Spied: 2016 Ford Focus RS spotted for the first time

Ford?s next-generation Focus RS looks to be gaining traction.

Not being FWD - it sure ain't.

I'm expecting a lot of FWD bitching, after years of 'bring the RS to the USA' bitching.

You can't win! Haha.

When people wanted the RS, they wanted a real Ford RS - and that's either RWD or AWD. No one wants FWD. It's been a lose-lose the whole time.

"Likely to come"

"Extremely limited numbers"

When have either of those two comments ever lead to anything good?

"Likely to come"

"Extremely limited numbers"

When have either of those two comments ever lead to anything good?

Well, the article makes it sound like Ford won't be cutting too many corners with the RS.

Since the 2.3-liter Ecoboost is easily capable of more than its 310 hp output in the Mustang, which was dictated more by fuel economy concerns than anything else, the RS is free to pump out between 325 and 350 hp. The higher figure is more likely. This is because as a low-volume, niche product that doesn't compete with the Mustang GT, there's no reason to hold the Focus RS back.

To put the power down, Ford will employ an entirely new AWD system intended for high-output applications. It's not the same system employed on the Fusion, Escape, and MKZ. The new system will employ torque vectoring front and rear to aid handling, and after debuting in the Focus RS it will trickle down to other applications.

Chances are it will cost a decent amount of money. No doubt people will bitch about that instead. "You could get a Mustang GT for less money, what a rip off!" So it only makes sense that Ford would advertise it as a limited edition specialty car, to make it seem more exclusive and interesting.

The 1M was never rumoured. In fact, it was just the opposite until the thing was pretty much in production phase - and that was after the 1-series was well into production, already with twin-turbos. Nothing spectacular happened there. Like, at all. Probably why its successor is just called the M235 without there even being a non-M version. BMW is pretty much doing the exact opposite of what Ford has been doing the past 15 years.

Ford:
Here's a look at a Focus doing 4-wheel drifts! And here's your FWD eco-box.

BMW:
No, we're not going to make an M1 car. But here's your RWD twin-turbo M3 killer.

Last edited:
The 1M was never rumoured. In fact, it was just the opposite until the thing was pretty much in production phase - and that was after the 1-series was well into production, already with twin-turbos. Nothing spectacular happened there. Like, at all. Probably why its successor is just called the M235 without there even being a non-M version. BMW is pretty much doing the exact opposite of what Ford has been doing the past 15 years.
Really? The 1M blew away both the automotive press and the BMW hardcore, and no one was expecting that from this parts bin car. And it was quite the limited production.

Also, the M2 will be the 1M successor, not the M235i, which itself is a companion (not successor) of the not-for-Canada M135i. And there is a non M version of the 2-series as well, the 228i, not to mention the not-for-Canada 220i and 218d.

Last edited:
The "automotive press" is "blown away" by whoever pays their bills - and no "BMW hardcore" was impressed with this, I don't know where you get your news. And yes, I know there are other models than the M235 - I was saying there isn't a 235, it's automatically an "M"235.

When people wanted the RS, they wanted a real Ford RS - and that's either RWD or AWD. No one wants FWD. It's been a lose-lose the whole time.

Srs?
There have been plenty of great fwd performance cars. I suggest that by limiting your choices based on what wheels are doing the driving, you are only missing out on a hell of a lot that the motoring world has to offer.
Focus RS has always been fwd, so although I'm sure an AWD one would not be out of the question, I'd say its more than likely that the new one will continue the trend.

... and no "BMW hardcore" was impressed with this

Uhhm I think quite a lot of BMW hardcore fans were impressed with it. Because upping the boost basically made it the better M3 because of less weight and half the price...

I'm not even going to rise to that. There's been a number of very very good FWD Ford RS cars. When people wanted the Focus RS in the US, they wanted the Focus RS. Y'know, the type that's always been FWD.

Well, the article makes it sound like Ford won't be cutting too many corners with the RS.

Chances are it will cost a decent amount of money. No doubt people will bitch about that instead. "You could get a Mustang GT for less money, what a rip off!" So it only makes sense that Ford would advertise it as a limited edition specialty car, to make it seem more exclusive and interesting.

a focus with more power than a mustang would be awesome though :lol:

:woot:

Fully unveiled.

Ford may be an American-based car company, but for too long they've kept one of their hottest offerings out of the hands of Americans. No more. Meet the 2016 Ford Focus RS, the 320 horsepower all-wheel drive monster hatch we've been waiting for.

The "normal" Focus ST is one of the best hot hatches around, coming to the table with a 2.0-liter turbo four with 252 horsepower and 270 pound-feet of torque. The Focus RS ups the ante with a 2.3-liter turbo four, sourced from the Mustang EcoBoost, with 'at least' 320 horsepower and 'at least' 320 pound-feet of torque. Yeah, that'll do.

What'll do even more is that the power is linked to a six speed MANUAL gearbox. A gearbox where you can select your own gear. This is wonderful, grand, delightful, excellent news.

Ford also announced the new RS has the one performance feature that hoons have been begging for the most: all-wheel drive. The last RS was front-wheel drive but largely free of crippling torque steer thanks to its RevoKnuckle suspension, but the new one will go full rally-grade with proper four-wheel power. And that's really where it should be these days.

And it's not your regular dumb all-wheel drive. The Focus RS has torque vectoring all-wheel drive and can send up to 100 percent of available power to one wheel. It monitors conditions between the front and rear continuously in order to establish where all that power goes. As expected, that AWD system (which was not totally expected), is paired with a revised and upgraded suspension with stiffer springs, sway bars, and adjustable dampers. It has electric power steering, but Ford promises "excellent feet."

Yep. This thing is going to be a monster.

Last edited:
That's going to be a mighty tasty machine, no doubt.