2016 Monaco Grand Prix

Shame that RBR gave away that win. Very disappointed for Ricciardo. I usually leave these races on my DVR until the next race, but I just deleted it right after it was over.

Yep, exactly what I did with this one too.

rosberg was on 47 lap old ultra softs
hulkenberg on 47 lap old softs

the moment the rain fell, there was so little carcass left on rossberg his tires, all grip went out of the window immediately
hulkenberg had harder tires, more canvas left, more body to retain the heat and enough grip left to overtake him out of the last corner

first time i jumped up for a hulkenberg overtake :p

i also jumped when riccardio arrived at his pits and there were no tires...
...and then i had to go get the vaccuumcleaner because i dropped the ashtray in the process :banging:

According to the live timing Rosberg's tires had done 51 laps and they were used Ultra Softs so that makes sense to me.

What a way to give away a win. Total fail by Red Bull. What could be their only chance to get a win all year.

As to Ferrari, cos I must comment, mediocre, can't say much else.

In a different forum there's a recurrent feature called 'donkey of the race'. Frankly for this one you may just as well give it to everyone :

- Charlie Whiting for leaving the SC out forever in a series that is supposed to feature the best drivers in the world
- Red Bull for calling their driver into the pits and then not being ready. That's stuff you expect to see from 1996 Ferrari
- Merc for ordering the bloody championship leader to let pass his only realistic opponent.
- Rosberg for not having done what Lewis would have done - ignoring the team order.
- Merc again, for ballsing up Rosberg's car by running too much brake cooling. You got it right on the other one, so what's your excuse?
-Seb Vettel for being utterly lacklustre all weekend and accepting the blame for what was a blantant strategic mistake by the team
- Kimi. Seriously, I hate Justin Bieber too, but was it necessary to bin your car to avoid encountering him on the podium?
- The stewards. Apparently it is now legal to cut the chicane to defend your lead.
- Lewis. Seriously, your team mate gives up his position for you, your team gave you a top car and the first thing you do is feeding champagne to Justin Bieber?
- McLaren: Announcing how you will be in reach of a podium and then only Alonso's brilliance gets you any points to begin with.
- Verstappen. One crash can happen, two crashes is a bit embarassing. Three crashes makes you look like Maldonado.
- Kvyat. Seriously, no comment.
- Sauber. I bet Monisha wishes she had signed four drivers for two seats again and the other two would have driven their cars at the time.

Reactions: TC
- The stewards. Apparently it is now legal to cut the chicane to defend your lead.

This, I had forgotten about. What the bloody hell was that?? It's for the lead, don't give me the 3 warning bullshit. If it had been the other way around, where the one who cut the chicane was the one overtaking, they'd make him return the place (as it should be). So in this era of "encouraging the spectacle and overtaking" they don't put the same kinda criteria if you cut to defend?

I find all these stories trying to praise Lewis for his driving and his team for their "aggressive strategy" annoying. I have nothing against Lewis, I've rooted for him plenty, but lets get real. Monaco is extremely difficult to pass normally, but when the track is soaked with only the racing line being dry and everyone on slicks, passing was impossible. Lewis couldn't pass his teammate even when they were both on rain tires and he could actually go off line, for example.

The one and only reason he won is because RBR gifted it to him with a bizarre error. Sure, they put Lewis in a position to exploit it, but that was pure dumb luck. The silver arrows are the best cars on the grid*, they've shown that they can control the pace of any race, it's usually the other teams who have to put an ungodly amount of effort into getting close.

*it remains the be seen if the upgraded RB12 is as good as Ricciardo made it look, but I sure hope so. The Canadian GP is where Ricciardo won his first F1 race, so hopefully both him and Verstappen can show just how good the new upgraded car really is.