2016 USA Presidential Elections

If the people who broke into the car were local thugs? Nothing to worry about
If it seems some special agents from a foreign government did it? Maybe you should be worried they're trying to get into other cars, parked in safer places...
The idea that there are foreign agents trying to obtain US government documents/information is nothing new. That's why we expect our officials who have access to said information to handle it properly, legally, intelligently, and responsibly. When they do not, then we do have something to be worried about.

Last edited:
Every country is spying on all the other countries. Is this news to you? Every country also sets up defensive parameters to try and prevent said spying. Then a rogue Secretary of State decides to ignore those defensive parameters and the spies get through... Hmm... See the problem yet?

I am aware of that, working in IT, if a company goes to the lengths it goes with its security, I can imagine countries.
I just said someone should we worried, not exactly who. Not to mention Russia has been behaving erratically in the last few years, being the only "civilized" country right now occupying by force part of another civilized country, not caring if one of its jets gets blown up by the Turks, increasing the probings on western airspaces with strategic bombers...

I wasn't arguing that she isn't an idiot nor that she isn't responsible for the lapse of security. I was simply saying that it's a security issue regardless of how sensitive or insensitive the information contained within is. Saying it was only personal information and then saying that it's a security issue is fine. Those are not exclusive or contradictory states.

There is still a difference between a personal security issue and a national security issue. We have laws to keep those separated for a reason.

Besides, we don't know if her personal email servers were even hacked, let alone by whom.

Last edited:
There is still a difference between a personal security issue and a national security issue. We have laws to keep those separated for a reason.

Besides, we don't know if her personal email servers were even hacked, let alone by whom.

Yes. But the targeting of a presidential candidate for hacking makes it a national security issue and not a personal one. If you see what I mean.

Yes. But the targeting of a presidential candidate for hacking makes it a national security issue and not a personal one. If you see what I mean.

This. The hacking of the personal email of a very high ranking US government official is not the disease, it's the symptom.

We all know hackers exist and public figures are targeted most. That is why we have those laws to maintain a clear difference between personal information and official information, to avoid exactly these sorts of threats. Otherwise we wouldn't bother making any distinction. A matter of national security actually means something.

I'm xuri on this one. To give you an example, the email may contain some military strategy or launch codes, in which case it is clearly a national security breach. But an email may also contain everyday banter like "Putin is such an asshole megalomaniac." In itself there is nothing revealing our secrets, but if the Russians got a hold of it, it becomes a national security threat as he would be pissed.

So yes, I think it is possible for the emails to contain non-classified information, and still be considered as a security issue.

That's an amusing example, considering they publicly compared Putin to Saddam Hussein during the DNC, iirc.

I'm xuri on this one. To give you an example, the email may contain some military strategy or launch codes, in which case it is clearly a national security breach. But an email may also contain everyday banter like "Putin is such an asshole megalomaniac." In itself there is nothing revealing our secrets, but if the Russians got a hold of it, it becomes a national security threat as he would be pissed.

So yes, I think it is possible for the emails to contain non-classified information, and still be considered as a security issue.

Or the location of someone, her schedule for example, which could be used in an assassination attempt. They're unwilling to accept that it's valid to be both personal and a national security issue because it's Clinton. TC keeps mentioning the distinction in law without acknowledging that she's a presidential candidate. That alone makes it a national security issue regardless of the content. Saying "we know public figures are targeted most" doesn't actually change anything. It just sounds like it does. Clinton isn't Jennifer Lawrence.

Or the location of someone, her schedule for example, which could be used in an assassination attempt. They're unwilling to accept that it's valid to be both personal and a national security issue because it's Clinton. TC keeps mentioning the distinction in law without acknowledging that she's a presidential candidate. That alone makes it a national security issue regardless of the content. Saying "we know public figures are targeted most" doesn't actually change anything. It just sounds like it does. Clinton isn't Jennifer Lawrence.

I acknowledge that Hillary Clinton is running for president. I'm pretty sure I've acknowledged that fact a couple dozen times in this thread alone, in fact.

But I'm not a big fan of this idea that the meaning of words is fluid (you know, like gender). A matter of national security is something that endangers the nation. The Russians knowing how much yoga Hillary is doing doesn't strike me as something to be concerned about. How many people do you think are trying to hack Donald Trump as you read this post? Several thousand? That's why we don't allow classified information on unsecured servers, so a security breach WON'T be a national security crisis. We do these things for a reason. If someone hacks Trump's twitter account, it shouldn't be a matter of national security, unless the jackass was storing classified information on there.

I'm personally not interested in conspiracy theories about assassins or whatever. We're talking about stuff that happened years ago. The idea that Hillary put classified info on her servers is one thing, that she would put information that would compromise her own personal safety is something else. She is definitely too smart for that.

I acknowledge that Hillary Clinton is running for president. I'm pretty sure I've acknowledged that fact a couple dozen times in this thread alone, in fact.

But I'm not a big fan of this idea that the meaning of words is fluid (you know, like gender). A matter of national security is something that endangers the nation. The Russians knowing how much yoga Hillary is doing doesn't strike me as something to be concerned about. How many people do you think are trying to hack Donald Trump as you read this post? Several thousand? That's why we don't allow classified information on unsecured servers, so a security breach WON'T be a national security crisis. We do these things for a reason. If someone hacks Trump's twitter account, it shouldn't be a matter of national security, unless the jackass was storing classified information on there.

I'm personally not interested in conspiracy theories about assassins or whatever. We're talking about stuff that happened years ago. The idea that Hillary put classified info on her servers is one thing, that she would put information that would compromise her own personal safety is something else. She is definitely too smart for that.

I'm not interested in conspiracy theories either. It was just an example of personal information that could be used nefariously. I think you already knew that though. :)

This is obviously going nowhere so we're going to have to agree to disagree. Though, as for people trying to hack Trump, doesn't really seem necessary. He'll just blurt out confidential information during press briefings. :p

It's weird to me that we're in a position whereby I actually think both candidates are terrible and dangerous choices.

Someone paid my area of PA a visit, then proceeded to fan the embers of a decades long class spat between the west shore (where he made a campaign stop, suburban, upscale area...) and the east shore (home of our capital city which is pretty diverse) via Twitter:

Less than 24 hours after Donald Trump spoke to an adoring central Pennsylvania crowd, he insulted Harrisburg while campaigning at his next stop.

Trump said Harrisburg "looked like a war zone" from his plane, according to reporters covering his speech in Virginia.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/08/trump_insults_harrisburg_a_day.html

Is our capital city perfect? No. Like any medium to large city, there's bad areas with crime. There's parts of the city affected by severe poverty. The city school system is terrible. The city has been suffering from years of mismanagement. Slowly, sometimes glacially but slowly, things are trying to improve.

But there's plenty of good things about Harrisburg. The riverfront is beautiful, you see plenty of people on the water in summer, jogging down Front Street, etc. Hosted events on said Riverfront like Kipona, Pride, and Jazz Fest draw decent crowds from both sides of the river. Midtown is flourishing with new restaurants and small businesses all the time - younger (some could say Hipsterish) people are living in that area and the community college has a satellite campus there that's top notch.

Whitaker Center along with the PA State Museum are great places to visit.

The Farm Show Complex is always having something going on, aside from its flagship attraction every January.

City Island is a great place to hang out with friends and family, maybe even see a Senators game.

The suburbanite base that Trump courted yesterday will lap this up. There's always been a "Harrisburg is trash/I never go across the river/I lock my car doors as I go across the bridge" stereotype about the city from a vocal segment of west shore residents for as long as I can remember.

If I had to choose between living in Harrisburg or York City, I'd choose a place in a nice part of Harrisburg like Midtown. It's more interesting than York which just seems blah.

I don't see a war zone when I drive through Harrisburg (because let's face it, I don't fly), I see a struggling, imperfect, city that could use some positive news for a change instead of being constantly shit upon by the very people who live across the river yet refuse to go there (until the Farm Show/Auto Show/Gun Show comes around, ironically) along with some blowhard with a toupee who DOESN'T EVEN LIVE IN THE MID-STATE.

The fuck outta here Donald Trump, and don't let the door hit you in the ass.

Last edited:
I don't see this as surprising at this point.

You know what? Hillary is not a good option, but if the US (which I've never even visited) elects Trump, I dunno, let's start building Vaults, Fallout style, cos the whole world is at risk.

You know what? Hillary is not a good option, but if the US (which I've never even visited) elects Trump, I dunno, let's start building Vaults, Fallout style, cos the whole world is at risk.

I dunno, the world could do with a president witn a firmer stance against muslims than B. Hussein Obama has shown.
I wouldn't mind if Trump nukes ISIS, I'd applaud it.

Last edited:
I dunno, the world could do with a president witn a firmer stance against muslims than B. Hussein Obama has shown.

How does one 'nukes' ISIS?

I can't even....in just a few lines you managed to make 3 idiotic statements. That has to be some sort of record.

Let Trump nuke Norway, I'm sure ISIS is there too