2016 Formula 1 Season Thread

I sure hope qualifying is a disaster again. The opening minutes may be crazy, but it falls off from there. The old system is designed to maintain the action and build up to more exciting climaxes. It's just better.

I really don't understand why they're messing around with qualifying. They want to mix the grid up, but doesn't that simply defeat the purpose of qualifying? They might as well save everyone the trouble and just arbitrarily set the grid however they want. Of course they want quali to be an exciting show too, but these forced changes just make it seem a bit artificial.

it's not that they just want to mix up the grid (bernie wants to, but he's alone in this), they want the front runners to sometimes mess up and have to start from the back
in the previous format, they set a safe banker lap, and afterwards went in attack mode

now they don't have time for that, attack mode from the go, and if you make a mistake on your hotlap, you start from the back!
and i support this! but i'm not sure the elimination is the way to go...

will buxton proposed a system like in indy, where each drivers gets to drive 1 timed lap, and that's the one! you fuck up, you start from the back!

Last edited:
will buxton proposed a system like in indy, where each drivers gets to drive 1 timed lap, and that's the one! you fuck up, you start from the back!

It's been done already. 2003-2005 (with the exception of the 2-lap aggregate in the first 4 races of 2005). Complaints about that brought about the original 3-part knockout system in 2006.

It's been done already. 2003-2005 (with the exception of the 2-lap aggregate in the first 4 races of 2005). Complaints about that brought about the original 3-part knockout system in 2006.
True, but that does not mean it wasn't a good system. I'd prefer 2 laps per driver and an aggregate to avoid crazy grids when it rains, but this system does provide us with benefits

- no 'traffic' excused
- a solid hour of onboards
- suspense at the end
- everyone treated the same

F1 "too afraid" to commit to full canopy - di Grassi

Audi WEC driver Lucas di Grassi believes Formula 1 is not going far enough with its halo concept and should instead opt for a full canopy solution.

So far, Ferrari and Red Bull have come up with two different concepts for the cockpit-protection system that is set to be introduced in F1 next year.

But former F1 driver di Grassi reckons grand prix racing should follow the World Endurance Championship in using fully enclosed cockpits.

"For me, the optimum solution is a [full] canopy," di Grassi told Motorsport.com. "That's why LMP cars have full canopies.

"It was open before, but then the competition got more difficult and there was more of a need to improve efficiency. It's better for everything, even aerodynamics.

"In my opinion, F1 cars already look old, and the same [as each other]. They keep trying halfway concepts: for example, with the nose ? when they came up with these weird concepts and you end up with a Caterham looking like a vacuum cleaner.

"It's like the halfway solution they will do with the canopy ? they will go, and then they see it's crap. They are too afraid to commit [fully] and make a complete mess, so they commit halfway and see how it goes.

"I saw so much of this in F1, like with the bigger front wing in 2009 that you can adjust, that was a crappy solution."

The Brazilian feels the full canopy solution would be only beneficial for F1, both from a safety and a performance point of view.

"For me what is important is [for the rule makers] to point out the direction, then leave the engineers to do their work," he said. "Safety is sometimes a different matter, like with crash tests, but with [a canopy] there is no downside.

"It's better for safety, for aerodynamics. I'm in favour of a modernisation of F1. I really like what McLaren proposed and Red Bull in 2010 [the X1]. That for me is the next step the sport should take."

Interview by Jamie Klein

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-too-afraid-to-commit-to-full-canopy-di-grassi-682593/

While I was initially gutted the BBC lost F1 coverage I have to say Channel 4 have put together a great team and are doing an excellent job. Also they are running full races with no commercial breaks which I also agree with.

One odd odd thing I just noticed. Although Susie Wolff is Scottish you can tell she has been living with a German speaker as some of her vowel sounds are more German than Scots. :lol:

In the U.S., NBCSN has begun broadcasting some sort of signal that shuts down home recording devices.
Is there any way around this? I have a reasonably complete library of F1 back into the late 1980s.

SL

In the U.S., NBCSN has begun broadcasting some sort of signal that shuts down home recording devices.
Is there any way around this? I have a reasonably complete library of F1 back into the late 1980s.

SL

I've been recording all the practice sessions, quali, and races on my DVR from NBCSN without any issue.

I google pictures'd Formula 1 Halo and I almost puked.
God oh god don't let this be a thing.

Looking at this video was hilarious though. That little head shake at the end and I can imagine Kimi saying "this fucking thing is useless"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of10Pes03ks

Last edited:

SL

Are you using a PC-based solution?

My Xfinity cable box and TiVo have had no issues.

Esteban is missing from the list as well so I'm assuming it must mean that the chart can only display 21 drivers at a time for whatever reason.

I think you need to finish a race to get on there?
IIRC Gutierrez had a double dnf aswell?

Formula 1 drivers should "shut up" and not interfere with the rule-making because it is not their job, says 1997 world champion Jacques Villeneuve.

In a letter recently released through the Grand Prix Drivers' Association, the drivers collectively asked for F1's governance structure to change.

The drivers also criticised the elimination qualifying format that was abandoned in favour of a return to the 2006-15 system after a fraught political week.

But Villeneuve said drivers should be focusing on their job and must compete with whatever rules are determined by F1's bosses.

"The way the drivers have been complaining is terrible for F1," he told Autosport. "It's not their problem.

"They should just shut up. It's not their problem how good or bad the show is on TV.

"They should just get on with their job.

"In a classroom, how many of your classmates would be able to make educated decisions? Not many.

"Take a group of 20 drivers. Take maybe two of them and the rest should just shut up.

"So why would you want to give them power?"

Seems more than a little disingenuous to me. The drivers absolutely have a vested interest in the sport. No doubt many of them were massive fans of the sport and know as well as anyone what spectators love about it. Not that it's rocket science. Seems to me we've been doing this whole racing automobiles thing for quite a few years now. It's not that complicated Jacques. You don't need a dozen PhD's in astrophysics and psychohistory to understand what works and what doesn't.

Ahhh it's been a while since JV said anything retarded. Welcome back JV!

In other news, Alonso is still unsure for China, so maybe Vandoorne will have another shot?

Just came here to post that. Alonso will be assessed by doctors on Thursday and subbed again by Vandoorne if required.

But....Alonso has been OKd by the docs so no Stoffel this weekend... I haz a sad

so hamilton got a grid penalty for a new gearbox...

the top 10 will have qualified on the softest tires, which apparently will only last 4-5 laps during the race
if hamilton qualifies 10th, he has free choice, he will drop to 15th, but in 5 laps he must be able to overtake 5 cars to end up on the tail of the top 10
by the time those go pit, he has track position, and tires that are only 4-5 laps older...

That sucks...
I hope Rosberg gets swamped at the start!!