Spied: 2016 Ford Focus RS spotted for the first time

Dibs on the SVT. :p

[video=youtube;Qy-mhyUAaqE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy-mhyUAaqE[/video]

I like the sound it makes.

Good job, Ford.

Really like the noise it makes, and I love the interior. But I still don't like the rear of the new focus, even with a new rear spoiler and a huge rear wing I don't know if I could live with it. Maybe I just have to get used to it.
But it's really cool and I guess it will be fantastic to drive, so maybe I will get one second-hand in a few years when the prices has dropped. I wonder what colors it will be available in...

The Ford Focus RS will again be the bully-boy of the hot-hatch genre, with huge outputs from its 2.3-litre turbo engine confirmed.

To match its lairy exterior, the all-wheel drive Focus RS will make a massive 440Nm between 2000rpm and 4500rpm, with 470Nm available for 15 seconds of full-throttle overboost. The accompanying 257kW will arrive just before the 6800rpm cut-out.

Those figures throw dirt in the face of the suit-and-tie Volkswagen Golf R (221kW/380Nm) and the darling of racing circuits, the 202kW/360Nm Renault Megane RS275.

The Ecoboost engine is a unique adaptation of that in the Ford Mustang, adding a less restrictive air intake, a larger compressor for the twin-scroll turbo and a bigger intercooler. In fact, the RS?s jutted-out nose is needed to house the largest-ever radiator fitted to a Focus, ?which provides the level of cooling demanded for intense circuit driving?.

A big bore exhaust, Ford politely says, ?helps optimise the balance of back pressure and noise output?. If ever there was a doubt the emphasis would be on the latter, the brand also adds this: ?engineers have tuned the RS to deliver a rewarding and sporty sound character during spirited driving, with the distinctive burbles and pops that are a RS signature?.

Ken Block will drive a prototype Ford Focus RS at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in July. Which is fitting because it?s the first Focus RS to get multiple driver-selectable modes including launch control and, um, a Drift Mode that ?allows controlled oversteer drifts?.

In addition there are also Normal, Sport and Track modes. Sport makes the throttle more responsive, the exhaust louder and the steering firmer. Track adds a more aggressive all-wheel drive tune with wider slip angles for the stability control and harder suspension damping (that can also be independently selected/deselected).

Its torque vectoring systems allows 70 per cent of drive to be sent to the rear wheels and 100 per cent of that to either side of the car. Ford gives an example of negotiating a hard left-hand bend where the Focus RS would fire 55 per cent of drive to the rear wheels and then 90 per cent of that portion to the outside right wheel that has the most traction.

http://www.motormag.com.au/news/1506/ford-focus-rs-power-revealed/

Hopefully it will be available in some other colors aswell. Not a fan of this one.
Also, Drift Mode :thumbsup:

I want one, in THAT color!

Last edited:
So it's got 257 Kenworths and 440 numa numa yays. How do you aussies use this units that we only ever use in eight grade when we study simple machines? Is there a translation into Northern Hemisphere?

EDIT: So it's 345 HP. I think we'll see this version of the 2.3 in the mustang soon enough. Good kind of power bump for a refresh.

You must have really advanced eighth graders, since NASA is staffed exclusively by them!

Canadian price revealed:

Ford Canada said:
Ford Performance engineers worked closely with Michelin to develop high-performance 235/35 R19 Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires to complement the driving dynamics of the Focus RS. Ford Performance engineers have also approved the Michelin 225/40R18 Pilot Alpin PA4 winter tires and developed an 18" RS alloy wheel for cold weather applications. In Canada, a winter tire/wheel package will be standard equipment on the Focus RS and will be shipped separately to the dealership."

"The Focus RS is a German-built fully-equipped high performance AWD compact car that is competitively priced with its competition. In Canada, the Focus RS in Canada will be offered in one fully-equipped orderable configuration with no free-standing options, except for the chargeable Nitrous Blue Quad-Coat paint. The RS MSRP is $46969 plus $1600 D&D and $100 Federal A/C tax. The Nitrous Blue Quad-Coat paint has a $995 MSRP. The $46,969 MSRP includes heated power Recaro leather seats, heated mirrors, heated steering wheel, SYNC 3 with Navigation, Sony Audio System with 10 speakers with SiriusXM radio, Power Moonroof, RS Car Cover, 19" Premium Painted Forged Alloy wheels, 19" Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 summer tires, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 18" Winter Tire & RS Alloy Wheel Package (this winter tire/wheel package is shipped separately to the dealership) plus a whole lot more. A complete Order Guide and Price List will be published to dealers in the near future.

So 46969$, a bit more than I expected, but it comes standard with all the option you have to pay for in the USA (except the Nitrous Blue paint), and with a free extra set of wheels, 18" with winter tires. :notbad:

Canadian price revealed:

So 46969$, a bit more than I expected, but it comes standard with all the option you have to pay for in the USA (except the Nitrous Blue paint), and with a free extra set of wheels, 18" with winter tires. :notbad:
Boy, Ford is really working us over on the currency change (see GT350 pricing). At this price, I can buy a 2SS 2016 Camaro, or a Scat Pack Challenger.

Great car, Ford. But fuck you right up the ass, Ford Canada.

Edit: fuck you up the ass with a GT350-sized flat plane crank.

Last edited:
Boy, Ford is really working us over on the currency change (see GT350 pricing). At this price, I can buy a 2SS 2016 Camaro, or a Scat Pack Challenger.

Great car, Ford. But fuck you right up the ass, Ford Canada.

Edit: fuck you up the ass with a GT350-sized flat plane crank.

What exactly do you think the USD-CAD exchange rate is?

It's more complicated than that. Suffice to say, when the CDN was at, near (i.e. above 0.95) or above par with the USD, most manufacturers (incl Ford) dragged their heels a LONG time before adjusting their prices from the previous standard of 0.70, and even then most made sure to a) not actually decrease it sufficiently, and b) colluded with one another and their respective U.S. branches to circumvent the Canada-US Free Trade Agreement to actually void warranties on new cars purchased in the U.S. to be brought back here (even though the cars are for all intents and purposes mechanically identical, save for the metrics displayed and the Canadian DRLs).

Our dollar takes a swan dive for less than six months, and Ford Canada isn't wasting anytime reverting back to the status quo with price gouging.

As I said in my earlier post, I can spend the same money on this car as I can on one of two V8 powered behemoths from the other two "Domestic" manufacturers, who have been much more wary of jacking prices to what may or may not be a temporary currency fluctuation. In the U.S., the RS is a 5-7 grand less than those other cars (2SS Camaro or Scat Pack Challenger) I mentioned. As I also alluded to, the GT350 is sold in the U.S. for 7-8 grand less than a stripper Corvette, but here they are par.

TLDR: Ford doesn't want to sell hi-po variants of their cars in Canada, based on how much more they are charging compared to their competitors.

Last edited:
If only it was 47k here in AU.
If you want price gouging, wait until the price in Australia is revealed. 55k wouldn't be out of the question.