Ownership Verified: 2016 Chevy (Holden) SS (Commodore)

Vipergts662

Car(s)
2016 Holden Commodore (chevy ss), 2020 Explorer ST
Traded this, never bothered to make a thread about it, 2011 Jaguar XFR

102442d1418171051-new-wheels-20141209_154934.jpg

In on this

13502953_10100829105243812_7043306607463992040_o.jpg

13443151_10100829105233832_4152611245608747788_o.jpg

13490588_10100829105278742_7991194050010153652_o.jpg

Some comparisons between the two

Obviously one cost 82k new and one was 49k new, fit and finish on the Holden is not as good as the Jag mainly the little details the clasp on the center console lid, fuel door etc.

I bought the Jag with 42k miles on the clock in good shape after trading in my 2007 STi, two car seats in the back of an STi is a little tight so a new car was needed. I was looking at the SS when I bought the Jag but settled on the Jag.

Fast forward almost two years and a few test drives of the A6 SS, I finally got around to test driving the M6 and does that make one heck of a difference on this car. The A6 was slow shifting and had terrible throttle lag unlike the Jag where everything was quick and snappy the main reason I kept the Jag.

I really had no intentions of getting rid of the XFR it had not left me dead on the side of the road yet although I did have the water pump replaced which is common on the 5.0 Jag engine and had the blind spot module replaced other than that after 16k miles no other problems and the car had another year of CPO warranty left.

The mag ride and the variable exhaust are nice, when in tour mode the car is comfy and quiet turn the dial to sport or performance and it instantly wakes up.

All said and done I am extremely happy to have a car I have wanted ever since I saw one in Aussieville in 2008, I missed the chance to get the G8 GXP I was not going to let this one get away.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC
Awesome! :cool:

I really like the SS. It's a shame it's going away so soon and difficult to say if Chevrolet will make another V8 powered sedan anytime soon.

Rumors on the SS forum indicate they might continue building it here, we will know soon enough I guess.

Thanks

I have been pleased so far, with the SS I no longer have the feeling in the back of my head like I did with the Jag that one day it will screw me over.

Congratz, awesome car.

So sad it's not available in Canukistan :(

Way to go! I hope to have one of these soon. How's the clutch? I'm not sure if you've driven a v6 camaro, a friend of mine has one and the clutch didn't give me a good feeling of being able to smoothly bring the power in. It was notchy like a light switch. Either you're full in our full out.

Way to go! I hope to have one of these soon. How's the clutch? I'm not sure if you've driven a v6 camaro, a friend of mine has one and the clutch didn't give me a good feeling of being able to smoothly bring the power in. It was notchy like a light switch. Either you're full in our full out.

I have not driven a manual Camaro but your description is close to the clutch in the SS. It is a non linear clutch and the bite point is really close to the floor.

The clutch on the STi was extremely easy to modulate unlike what I have now. Engine braking is a little tricky at first because you can't slowly let the clutch out for the engine to catch up it just happens. You do get use to it after a while, I guess a small compromise for a car like this that many companies do not produce anymore.

What year, color and options are you looking for?

If the clutch is like that, auto for me.

I honestly don't know because, for me to be able to afford one, id have to buy it at 20k and finance 5k. So, it'll be a long while before I can afford one. And no, I'm not going to have one of those 6-9 year loans, that's ridiculous.

Having never ridden in a mag ride GM car. The '14 model would be fine, preferably without a sunroof.

If the clutch is like that, auto for me.

I honestly don't know because, for me to be able to afford one, id have to buy it at 20k and finance 5k. So, it'll be a long while before I can afford one. And no, I'm not going to have one of those 6-9 year loans, that's ridiculous.

Having never ridden in a mag ride GM car. The '14 model would be fine, preferably without a sunroof.

The problem I had with the auto was the terrible throttle and transmission lag, from what I have been reading the Livernois tuner takes care of those issues.

If you are happy with a 14 do not test drive a car with mag ride, you can make it ride as nice as my old XFR or stiffen it up like my old STi and the active exhaust is a really nice feature.

Oh, I thought you meant your jag had the active exhaust valving. That's pretty kickass the SS has it.

They never gave the XFR the electronic exhaust valves the F type has unfortunately, that is why many of us had x pipes installed and the muffler valves cut out.

Launch control is an awesome feature, I used it for the first time today and the wife's sunglasses landed in my daughters lap :D

Hey mate, hope you are enjoying it, I owned a few older variants of the commodore and they can be quite a fun drivers car so I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Just broke the engine and so far so good, my wife is from Brisbane and I think she is secretly excited for when I get the Holden badges on :mrgreen:

A fun story from earlier today

I stopped at a vinyl shop earlier in the SS, there was a customer and an employee standing out front getting measurements on the customers truck. I just happened to have it in performance mode when I started the car apparently the customer was not expecting to hear an LS3 burble to life due to him saying WTF is that thing :mrgreen:

Everyone that has been in the car has been very impressed, the fit and finish is not as nice as the XFR it replaced but you wouldn't expect it to be on a car that cost 30k less.

Death to chrome :mrgreen: I want to meet the focus group Holden/GM used to determine if they should use chrome or keep the trim pieces black.

Of course the entire front clip had to come off to remove the upper, lower and DRL blades.

duP24aa.jpg

Upper is Phantom Black Metallic lower is stock murican bling bling garbage

HZAYdgL.jpg

YD3TqMg.jpg

Fender vents were also changed from chrome to black as well

GRVYSRu.jpg

My next project and I should have done it today when I did the trim is to get the Holden grill and trunk badge of course the entire front clip has to come off again :bangin:

Did you remove the chrome or rough it up and paint it?

Stock Holden parts for the fender vents, DRL blades and grill trim, I dipped the front and back bow ties.

They should have sent them over like this but we gotta have our bling :rolleyes: