surfaces (leatherette everywhere else). Heated, but not ventilated seats. That bit of text on the floor mats? It's a permanent label that tells you not to put floor mats on top of these floormats. <_<
IMG_0987_zpsjwhzykmf.jpg

IMG_0985_zpspucvpj1u.jpg

IMG_0984_zpsy4pnyn31.jpg

IMG_0986_zpsstx8jjbd.jpg

IMG_0991_zpsvkchnew3.jpg

IMG_0989_zpspbr4lubp.jpg

IMG_0990_zpsvaejuq7t.jpg

IMG_0982_zps1dwkvnc6.jpg

IMG_0988_zpsnlnnilzo.jpg

IMG_1007_zpsen6bukxu.jpg

IMG_1013_zpsvxirkwr5.jpg

Not gonna lie...it's odd to drive without a real speedometer...just a tach and a digital speed readout.
IMG_1015_zpswqv2pc4f.jpg

Hmm...in person the digital readout is larger on this screen. It also displays the next navigation direction below it, including the multi-lane-which-lane-to-take thing.
IMG_1014_zps7thukrji.jpg

Proof:
Proof2_zpsv0yuuoce.jpg

Proof_zps3tiisopu.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: lip
Girlfriend just bought a VW e-Golf two weekends ago. The funny thing is that while it's a got a $8K higher MSRP, it ended up costing her almost $3K less after state and federal tax credits...it's also, frankly, got nicer interior materials and air vents for the back seats (which the Mazda 3 lacks).

That said, the UI for the media/nav unit is soooo much slicker, and more responsive than the unit in the VW, which was just re-done recently. The voice in the Mazda even sounds better/more natural. The only odd thing, when I plug it in, I can run Pandora on my phone, and it will display the track info and album art on the display...but if I want to use the Pandora app and the thumb-up, thumb-down and bookmark functionality, it only connects to the car's Pandora app via Bluetooth, which is worse audio quality (it's fine until you get about 1/3 up on the volume knob).

I can find a more comfortable driving position in the Mazda, except for a problem that happens on virtually every car in this class. I put the seat in the furthest-back position in most of these cars...but because they are small sedans, the front doors are also short, so the seat is "behind" the door frame. Not only does this mean I bump into it every time I get in or out of the car, but it also means that the armrest in the door is actually "ahead" of me by a few inches. I'm normally a passenger in the Golf, so I can pull the seat more forward and it's not an issue...but when in a comfortable driving position, the seat is all the way back.

The Bose sound system is pleasantly adequate (I normally haaaate most anything Bose). I hope it won't be a pain to upgrade later...

The car is heavier than my Mercury Cougar, but has about the same hp...but it feels so much quicker. I'm assuming that most any given 6spd tranny is just inherently that much better than any given 4-speed. Between the sport mode, and the shift paddles, it's reasonably fun to drive (less than a manual, obviously, but...). Drove it up one twisty fun hill, and it feels way more planted than my old car. More...*ahem*..."grounded to the ground*.
mqdefault.jpg

I got the "S" model, with the 185hp 2.5L, rather than the 150hp 2.0L. There's a 2 combined MPG penalty, but it's oh-so-much better off the line, and on the hwy. The 150hp "I" model felt slow, but still felt way faster than, say, the 140hp 2.0 in the Subaru Impreza.

The leather-wrapped wheel is shaped nicely, but the leather is definitely lower-quality leather than what was in my Mercury.

I really should have worked the optional interior light kit in with the negotiated price. I saw that it was sold separately, and thought "How hard can it be?" Turns out the installation document is 30 pages long.

Strange...there appears to be a hole for a glovebox light, and an aftermarket interior LED conversion kit I bought came with a glovebox light...but I don't see it listed as a feature on any model, on any trim package, or in any of the option packages.

I'll also say that the rear cargo area in the Golf is also better designed, and of seemingly higher-quality materials, but with the cargo mat, I hope it is durable enough.

May add the splash guards, aluminum pedals, Cargo hooks and nets, and the cargo storage shelf (shown below...seems handy)
14M3cargostorageshelf.jpg

The exterior of the 3 Hatch is fantastic. I approve of this message, especially in grey. :)

Thanks!

The silver is actually not bad, as it's darker than most silvers. The red was a $300 upgrade (along with the white, but I hate white cars), but if I could have gotten it without the upcharge, I would have taken it. I like the grey more, but the red is better "functionally" (keeps the car a teensy-bit cooler, and it's waaay easy to spot in a parking lot amongst the sea of black, grey, silver and white cars.

The dark blue is great-looking, and if I lived somewhere that wasn't so dusty, I might have considered it...but it looks dirty IMMEDIATELY (almost as bad as black). The light blue is interesting, but...meh. Girlfriend didn't like the "Titanium Flash", brownish-bronze-y color.

I do wish the interior options were a bit different. The optional "almond" interior upgrade puts off-white-ish leather on the seats. I wear bluejeans too often to own light-colored leather seating.

Last edited:
That grill has always made me think Bubba (see Forest Gump). But congrats. May it give you a million miles of fairly trouble free driving.

This being FinalGear and all, what's your excuse for getting it with a slushbox? :p

That is the most massive licence plate frame I have (n)ever seen, though you can seemingly cover the state information and stuff in the US so it's not quite so bad. You could still get one (two) of these:
MC_License_Plate_Frame_5_row1.580.jpg

This being FinalGear and all, what's your excuse for getting it with a slushbox? :p

1) I do a lot of driving here:
81876289_92fec9d242_b.jpg

semitruck-stuck-on-hill-front.jpg

And also here:
20130726_071152_congestion2_300.jpg

130706205211-42-san-francisco-plane-crash-horizontal-gallery1.jpg

2) girlfriend needs to be able to drive it, and I dont want her to learn on on MY car.

- - - Updated - - -

That is the most massive licence plate frame I have (n)ever seen, though you can seemingly cover the state information and stuff in the US so it's not quite so bad. You could still get one (two) of these:
MC_License_Plate_Frame_5_row1.580.jpg

Hmm...they are $150 each...but it would be worth it for the prefered parking in would undoubtedly get in certain neighborhoods.

He, yeah, they are a bit massive, but I'm actually impressed that they are chromed metal, and not white-printed black plastic.

Congrats on the new ride!

Thanks! I had a rental Velowter today...and while it was interesting, it just made me miss my Mazda...but at the same time, the fabric seats reinforced my preference for fabric over leather...and this wasn't even very nice fabric.

The main complaint about the Mazda is road noise, and i would agree with that. I'll bet it would be better with 1" smaller wheels and cushier tires.

Dang, I love this car. :)

I think every single person in my office came up to me and told me how great it looks. It's really fun to drive, too, considering it's class. Way better than the Corola, Fit, Civic, Golf, Elantra GT, Versa Note, Veloster and Focus. OK, so maybe not WAY better than the Golf or Focus, but I still prefer it.

I half wish I got the red just because it's easier to spot in a parking lot.

Even though it has a 2.5L engive, and so did my old car (4cyl vs V6, though, and 4-speed vs 6-speed trans), I'm so far averaging 10+mpg than my old car.

That head's up display is probably a gimmick for most, but I've had this car for less then a week, and I've already gotten used to it and appreciate it.

I likey in that grey. Solid new car purchase.

it's fine until you get about 1/3 up on the volume knob

Make sure the volume on your phone is set to maximum, otherwise your stereo is trying to amplify a weaker signal more which results in more distortion. If you start with a louder volume, it won't have to amplify it as much and it shouldn't distort as much.

At least that's my guess.

Makes sense now :p

Indeed. :) She used to live in Berkeley, too. *shivers*

I likey in that grey. Solid new car purchase.

I agree, great color choice on a good little car.

Thanks! :)

Make sure the volume on your phone is set to maximum, otherwise your stereo is trying to amplify a weaker signal more which results in more distortion. If you start with a louder volume, it won't have to amplify it as much and it shouldn't distort as much.

At least that's my guess.

Oh, for sure...actually, I find that it works best one notch below max...but still, once I get about 1/3 of the way up, you start to notice that it's not from a CD or plugged in. I noticed this on my Bose bluetooth speaker as well. It sounds better when it's plugged in through the aux jack. I can go up to about 1/2 way before it's bad enough to bother me.

700 mile update:

I love love love love it!

The not-so-great:

After driving cheap rental cars quite a bit the last couple months, it just reinforced my opinion that I would rather have high quality cloth seats than the leather I have. Still a bummer than if you want the 2.5L, you are stuck with "leatherette" unless you go to the highest trim level. Perhaps if they were ventilated...but they aren't, and I get very warm in them. Yes, the seat warmers are turned off. :)

I will say that the ceiling is probably the cheapest looking and feeling in any car I've driven. It seems it's not a fabric...it's more like just fuzzy cardboard. I also feel like the moonroof slider shade will likely sag over a short amount of time, especially since I park outside 99.99% of the time. The visors are pretty cheap, too, but at least they have slide-out extenders.

The transmission generally performs pretty well (I find I'm in the correct gear quite often)...but it's slow to up-shift manually, even in Sport mode.

I can find a really comfortable driving position...however, it's aaaaall the way back, so rear legroom behind me is bad. It's an inconvenience to have to move my seat forward when I want to fold down the back seat behind me.

I do kinda wish I would have sprung for the radar cruise control...but it was an expensive package bundled with other features I really didn't see a need for.

The GPS has been spotty in it's showing of the speed limit. I've turned it on and off, and it doesn't seem to stay on anymore. Now it only shows it when I'm speeding.

The dash is covered in a nice-looking soft-touch rubber...but it's "grippy" rubber, so it's hard to keep dust free. It was a tiny bit dusty, so I grabbed my almost-new Swiffer from the house. After one swipe, my dash was dustier, as it seemed to pull dust OFF of the Swiffer. Ha! I feel like my ceiling is making all the dust, since the upholstery is all leather/faux leather (only fibers can come from the carpet, and the ceiling)

What I really like:*

Steering feels great. Comparing it to the Focus, e-Golf, Veloster, Versa Note, and Sonic, only the Focus could hold a candle.

The engine and transmission are very well-paired. I am obviously not doing burnouts or drag races...but I always feel like I have all the power I need when I press on the gas.

The navigation is sooo nice compared to using my phone. On one clear screen, it shows me the name of the road I'm on, my next direction, which lane I need to be in to stay on my route, the speed limit, all the surrounding gas stations and parking lots/garages (something that was a pain in the phone), and the services available on the next 3 exits...as well as 3D buildings (some even with accurate full-color renderings), etc. I can pull up the laws of unmarked speed limits in any state, the BAC limit in Canada and mexico, and how many satellites I'm "connected" to.

The GUi is super responsive...and not even "compared to" anything else, it responds almost as well as my iPad after a fresh reboot. It's like a BluRay player compared to the VCR-like unit in my GF's Golf. That thing looks like it's not even running at the screen's (low) native resolution.

I put a 32GB USB drive with 24GB of music on it, and it's usually playing music by the time I've pulled out of my parking spot, and starting down the road. It's quick to connect to my phone, and two people I have talked to have said that my calls are clearer when in my car than it is when I'm just talking into the phone.

A common complaint about the system is that it's pretty involved with a lot of options...however, after one session with it while just sitting in my driveway going through menu-by-menu, to set up my defaults, the majority of those menus are never visited again. Like, when I pick the number of seconds that the headlights stay on after I exit the car? Are you really going to be changing that setting every day? No? You'll set it once, and never go back to it again. I've also found that the things that you might need to change more often, like the height alignment of the HUD, are located in easy-to find locations and are generally the first option within that menu, so it's really only one or two "clicks" away. Like...I can pull up the Satellite radio traffic map "app" without even looking at the screen. Spin the main knob it all the way to the left to the "apps" menu (it's only two spots over, but the selection won't pass it if you spin it all the way, so it's an easy "stop) and click the knob, and then click the knob again to select the traffic map. That's it. The "Favorites" area is quite nice. You can save a selection of favorite audio selections, contacts, and locations, and the favorites menu is one press away on the "*" button in the center console.

All of the controls (for both the car, and the infotainment system) feel really nice, and very logical to the way my brain works.

The HUD is super fun, but I fully understand that it's likely going to be one of the first things that fail.

Dual Zone climate control is awesome. I had mine in 66, and hers on 74. Neither of us felt a warm/cool breeze from the opposite side the whole drive. Nice that each can have their own locations (floor, vent, defrost) selected, too.

Two coworkers have told me that they think they bought the wrong car, after seeing mine. :lol: one bought a Corolla, and one bought an Elantra GT.

These headlights are soooooo much better that the ones in any car I've had before. I'm amused when I catch them "steering". I *thought* the high beams were supposed to be controlled when in the headlights' "auto" setting, but that doesn't seem to be the case...or perhaps I'm just more cautious about blinding people than the system is...

*I readily admit that perhaps many of these things will be the same with any new car (2001 has bee my newest car up until now), so they may seem like those reviews of flat-panel or HD TVs from people who haven't had one before: "It"s so much thinner then my old TV! It's so sharp, too!"

"Mods" (ha!)
I've already replaced all of the interior lights with brighter, cooler-colored LEDs. Perhaps overkill, but my last car had shitty lights, so I wanted to make sure they were quite bright.

I don't want to do anything too crazy appearance-wise, but I think this color would look awesome with yellow or orange-painted brake calipers.

I bought the "real" optional "cargo shelf". It sits just below the cargo-area cover. There are two bummers: 1) it pretty much blocks the cargo area light so the cargo area is completely dark, and b) while it keeps the cargo area tidy, it's been in the way a lot. I've had to remove it 4-5 times already. I never even installed the Velcro strips that it comes with to secure it, assuming I'd just wear 'em out...it should be fine, unless I park facing up a very steep hill...it might slide out then...we'll see. May not keep it. I might put grippy rubber strips instead. hmm...
14M3cargostorageshelf.jpg

I thought about buying the official interior light kit, which includes lights for the footwells and I believe the glove compartment? But when I looked up the installation instructions, they were 30 pages long!! When I bring my car in for its first (free) service at the dealership, i'll ask them about the cost to have them install it.

I also want the (factory original) aluminum pedals, but I need to find out if they can be added afterwards. I know the are aftermarket options, but I want to keep it all stock where possible.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're really enjoying your car! Congrats! :D I hear ya with the whole "they may seem like those reviews of flat-panel or HD TVs from people who haven't had one before: "It"s so much thinner then my old TV! It's so sharp, too!" thing. I kinda felt that way when I bought the Accord.

Isn't the MazdaConnect system both a touchscreen and a knob? Which one do you find yourself using more?

The touch screen is deactivated once you go more than a couple of mph...so I definitely use the knob more. Plus, I've been making a point to use the knob as much as possible, because I want to keep the screen fingerprint free (although it's been fairly fingerprint resistant). I wish there was a way for there to be some sort of electrical connection between the passenger seat and the screen, so that someone sitting in the passenger seat can interact with the touch screen. It seems silly that I can't have a passenger use the screen when in motion. I also wish it were a DVD video player (for use while parked), but that's not available at all in this car.

The one thing the Golf's system does that I like is, when you click the "voice command" button, it shows you a menu of the most common available commands. On the Mazda, you have to just know them, or you try to guess (often multiple times) what the correct command is. I really only use it for "Call [name of contact]", "Navigate to address", or "Navigate home". I really should use it to change music sources too, but I haven't bothered to memorize those commands yet, and when I do get lucky and guess it (after several tries), I don't remember which one worked. Ha!

Last edited: