2016 Formula 1 Season Thread

Renaultsport has just done their press conference and announced Jolyon Palmer and Kevin Magnussen as their drivers.

All things considered it is quite a fortunate turn of events for Kevin. Even though he might not be the second coming of jesus that he was hyped up to be in the Danish media he did deserve a second go at F1 after the shitty treatment he got by Ron Dennis.

I haven't got a picture yet, but the car is mostly black with yellow details. The rear portion of the car is matte black. It looks quite nice IMO.

As a consequence of Kevin joining the team, the danish clothing company "best seller" will be one of the sponsors hence the "jack & jones" brand logos on the car.

Edit: Here it is

Last edited:
Pretty rad with the matte in the back, I wonder if it does anything to the airflow.
Very black on black though

So the Williams is 100% identical to last years car (well 99%) and Ferrari have kept the white! :woot:

279887.jpg

So the Williams is 100% identical to last years car (well 99%) and Ferrari have kept the white! :woot:

279887.jpg

What's with the black area behind the cockpit where the Hublot logo is? It's like they forgot to paint it. I'm ok with more white on the design, but this comes across as tacky, especially with the green and red lines. In fact, there's a lot of lines on it that don't really seem to complement the curves and shape of the car and it all looks a bit cluttered and messy.

As for the Ferrari logo on the side, I've seen a high res photograph showing it up close and it's a nasty, shoddy piece of work. It's like they tried to apply a drop shadow to the logo in Photoshop but forgot they had already applied a border around the logo using the stroke function. So when the logo has been hastily pasted over the black area of the car you can see the jagged border.

The whole concept is amateurish. It's like they got the intern who raised his hand and said 'I have Photoshop on my laptop, I've never used it but I'm pretty good with MS paint'.

My guess is they purposely did the white with the colours etc to hide something in the shape ?

My guess is they purposely did the white with the colours etc to hide something in the shape ?

they reintroduced the white because the all red cars were from the di montezemelo-era
that era is gone, and they wanted to make it clear for everyone...

Hamilton says his winning streak has not been as boring as Vettel's

His reasoning is that since he's only won 2 in a row and Vettel 4, then Vettel's dominance was more boring.
I strongly disagree, and I really hated the Vettel years.
Vettel won 2010 in a close last race decision championship, 2011 was boringly dominated. 2012 was again down to the wire and 2013 another domination.

In other news, Bernie said F1 is so boring he wouldn't take his family to see a race
Well who's fault is that, sunshine?

Bernie is as always running his mouth and is not to be taken seriously. Let's dispel with this fiction that Bernie doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing.

Maybe they didn't quite get the idea behind the "biggest circus in the world" and decided that F1 was for laughs...

Last edited:
And leading the stalling is Bernie, who after Australia called the new format "crap" and said he never supported it's implementation. :rolleyes:

Guess he's still upset at Bahrain for vetoing the Qatar Grand Prix and costing him scores of millions in sanctioning fees. :p

What the actual fuck, the elimination qualifier is back in for Bahrain?!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123446/elimination-qualifying-to-stay-for-bahrain

Force india was quite vocal that the race itself was a direct result of the qualifying debacle...
all the top teams were forced to use the softer tires to get throught to Q2 and this had an effect on strategies during the race
so yeah, it was a farce, but if a qualifying farce means we'll be getting awesome races, i'm all for it!

My memory is a bit hazy of Q1 but if I recall correctly Ferrari only had 1 run in Q1 and a lot of the teams didn't even have enough time to set a second one seeing as they were all in the middle of hot laps as they were knocked out. I suspect Force India are really just thinking "we got a good result so maybe we get another better result with this qualifying" since they've had luck with Bahrain in the past, shameless bastards.

I sure hope qualifying is a disaster again. The opening minutes may be crazy, but it falls off from there. The old system is designed to maintain the action and build up to more exciting climaxes. It's just better.

I really don't understand why they're messing around with qualifying. They want to mix the grid up, but doesn't that simply defeat the purpose of qualifying? They might as well save everyone the trouble and just arbitrarily set the grid however they want. Of course they want quali to be an exciting show too, but these forced changes just make it seem a bit artificial.

I sure hope qualifying is a disaster again. The opening minutes may be crazy, but it falls off from there. The old system is designed to maintain the action and build up to more exciting climaxes. It's just better.
I always thought they should've used a reversed variant of the old qualifying system. The slowest 8 from the previous race goes out in Q1, the middle 7 are allowed to join in in Q2, and finally the fastest 7 only get Q3 to try and set a good time.

Of course, that would require the tyre restriction to be thrown out, as otherwise those starting in Q1 or Q2 would just park when they figure they can't do a faster lap.