2016 USA Presidential Elections

GRtak

Forum Addict
While they are really just starting, there are some interesting things sort of happening. A few people have discussed "Exploring the Option" to run, but I am not sure anyone has actually declared they are running. So it is the best time to start keeping track of the lunacy that is sure to follow.

One of those that had talked of the option exploring is Mitt Romney. He has appeared to got lost and has decided not to run despite feeling he could win. I am not sure if this had anything to do with it or not. But we seem to have a new election term, Square Foot Shaming. I wonder if that will work on some other candidates?

I am not sure if this had anything to do with it or not.
If any democrat thinks that the size of Mitt's house matters, they clearly haven't looked at how wealthy Liz Warren, Hil-dog, and BHO are.

That said, I'm happy to hear that Mitt is not running in 2016. Hopefully Jeb will come to the same conclusion. My currently front-runner from the GOP shouldn't surprise anyone:

stand-with-rand.jpg

You seemed to have missed part of my post.

I wonder if that will work on some other candidates?

Not at all; my comment wasn't directed at you. It just always amuses me when people rip apart Romney for being rich when Kerry lives in the most prestigious part of Boston; Warren in a multi-million dollar home; Hillary charges $250k+ per speech; etc. "We hate the rich that you vote for; we do, however, vote for the other wealthy candidates."

Mitt is doing the presidential election hokey-pokey.
I don't know man, sounds like he's really done. Had his shot in '12 and the big GOP donors might prefer to back someone like Jeb this time around. Romney knows it.

If any democrat thinks that the size of Mitt's house matters, they clearly haven't looked at how wealthy Liz Warren, Hil-dog, and BHO are.
It doesn't really matter. But since you brought it up, Mitt's worth several times what Warren and Clinton are. He's worth like ... thirty-five times what Obama is. He's in a whole other ballpark. But, yeah, that's not what matters. What matters is that he's a fucking prick whose sole interest is seeing the extremely wealthy like himself get even richer at the expense of the rest of us.

Warren sure as hell doesn't share those politics. Clinton and Obama are neoliberals, certainly a lot nicer to Wall Street than I'd like, but they're hardly full on 'fuck the poor' like most GOP candidates.

If the house size thing is supposed to illustrate anything I guess it would just be an easy attempt at implying how out of touch some pols are. But the difference lies in their politics. Romney has a big house and he's a douche, so he must be out of touch with most Americans. Warren has a big house and actually seems to give a damn, advancing policy that would actually help large numbers of Americans, so she seems to get it.

"We hate the rich that you vote for; we do, however, vote for the other wealthy candidates."
:lmao: Yep it's all about money, don't think to hard about policy. That could never possibly factor into anyone's support of a candidate. Oh, and soundbites! Money and soundbites.

Last edited:
And one more thing. That is just one of Romney's houses. I think he has four.

And here we go. The first to declare the run for pres is Ted Cruz.

Ted Cruz Announces He's Running For President In 2016

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) announced just after midnight on Monday he'll mount a bid for president of the United States.

Cruz shared the news on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/tedcruz

I'm running for President and I hope to earn your support!

Cruz will make a formal announcement Monday at Liberty University in Virginia. Cruz is the first high profile candidate to officially declare that he is running for president and will forego an exploratory committee.

Cruz, a favorite among conservatives and a frequent agitator of the GOP leadership in Congress, had been expected to declare his presidential bid for more than a year. He scoped out office space for a campaign headquarters in Houston, Texas, and terminated his Canadian citizenship in preparation.

The first-term senator has made multiple trips to the early presidential primary states of Iowa and New Hampshire and traveled across the country to campaign for conservative candidates in the midterm elections. Someone also created a super PAC, the Stand for Principles PAC, with the goal of helping Cruz win the nomination.

Democrats have wasted no time in attacking Cruz. After reports emerged on Sunday that Cruz would announce, California Gov. Jerry Brown (D-Calif.) said that the Texas senator was "absolutely unfit" to run for office because of his denial of climate change.

Cruz is known for his leadership in the effort to shut down the government in 2013, as Republicans attempted to defund the Affordable Care Act. The former champion college debater made a symbolic 21-hour speech against the law on the Senate floor.

The senator has worked to cultivate a hawkish profile on national security and foreign policy issues, both to appeal to top Republican donors and to provide a contrast with one of his primary rivals, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.). He has also curried the favor of social conservatives by highlighting his opposition to marriage equality and abortion, and attempted to elevate his own candidacy by arguing that former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton would win the general election in 2016 if his party nominated a more moderate candidate in the vein of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) or former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

HuffPost Pollster has Cruz in the middle of the pack of those seeking the Republican presidential nomination.

Cruz previously served as Texas' solicitor general and with the Federal Trade Commission and the Department of Justice. He also was a policy adviser for former President George W. Bush's campaign in 2000. When he was elected to the U.S. Senate in 2012, he became Texas' first Cuban-American or Latino senator.

Yes, I saw that page earlier. I was under the impression that a president had to be actually born in the US (a case like McCain's being the rare exception).

That said he seems typically GOP to me: decent on the economy and foreign policy maybe but stone age on social issues.

Didn't Mitt Romney's father also run for President despite not being born in the United States?

I wonder if the people that went after Obama for not being born in American and saying he was not eligible (Despite being both born in America and to an American mother) will so passionately go after Ted Cruz.

Didn't Mitt Romney's father also run for President despite not being born in the United States?

George Romney was born in Mexico, but both parents were American citizens.

I wonder if the people that went after Obama for not being born in American and saying he was not eligible (Despite being both born in America and to an American mother) will so passionately go after Ted Cruz.

Doubtful, since they're of opposite political persuasions. At least some Democrats will almost certainly make it an issue, however.

The pertinent portion of the US Constitution (Article II, Section 1, Paragraph 5): "No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."

Today Texas's Junior Sen. Ted Cruz is to announce his run for the office of President. Mr. Cruz is a Princeton grad and Harvard Law educated law professor just like our current President. He lost the popular vote in the first primary against his Republican opponent forcing a runoff to run for his current office. His wife works for Goldman Sachs

Ya no hes a populist who speaks for the people and stuff

A DANGEROUS MAN TO AMERICA AND TO THE REPUBLICAN PARTY

Last edited:
He's very anti-science (not just on Climate change, look at this asshat whenever he talks to someone from NASA) and his religious views bother me a lot.

So far it is shaping up for another election I vote libertarian despite not being one.

^ I dont have a problem with his religious views I have a problem that they frame his politics and makes the Republican party look like its full of religious fundamentalist

The Republican party is full of religious fundamentalists.

Many of the mainstream candidates, yea, but not all, and certainly not the entire voting base. Most republicans don't care about social issues as much as they are portrayed to.

Which would be perfectly fine, if they didn't see fit to try and cram those religious beliefs down everyone else's throats. While screeching about religious liberty.

As for Ted Cruz running ... I think it will be comedy gold. He's a nutcase and he's hired a complete scumbag (Jeff Roe) for a organizational manager. That guy has zero problem with going after other Republicans with anything he can dig up. Should make the primaries even more entertaining.

Many of the mainstream candidates, yea, but not all, and certainly not the entire voting base. Most republicans don't care about social issues as much as they are portrayed to.
:lmao: