Spied: 2018 Mercedes-Benz CLS

Pedrocas

9gag reposting troll
Car(s)
Citroen ZX 1.4i Tonic
Mercedes-Benz CLS 2018 ? first ride in pre-production car

The four-door coupe gets S-Class tech and bolder styling as part of a major revamp

The Mercedes-Benz CLS four-door coupe sits between the E-Class and the S-Class in the firm?s model line-up ? and that placement is set to be clearer than ever with the third-generation model, due to go on sale next year.
The newest version of the four-door coupe, which will be unveiled at the Los Angeles motor show in November, is built on the same MRA rear-wheel- drive platform as the E-Class, but its engines, driver assistance systems and other interior options ? such as the twin-screen ?Widescreen Cockpit? system - are taken from the S-Class.
That, according to Mercedes engineers, makes the third generation CLS an ?explicit connection? between the two cars ? while an exterior design overhaul is intended to further develop the machine?s unique, sporty character.
To get an early glimpse into how that has been achieved, Autocar was given passenger rides in both petrol and diesel versions of the first production trial cars on the North Yorkshire moors recently. While largely finished in terms of manufacturing, there is still fine-tuning to be done on set-up and systems programming.
Both cars were sporting camouflage elements, with certain interior details concealed, but it?s clear the CLS has been heavily revamped both outside and in. Mercedes promise that it will like ?like no other Mercedes?, with a design that will highlight the sporting feel of the car.
Mercedes faces an interesting challenge developing the new CLS. The car has two distinct customer bases: those after a dynamic but luxurious four-door coup? and those (particularly in China) who want a luxury car with the style of a dynamic four-door coup?.
cls-0536.jpg

Technical details of the new CLS
The standard CLS range will be headed by inline six-cylinder diesel and petrol engines. The diesel will be available in 281bhp and 335bhp. The petrol unit features a mild hybrid EQ Boost 48V electrical motor and produces 362bhp.
Inline four-cylinder diesel and mild hybrid petrol engines will also be available, producing 241bhp and 295bhp respectively. An AMG version, featuring a 429bhp electrified petrol engine, will follow.
The 48V electric motor on the petrol engine works as an automated starter, turning the combustion unit off when not needed to maximise efficiency. In dynamic drive modes, the unit?s 20bhp output is used to boost acceleration.
cls-0532.jpg

The CLS will come with passive steel suspension as standard. Active steel and air suspension, featuring air body control, are available as options. While shared with the E-Class, all three systems have been tuned to the CLS, with the focus on ensuring an engaging, sporty drive. Wheels are 18in as standard, with 19in and 20in as options.
New CLS sports revamped interior Notably, the CLS gets three rear seats for the first time, the middle one suitable for a child. The control panel shares elements with the E-Class but features distinctive ?turbine? design air vents with colour-changing LEDs. From the passenger seat (like the driver?s seat, more supportive than that in the E-Class, reflecting the car?s more dynamic nature), it?s clear how Mercedes is appealing to those buying a CLS for style. The addition of a third pew in the back reflects demand, although only the young will likely be able to make use of it (and then in limited comfort).
cls-0528.jpg

The optional Widescreen Cockpit system from the S-Class gives the interior a high-tech feel, and design flourishes such as colour-changing LEDs on the new-look air vents certainly make a statement. Add in features such as the slightly surreal ?energising comfort? control, which links together functions such as the aircon, audio, massage seats and lighting to create a relaxing ambience, and the CLS can be specified with plenty of showy style.
An AMG styling pack will be available. The CLS is due on sale next year.
What?s the CLS like to ride in
Our ride took place on the bumpy, twisting roads of the North Yorkshire moors, and from the passenger seat the new CLS coped with them well. Our first run came in the 362bhp electrified petrol unit, fitted with 20in wheels and air suspension. The latter system is taken from the E-Class but has been tuned for the CLS. When the car tackles a big bump in the road, it is quickly settled by thesuspension.
The different drive modes were apparent too: in Eco mode, the 48V electric motor helped keep the car quiet ? seamlessly turning off the petrol engine when not needed ? but switch to Sport and Sport+ and the engine note picks up while, at the same time, the car?s ride stiffens notably.
Our ride suggests that the CLS remains a strong cruiser with dynamic ability, although we?ll have to wait to get behind the wheel to find out for sure.
The new CLS is due to go on sale next year.

91590710.jpg

0f5fc810.jpg

f38a8a10.jpg

0908ee10.jpg

07a72510.jpg

50916010.jpg

b5d06510.jpg

Ruined. Every face lift has been worse with this one being the ugliest. The CLS used to be my favorite saloon from Mercedes...

They are done. Tesla model S is crushing the competition in that categorie.

Tesla is crushing everyone in the UGLY category yes. Everything else? No. I'd still rather have an ugly Benz than anything from Elon Musk. Hell I'd drive a Yugo over a Tesla. :mrgreen:

I think it may be within a chance to at least equal the second-gen.

The problem with the CLS is that they got it perfect the first time. All the variables were aligned to make one of the best-looking four-doors in the market and (at the time), a unique proposition. Trouble is, you can't leave a design stagnant on the market. Irrespective of how good it looks; trends change, things like the Audi A7 come along and present the same idea on a "crisper" way. You're no longer the only game in town.

So you're forced to try and keep the design good looking while at the same time trying to move it with the new corporate design language featured on the rest of your lineup *and* one-up the competition. When you do that, you end up with the second-gen CLS. I seem to recall saying back then that there was no way for it to be better looking than the original. I was right. The only way to top it was by doing something unexpected that matches the original for innovation and desirability (that'll be the CLS shooting brake).

tl;dr: The Mercedes CLS is the automotive equivalent of M. Night Shyamalan's career.

Last edited:
Ruined. Every face lift has been worse with this one being the ugliest. The CLS used to be my favorite saloon from Mercedes...

Yep. The first one was the best...and it's been downhill since.

- - - Updated - - -

Except that isn't. The E class sells more in the US, and more than double in Canada. Since the E-Class is *actually* the car it competes against when it comes to size, room.

Yep. The first one was the best...and it's been downhill since.

The first one is absolutely gorgeous. One of my favorite saloon designs ever. Had the pleasure of driving a CLS55 AMG once and was in heaven. The torque from that supercharged engine was sublime.

Who is this for? For S owners or For E owners? Chassis from E and tech from S. Just curvier version of which? I don't get it.
Previous ones were clearer to me.

Who is this for? For S owners or For E owners? Chassis from E and tech from S. Just curvier version of which? I don't get it.
Previous ones were clearer to me.

S owners who want to drive, not be driven by a chauffer.

Saw one the other day.. didn't really have the road presence of the second gen which I liked a lot. Looked more like a W205 or at best a W213 sedan with something off.. looks less.. muscular.. oh well, didn't get a proper look and will have to reserve final judgement until I get to see one parked and got time.

Saw it on Facebook so, I?ll reiterate what I said there. It looks like a Sedan Mercedes Mustang. That red enforces my decision to call it such.