Ownership Verified: 2016 Chevy (Holden) SS (Commodore)

Working fine for me in Chrome on my laptop.

oM4YxxO.png

Given the road conditions, especially down in Houston, you might want to invest in some clear Lexan headlight protectors. Probably don't want to try to find more of those if a rock breaks one.

Good point parts will become harder and harder to find as time goes on, will those lexan covers yellow and fade as they get older?

Are the pics working now?

Good point parts will become harder and harder to find as time goes on, will those lexan covers yellow and fade as they get older?

Yes, but they are usually easy to remove and polish off - and depending on design can prevent your actual headlight lenses from yellowing and going opaque.

Cannot believe I missed this thread. Nice Commodore (refuse to call it the US name), love the color too. So happy to see the dumb bow tie come off and the "angry lions" as you put it are on. So someone in the neighborhood has one with the Holden badges, love it. I'd give anything for a VE or VF SSV Ute myself.

Last edited:
Cannot believe I missed this thread. Nice Commodore (refuse to call it the US name), love the color too. So happy to see the dumb bow tie come off and the "angry lions" as you put it are on. So someone in the neighborhood has one with the Holden badges, love it. I'd give anything for a VE or VF SSV Ute myself.

Thanks

A ute would have been awesome and had Bob Lutz gotten his way before Pontiac was killed we would have gotten some over here.

If Dodge made the charger with a manual there would have been a good chance I would have gotten one of those instead of the Commodore.

Thanks

A ute would have been awesome and had Bob Lutz gotten his way before Pontiac was killed we would have gotten some over here.

I was chomping at the bit for that to happen after I saw the Pontiac nose on a Ute when it was almost a thing. I would of done everything at all possible to get one including selling at that time my entire game and vintage knife collection. I loved the El Camino and Ranchero and once I found out about the Ute as a teenager (VR model) I was addicted to the thought of getting one. The VX was probably the first one I truly lusted after. ;)

GM should of never killed Pontiac. Buick and GMC were better to of been killed off. One was irrelevant and the other was redundant. Pontiac actually had an interesting and decent looking line up by comparison.

If Dodge made the charger with a manual there would have been a good chance I would have gotten one of those instead of the Commodore.

You're not alone. This is a complaint that a ton of my fellow MOPAR people make and thus they end up with either the Commodore (SS) or just buy a Challenger. If I didn't have bum knees I would of probably have bought a used G8 GXP or an SS retrofitted with all Holden badgery and some HSV goodies.

So this happened on Saturday, I am not really a fan of the stock wheels but the copper/bronze color looks pretty good with the red. When I get them powder coated I will probably go for a little darker color with more metallic.

n3iVZfB.jpg

oDRvdnD.jpg

I'm not sure about the wheel color, but I'm just glad to see it not-flooded :D. No clue which part of town you're in, but it appears it was one that was at least not too close to the Buffalo Bayou or something alike :D

We are in Tomball north west of downtown on the very north side of Harris county. We did not have any issues in our neighborhood thankfully.

I know bronze/copper on red is a take it or leave it comob and depends a lot on the car, I decided to try it for the fact everyone has done black and some form of grey with red for a reason there are not many colors that work with red. If I can get the right base and top coat combinations maybe more of a bronze color it would look better.

I am thinking about using a flat black base coat on the face of the wheel and maybe a gunmetal base coat on the inside of the spokes with the same top coat color to give it some depth.

Been busy with the car lately, got a paint correction and ceramic coating along with having the upper window trim wrapped flat black. I also swapped out the chrome interior trim for the factory piano black pieces I picked up in Brisbane last month. You will also notice the six piston calipers are a different color than what i had previously posted. Turns out one of the bleeder valves was stripped and from my research I really didn't feel comfortable having it re tapped or using a helicoil on a caliper. Turns out a guy in Detroit was trading in his SS on a Z06 and sold me his calipers for dirt cheap. I also added an MGW shifter, if any of you have a car they make a shifter for you really need to consider buying one.

While at the dealer picking up the trim pieces they had a few dinosaurs sitting in the show room.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"1536","width":"2048","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/r9UOUre.jpg"}[/IMG2][IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"1150","width":"2048","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/qU1BtRs.jpg"}[/IMG2][IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"3024","width":"4032","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/6IrZ4qk.jpg"}[/IMG2][IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"3024","width":"4032","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/QMD4Wku.jpg"}[/IMG2][IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"1536","width":"2048","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/fPr0ddD.jpg"}[/IMG2][IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"1536","width":"2048","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/Sd2GxfO.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"3024","width":"4032","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/5HhwyWD.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
Thanks I got the idea from a charger, they have a similar color combo from the factory. The MGW is amazing, it makes shifting feel that much more mechanical, the clicks and how it shifts from gear to gear is a completely different feeling from any other manual trans I have used. The short shifter on my STi cleaned up some of the play and reduced the throw but this is on a different level I highly recommend them.

Last edited:
Took the car in for an alignment earlier in the week and this happened... Just because you car has a backup camera and sensors doesnt mean they catch everything. I am waiting on his insurance to call fortunately he told the shop owner and waited 20 minutes for me to get there. I also noticed that door handle is loose hopefully everything behind the door skin is ok. For some odd reason parts for these cars are starting to dry up on this side of the pond thanks GM.....

Oh yeah those wheels are new since my last update.

Update

Been doing some lefty and righty driving with the bogan mobile mainly at MSR Houston and a few sessions at COTA last summer.

This thing lives up to the hype it receives and doesn't disappoint, the balance is amazing and it just hunkers down and bits when pushed.

My first track weekend was the summer of 2021 with a set of 255 35 19 indy 500s on the front and a set of 285 35 19 Extreme contacts on the back, I did upgrade the front brakes to the 6 piston calipers and two piece rotors from the CTS-V a few years earlier. I think my fastest lap going CCW was a 1:58.X

I ran CCW in November with a set of Supercar 3s in the same sizes and ended up blistering the fronts from being to aggressive in the bus stop and key hole section of the track, for some reason a 4k pound sedan with no front tire and camber doesn't like being pushed in tight corners.... I got four sessions in on Saturday before screwing up the tires and I was pretty upset with myself for the rest of the weekend needless to say I sat Sunday out and went home early. My fast lap was a 1:52.6

1675913760146.png

1675913785941.png

Fast forward to last weekend, after the dumpster fire with the tires I changed the setup based on feedback from other owners the popular move is to downsize to 18" wheels. The new setup was 275 40 18 square Supercar 3s a 35 series tire was on back order and may have gotten delivered a day or two before the weekend hence the 40 sidewall. I also added a reciever for a tow hook, its been raining like crazy down here and the last thing I needed was to get stuck and yanked out of the mud by the wheels or A pillars.

Two days before the event I tore off the front end and cut up the crash bar to add a universal receiver. No idea why Holden didn't add one from the factory....

1675913992537.png

Can anyone guess the relation to the # on the car.... For some reason a tow hook on a sedan got some interesting looks and a few thumbs up....

1675914031004.png

I started the weekend part time blue solo and ended the weekend part time yellow solo (red is the next and highest run group).

My main focus was to get use to the new wheel setup along with the extra camber, I had -1 in the front last year and had the shop take it to -1.7 which is all you can get out of this car and for some reason no one makes camber plates for it here or in Aussieville....

All said and done I ended Sunday running a 1:49.6 chasing a cam'd C8 on Hoosier slicks.... This car is really really fun to drive but at some point I am going to need to make a decision on what to do with it. Parts are drying up and they are being written off for fender and bumper damage, a Miata is the easy answer but as you can tell I like being different and not sure where to go next.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrsvKi3Ng-E

As an Aussie, you have my sincere condolences on owning a Holden (I'm a Ford girl). Personally I'd have kept the Jaaaaaaaaggg.

Anywho... As for the number on the car, well...Triple 8

As an Aussie, you have my sincere condolences on owning a Holden (I'm a Ford girl). Personally I'd have kept the Jaaaaaaaaggg.

Anywho... As for the number on the car, well...Triple 8

With all the talking Ford did before shutting down their operations over there they never sent the Falcon on the long boat ride to the west coast like Chevy did with the Commodore, that's how I ended up with one. And of course your right, no one at the track had a clue I even had a Peter Brock shirt on Sunday...... :)

With all the talking Ford did before shutting down their operations over there they never sent the Falcon on the long boat ride to the west coast like Chevy did with the Commodore, that's how I ended up with one. And of course your right, no one at the track had a clue I even had a Peter Brock shirt on Sunday...... :)
It remains one of the great tragedies that Ford never exported the BA - FG Falcons.