2016 British Grand Prix

mpicco

Forum Addict
Car(s)
R19
Couple drops on the track, bring out the safety car start.

Can we let these drivers, the best in the world, display their skills for once??

With the frequency of this happening, I'm starting to wonder if they should just abandon standing starts altogether and do rolling starts behind the safety car.

Ayrton would be spinning in his grave at this.

Oh look, we have a Mercedes 1 & 2 right now. *yawn* It was a fun, exciting race until the moment it wasn't and Mercedes got out front again. It feels like cheating how they're so much faster than the other cars.

Rosberg under investigation because of radio messages? What is this fucking crap?

Getting so sick and tired of the cotton wooly red tape health and safety culture in F1.

Forgettable race. Already forgot what happened, spent most of it playing on my phone.

I'm getting fed up of all this petty stuff - Red Bull pulled up Mercedes for talking to Rosberg on the radio. They're like children.

Either simplify the cars, or clarify the rules. I'm 90% expecting the British stewards to disqualify Rosberg. It's not a drivers' championship any more, it may as well be a computer test conducted at 200mph.

I'd rather go back to simple petrol engines, stricter regulations and far fewer driver aids. I can really see why it's losing viewers to Indy car. To be honest for me now the highlight of an F1 weekend is becoming the GP2 races.

Last edited:
The stewards won't do anything, and if they do, it'll be a penalty a tenth too short to make him lose a place. If the rules are no coaching, that means no coaching at all. That was CLEARLY coaching to me.

This is one of those races I wonder why I wake up so early on my weekend to "enjoy" F1.

I'm getting fed up of all this petty stuff - Red Bull pulled up Mercedes for talking to Rosberg on the radio. They're like children.

Either simplify the cars, or clarify the rules. I'm 90% expecting the British stewards to disqualify Rosberg. It's not a drivers' championship any more, it may as well be a computer test conducted at 200mph.

I'd rather go back to simple petrol engines, stricter regulations and far fewer driver aids. I can really see why it's losing viewers to Indy car. To be honest for me now the highlight of an F1 weekend is becoming the GP2 races.

Wait, What? Where did you get this from? I've watched some bits of highlights of Indycar and I wasn't really impressed with what I saw.

The only reason I'd watch IndyCar over Formula 1 is timing. It's usually on during a better timeframe for me. I have to wake up special for Formula 1 on my weekends and I still do it.

Also, IndyCars aren't nearly as pretty as Formula 1.

The rules ARE quite clear, no coaching unless it's a safety issue. It wasn't a safety issue and as such it wasn't allowed. The fact that the rule even exists is BECAUSE they want to go back to simpler cars, more driver input and less management from the sidelines.

I thoroughly enjoyed Max doing his thing again, how he passed Rossberg and later on kept him behind for a while. Not really because he's Dutch but because he's an exciting driver who will liven things up for a long time to come.

Last edited:
Supposedly the stewards were going to rule an hour ago, but I can't find any notice of such a ruling as of yet.

To be honest for me now the highlight of an F1 weekend is becoming the GP2 races.

Watching the GP2 Feature Race now and there was more excitement in the first 10 laps on a dry track than the F1 race on a drying track (and I thought the F1 race was pretty solid for the first 30 laps).

The rules ARE quite clear, no coaching unless it's a safety issue. It wasn't a safety issue and as such it wasn't allowed.

It would be nice if the FIA enforced the rules with some semblance of consistency, however. First we're told by the stewards that any car exceeding track limits in qualifying would have their time pulled and Magnussen's is whacked for going wide at Copse. Then first Verstappen and then Raikonnen go wide and there is no penalty. Then Hamilton does and his time is whacked. The stewards then revise their earlier proclamation to note that only certain corners will be considered - Copse not being one of them. Of course, they don't restore Magnusson's earlier time that they scrapped (though Magnusson might have subsequently gone faster).

Last edited:
The rules ARE quite clear, no coaching unless it's a safety issue. It wasn't a safety issue and as such it wasn't allowed. The fact that the rule even exists is BECAUSE they want to go back to simpler cars, more driver input and less management from the sidelines.

I thoroughly enjoyed Max doing his thing again, how he passed Rossberg and later on kept him behind for a while. Not really because he's Dutch but because he's an exciting driver who will liven things up for a long time to come.

If Max gets his hands on a consistently good car, he will be World Champion. Amazing talent, just hope he doesn't burn out.

10 Second penalty puts Nico Rosberg in 3rd, Mercedes are going to appeal the decision which supposedly revolved around telling him to shift through 7th gear. Next up Hungary in 2 weeks time.

Interesting penalty... So telling him he can go to chassis mode 0 is fine, but telling him to skip 7th isn't? Where do they draw the line? Also, he would have lost WAY more than 10 seconds without this info, so I think he was let off easy...

Just a stupid rule. Let the drivers race, let the engineers figure out technical stuff. If you dont want the engineers meddling then at least make the cars a lot less complicated than they are now. If they tossed all the electric battery recovery bullcrap out tomorrow nobody would lose one second of sleep.

Also the safety car starts and the virtual safety car, what is this bullshit? Wasn't the pitlane meant to be closed during safety car periods so people close to the pit lane entry wouldn't gain an advantage vs cars close to the exit which would have to do an entire slow lap until they could pit?

Interesting penalty... So telling him he can go to chassis mode 0 is fine, but telling him to skip 7th isn't?

Yes. Instructions of any type to a driver on gear selection has been prohibited since the 2014 Japanese Grand Prix. So the instructions to Nico to shift to 8th gear immediately and to bypass 7th were not allowed.

Chassis Mode 0 appears to be okay as under the 2014 rules selection of driver default settings was banned other than in the case of a clearly identified problem with the car. As there was a clearly identified problem with the car, I am guessing that was considered allowable information.

The FIA revised the 2014 rules in 2015 for the 2016 season, listing what was acceptable communication and deeming anything else as unacceptable. Under those rules, information about settings could only be relayed in the event of "critical damage" (like a puncture or wing damage). It appears Mercedes is going to argue the loss of 7th gear was "critical damage", however considering Nico didn't lose his position on track, I am going to hazard a guess the FIA will not buy it. :)

I can really see why it's losing viewers to Indy car. To be honest for me now the highlight of an F1 weekend is becoming the GP2 races.

lol, indy car is a joke. each year i start following it, but after 3 races, i give up, the races are just too boring.
and about the GP2, i've been saying that for years: watch GP2 and motoGP for the action, F1 for the drama!

How about let teams talk to their drivers all they want?

What exactly is lost in terms of show or the sport if the engineers are allowed to do their jobs? I just don't get it.

How about let teams talk to their drivers all they want?

What exactly is lost in terms of show or the sport if the engineers are allowed to do their jobs? I just don't get it.

They got the complaint that too much info was coming from the team, and that the driver's role was being diminished, because 1.147 engineers were monitoring every little detail, so nothing would go unnoticed.... which I kinda get...

But being the engineer on the radio you'd have to think thrice before you say ANYTHING that you can't, which is super annoying

They got the complaint that too much info was coming from the team, and that the driver's role was being diminished, because 1.147 engineers were monitoring every little detail, so nothing would go unnoticed.... which I kinda get...

But being the engineer on the radio you'd have to think thrice before you say ANYTHING that you can't, which is super annoying

And still without the driver, you can have a hundred thousand engineers and the car would not move an inch. The guy in the car is ultimately the final gear in the mechanism.
It's not like some teams have engineers and others don't.
The suggestions of these engineers would make the engines last longer, right? Isn't that what FOM requires? Also wouldn't that be an asset for smaller teams?