2016 Formula 1 Season Thread

SkyNews said:
Carey To Take F1 Helm As ?6.1bn Liberty Takeover Nears Finish Line

One of the media industry's top executives will be named as the new boss of Formula One (F1) motor racing early this week as a prelude to the sport's first change of ownership for more than a decade.

Sky News understands that Chase Carey, a long-standing lieutenant of Rupert Murdoch, is likely to be named as chairman of F1's parent company as soon as Monday.

Peter Brabeck-Letmathe, who has chaired F1 for the last two years, is to step down from the role but is expected to remain on the board as a non-executive director.

Mr Carey's appointment will come just hours before CVC Capital Partners, which has owned a controlling stake in F1 since 2005, signs a deal to hand over ownership of the sport in a deal worth more than $8bn (?6.1bn).

http://news.sky.com/story/carey-to-...n-liberty-takeover-nears-finish-line-10565003

Bernie says he'll still be around and choose whichever position he feels like assuming. Somehow doubt that... Im not at all familiar with this guy's idea of what he wants to do with F1 but i hope it's something better than the current "change the rules every couple years" bullcrap.

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016...cisive-for-the-future-of-formula-1-ownership/

Mackenzie is also keen for the teams to become shareholders in the F1 business, which will tie them into the business long term and give them a share of the upside and a motive to work for the mutual benefit of all to grow F1. All teams will be offered the chance to take a stake and even smaller teams like Sauber, now they are owned by Longbow Finance, might be able to avail themselves of the opportunity.

why hasn't any team bought any shares before???

You'd think Ferrari of all teams should just go ahead and buy a small stake in Formula 1. I guess it's harder for teams to threaten to quit when they own part of the pie. I still think the bigger teams should all buy into F1 Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes, Renault, Williams and especially Red Bull since I think they need to send a message that they're serious about the sport and not just the whim of a billionaire who's found a new hobby.

and if they only allow teams with a few years of existance to buy shares, it would make the issue of the heritage payments go away.
everyone is payed according to their finishing position, and be returned a amount from their shares, new teams just don't have any of those...

I dunno if its such a great idea, conflicts of interest and all that... for the teams it should be a sport, not a business. Say the teams have a stake in how well F1 sells, they might start doing silly stuff to make it more "marketable" like fake overtakes or ... who knows. Marketers can have really bad ideas. Better to keep those apart and leave the sport a true competition.

I don't really buy into that, sport or not the teams are businesses and have a financial interest in Formula 1 and it's earnings because presumably in some cases they get a lot of their budget from Formula 1. Having a stake in Formula 1 means they'll have more leeway to push not only themselves but the sport. Making it so they're drivers can tweet photos from the races for example or putting highlights up on the teams youtube pages. Selling the sport isn't just about changing the rules and regulations. People aren't turning away from F1 because of the noise and the DRS; they're turning away because it's getting more expensive to watch.

I don't think any football teams have stakes in their respective leagues, and they're not losing viewers hands over fists.

What you need is a product which sales, a competition people wanna watch, to get that, you need actual competition and excitement, something F1 has been lacking for the last almost 10 years from constant gigantic rule changes which always favor one lucky team and make the seasons more boring than ever, in a time and age when people have more access to entertainment than even before.
F1 has had a wrong approach to many things for years. They have not embraced new media, such as streaming or youtube, instead going the "copyright claim" and censorship route, which works SO WELL.

Besides if teams were given the chance to buy shares, then richer teams would buy more, which is just the same as how the broadcasting money is divided already, meaning shit.

I don't think any football teams have stakes in their respective leagues, and they're not losing viewers hands over fists.

the football teams aren't payed out by their leagues, can't compare those

What you need is a product which sales, a competition people wanna watch, to get that, you need actual competition and excitement, something F1 has been lacking for the last almost 10 years from constant gigantic rule changes which always favor one lucky team and make the seasons more boring than ever in a time and age when people have more access to entertainment than even before.

NOTHING in the whole competitive world gives as much drama and excitement as F1 (the bold and the beautifull have nothing on it!), if all you care about is the race on sunday, you're just not in the correct place, you should go watch nascar! the race is just a way to keep the drama going...and without the drama, i wouldn't care for F1

F1 has had a wrong approach to many things for years. They have not embraced new media, such as streaming or youtube, instead going the "copyright claim" and censorship route, which works SO WELL.

correct, and the teams are the first ones to be hurt by this, so give them a vote so it can change for the better

i really doesn't matter what they do, does it? you'll complain no matter what direction they take...

but all i've read so far, is good news, i'm excited for the change of ownership, i think for the fans, only good things can come out of it

Last edited:
the football teams aren't payed out by their leagues, can't compare those

Ummm yeah they are. And also the other leagues they participate in, such as the Europa or Champions league.

Their success in such leagues also brings in sponsors which want to plaster their logos on their equipment.

This is exactly as F1.

NOTHING in the whole competitive world gives as much drama and excitement as F1 (the bold and the beautifull have nothing on it!), if all you care about is the race on sunday, you're just not in the correct place, you should go watch nascar! the race is just a way to keep the drama going...and without the drama, i wouldn't care for F1

I think I'm in the correct place. If you want drama, you might wanna check out soap operas.

correct, and the teams are the first ones to be hurt by this, so give them a vote so it can change for the better

i really doesn't matter what they do, does it? you'll complain no matter what direction they take...

but all i've read so far, is good news, i'm excited for the change of ownership, i think for the fans, only good things can come out of it

The discussion was about if teams should be an official part of the sport's management. I argue that no, because of conflict of interests. Management is the one who decides the rules and teams should NOT be anywhere near the rulemaking, unless someone comes up with something that teams agree unanimously is dangerous or detrimental. There has been enough times where teams were suspected to have strings too connected to the people who call the shots (and most of the accusations probably fall on Ferrari, so me standing up to this should tell you something).

I hope you're right and it's a good thing. I call bullshit when I see it, that is all. So far, having a racing series where the racing is only exciting when the two Mercs take each other out supports my theories more than yours.

Last edited:
Lewis Hamilton has underlined his sense of superiority at Mercedes by claiming that he would still feel like a moral victor even if his team-mate, Nico Rosberg, should win a first world title here in Abu Dhabi on Sunday. ?Maybe I ought to keep this private, but I feel a certain way in my heart about how I have performed,? he said. ?If he is labelled the world champion, it doesn?t necessarily mean that is the way it is labelled in my heart.?

source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-...es-nico-rosberg-says-moral-champion-whatever/

Oh well then, if you say so...

Nico had a strong start to the season, with Lewis having a strong finish. But we all know luck plays a big role and Nico has been far more lucky when it comes to reliability.

I want Nico to snag the title, but there is no denying the brilliant job Lewis has done this year. He has nothing to be ashamed of.

Lewis is the better driver, and without the reliablity issues, would've been champion
that being said, rosberg was on top of his game every weekend, didn't drop the ball once (Monaco maybe the exception), so deserves the title

Reliability can be random, but always happening to the same guy, maybe it was something resulting of his driving style?
Nico has always been well known for being as much an engineer as he was a driver. Perhaps he understood the car better, and how to treat it kindly?

Remember that one race where the cars developed a weird issue, both of them, and cos of radio silence from pits is enforced, they couldn't tell them what to do about it. Nico had it fixed in a second and Lewis was complaining to the pit wall.

Lewis is the better driver, and without the reliablity issues, would've been champion
that being said, rosberg was on top of his game every weekend, didn't drop the ball once (Monaco maybe the exception), so deserves the title

"without the reliability issues, ___ would've been ___ champion"

1) Massa, 2008
2) Raikkonen, 2005
3) Raikkonen, 2003

Reliability is a part of Formula 1. Hamilton has been on the lucky side two times, and now he's on the receiving end. Does it make Rosberg less of a champions? Only for commenters on the Mercedes F1 Facebook page.

Reliability can be random, but always happening to the same guy, maybe it was something resulting of his driving style?
Nico has always been well known for being as much an engineer as he was a driver. Perhaps he understood the car better, and how to treat it kindly?

Remember that one race where the cars developed a weird issue, both of them, and cos of radio silence from pits is enforced, they couldn't tell them what to do about it. Nico had it fixed in a second and Lewis was complaining to the pit wall.

Lewis was driving and the problem appeared suddenly, he had no idea how to fix it
rosberg changed a switch and the problem was there, so he just turned the switch back

if it were the other way around, nico wouldn't have had an idea either...
and i don't think that a turbo exploding has anything to do with driving style

Lewis Hamilton facing uncertain future after Abu Dhabi antics ? could he be sacked?

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/formula-...-he-be-sacked_sto5964428/story.shtml#uk-tw-po

Probably nothing comes out of it. But still good click bait.

It would be funny to see Mercedes do something. Someone suggested Mercedes park Lewis and run one of their development drivers for a couple races at the start of next season, but I don't see anything happening.

It remains to be seen if Mercedes will continue their dominance. If they fall back into the pack next season, they're going to need Lewis. If they're still dominate, then they really could get anyone else and still win both championships.

Mercedes actually has no reason to keep Hamilton. Rosberg has proven that he too can bring the championship home, so why should they pay two rockstar salaries? Hamilton needed Mercedes more than Mercedes needed Hamilton.