2017 Belgian Grand Prix

mpicco

Forum Addict
Car(s)
R19
21077813_1795225150507101_8649051382611828061_n.jpg

Different vibe for the art in Ferrari's facebook this time.

I don't get super-involved in the "noise issue", but NBCSN did a retrospective of the cars over 20 years (1987-2016) at Spa and my god, the difference in sound between just 2013 and 2016 was literally night and day (in favor of the 2013 model) to say nothing of the screamers of the early 2000's.

The official Formula 1 Youtube channel did something similar here:

When you get to this era's noise... :barf:

Yes, that is exactly the one MSNBC ran.

Why can't the current 1.6 liters turbos sounds as good as the 1.5 liter Honda turbo in Nakajima's 99T? :mad:

Interesting the audio difference between the 1990 and 1993 in-cars, even though both are Renault V10s - the 1990 is screaming while the 1993 sounds like she's at idle. :)

2004, though... Just cuts right through you.

Why can't the current 1.6 liters turbos sounds as good as the 1.5 liter Honda turbo in Nakajima's 99T? :mad:

Because of the mgu-h, the thing they're trying to get rid of for next gen engines...

Lmao @ Honda!

At some stage during Q3, Alonso yelled had no power, and that was because he had taken pouhon flat out (...pause to let that sink in...), so his computer didn't know the corner had already been taken and energy deployment should begin.

So his computer calculates where he is on track by the number of times he lifted the throttle.
That's a really lousy system if you ask me! What would the system do when he gets brake checked like Kimi was by Max last year? Think the chicane is in the middle of the straight??

Last edited:
Dont they have GPS tracking like every thousand of a second, telling them exactly where the car is and at what speed?

They generate terabytes of data over the course of a race, surely some of this info is available?

That is literally the worst system I could think of. Anything up to and including asking the driver to manually tell the computer where he is on the track seems better.

They should just allow teams to use GPS to tell where they are in the track (currently banned for whatever reason). It's not expensive technology and everyone would use it however they want.

I had no idea GPS was banned for motor management...

You could manipulate the engine in such a way that I imagine you could make it like Forza's auto braking (but reducing engine power or auto downshift) and smoke everybody.

10 second stop-go penalty for not lifting for double yellows? That's a bit much...

Seems like Ferrari's Ultra soft strategy didn't pay off for them. Vettel wasn't able to pass Hamilton on the restart and was never close enough after that, I guess Kimi was able to make a bit of a recovery from that stop go though annoyingly he's got Ricciardo in front of him on the podium.

These 2017 cars are not really made for good racing aren't they?

Seems to be painfully hard to follow cars in front.

Anyway Perez and Ocon were back at it doing totally stupid things on track. They really are lucky that there seems to be no team to really challenge them for 4th place in WCC.

Title fight continues tight and it could be even after Monza as Mercedes should have upper hand there.

That is literally the worst system I could think of. Anything up to and including asking the driver to manually tell the computer where he is on the track seems better.

Such a device exists - the pedal on the right :lol:

Lmao @ Honda!

At some stage during Q3, Alonso yelled had no power, and that was because he had taken pouhon flat out (...pause to let that sink in...), so his computer didn't know the corner had already been taken and energy deployment should begin.

So his computer calculates where he is on track by the number of times he lifted the throttle.
That's a really lousy system if you ask me! What would the system do when he gets brake checked like Kimi was by Max last year? Think the chicane is in the middle of the straight??

I'm sure it's a bit more complicated than that, they have steering angle sensors, rate gyros, accelerometers, vehicle speed, etc. A system based solely on accelerator inputs wouldn't give full observability of the vehicle's position dynamics.

I'm sure it's a bit more complicated than that, they have steering angle sensors, rate gyros, accelerometers, vehicle speed, etc. A system based solely on accelerator inputs wouldn't give full observability of the vehicle's position dynamics.

Whatever it was, it failed, didn't deploy the charge and might have cost Alonso a position in Q3.
After seeing the race it might have not made that much of a difference... the guy can't catch a break.

Solid race by Hamilton, Vettel couldn't do anything to challenge his pace, even with those new ultra softs. He had one move in them in my opinion and he couldn't make it work on the restart.

Thought Perez was a complete dick once again, I'm liking the guy less and less every race.

I agree about Perez, he's turning into a little asshole. Probably being a bit frustrated. He used to be the future, but was kept waiting, and is now being leapfrogged from all sides by the youngsters.
But it might actually be in FI their benefit!

Finishing 4th with 50 points or 100 points tis doesn't make a difference, the pricemoney is the same

But their fee for next year is calculated based on the amount of points they scored this, so the fewer they have, the lower their fee for next year

What kind of fucked up rule is that? So they want to have 4th place by the smallest margin possible?

if you care about your finances, yes

this is about last year:
Reigning World Champions Mercedes' entry fee for the 2016 season is almost $5 million, as a result of its success in the 2015 campaign.
Prior to the start of 2013, an amended system mandated every team to pay a flat entry fee of $516,128 ? indexed by the US CPI [Consumer Price Index] ? in addition to a sliding scale depending on its success in the previous Formula 1 season.
The Constructors' Champions must pay $6,194 for every point scored, with the other teams having to hand over $5,161 per point.
That means Mercedes, which accrued 703 points as it retained both Drivers' and Constructors' trophies in 2015, had to pay $4,870,510 by November 30.

i don't know what the amounts are that are payed out, but financially, it might be better to finish 5th with 1 point behind, than to finish 4th with 100 points in front