Unveiled: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado

TC

aka TomCat
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"675","width":"1200","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/u4cvDdG.jpg"}[/IMG2][IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"675","width":"1200","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/kEkzSbI.jpg"}[/IMG2][IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"675","width":"1200","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/lvZCHDV.jpg"}[/IMG2]

The engine lineup will include a 3.0-liter inline six turbodiesel–taking direct aim at the Ram 1500 and 2019 F-150 that both have 3.0-liter diesels as well. Mark Reuss, head of global product development, would not provide mileage figures for the GM engine but said it will be better than the competition, which suggests it could get 30 mpg on the highway (or more). The Silverado will also be offered with the 5.3-liter and 6.2-liter V-8s with industry-first technology that can disable up to seven cylinders when not needed, which would improve fuel efficiency.

Direct Link

Last edited:
Funny how they blatantly insulted Ford for using lighter weight materials and then promptly turned around and did the same damn thing to drop ~450lbs. Good job GM!

On on another note it's good to see their engineers employ the VW method of copy/paste for most of it. The whole thing looks disgusting just like the previous one but even still that rear end just doesn't look right. And it won't provide MPG figures because they likely haven't figured out how to actually beat its competition yet. :lol: I'd rather have a RAM or F150 thanks.

Last edited:
JCE;n3544162 said:
Funny how they blatantly insulted Ford for using lighter weight materials and then promptly turned around and did the same damn thing to drop ~450lbs. Good job GM!

To be fair, GM's use of aluminum is far far less extensive than Ford's.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"2280","width":"2048","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/Znfzv8V.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
Yup, but now everyone can help those stupid GM ads backfire on them.

The stamped CHEVROLET on the tailgate is a great design touch. I've missed that look since they shied away from it a few generations ago.

No mention on transmission. Are they married to the 5/6 Speed? Had one in a suburban last fall and it was atrocious coupled to the 5.3.

93Flareside;n3544277 said:
No mention on transmission. Are they married to the 5/6 Speed? Had one in a suburban last fall and it was atrocious coupled to the 5.3.

They said the 6.2L and the new straight six turbo diesel will have the new 10 speed, but no other details about other models. So they'll probably use the "old" 8 speed on the poverty spec models or something.

Last edited:
I really like that new tailgate on the GMC. Now to pull the $45+k out of my ass...

I like the tailgate idea, but it seems overly complicated with all the electronics. It's also funny that they are casting themselves as the underdog to the F-150. It wasn't that long ago that GM was making fun of Ford for using aluminum; GM was actually taking pride in being behind the curve. Now they are using aluminum to try to catch up and actually innovating.

We will see how it goes, I predict a lot of reliability issues with this tailgate system as they try to figure it out.

Last edited:
So Chevrolet has decided to offer a turbocharged 4 cylinder in the Silverado and surprisingly, it doesn't seem half bad. It's entirely new and produces 310 horsepower at 5,600 and 348 pound-feet of torque from 1,500 RPM which stays flat through to 4,000 RPM.

Every automaker is going great lengths to improve fuel economy, particularly in trucks. Ram has gone with ultra-mild hybrid technology, and Ford has gone with turbocharged V6 engines, a new diesel, and a 10-speed transmission. Until now, it appeared Chevy and GMC were going to focus on improving naturally aspirated V8s and adding a diesel. But it turns out Chevy had one other engine up its sleeve: a turbocharged four-cylinder.

Displacing just 2.7 liters, it is the smallest engine available on the 2019 Silverado — 300 cc less than the turbodiesel engine that's also coming. But don't let the size fool you. This new four-cylinder has specs that outperform the effectively carried-over 4.3-liter naturally aspirated V6. At 310 horsepower and 348 pound-feet of torque, the inline-four has a 25 horse and 43 pound-foot advantage over the V6. And while exact fuel economy numbers have yet to be released, Chevy says the turbo engine will be more efficient than the V6. On top of all that, the four-cylinder also boasts a peak torque plateau between 1,500 and 4,000 rpm, while peak power comes at 5,600 rpm.

Chevy put a lot of work and some fascinating technology into this engine to get these numbers. First off, the company claims that this engine is completely new; not a modified version of an existing turbocharged GM four-cylinder. It was built from the ground up as a truck engine. Like some of its larger brethren, it also features cylinder deactivation. It can shut off two of its cylinders, made possible by a nifty variable cam lift feature.

The camshafts themselves can slide in order to select different cam profiles, and all of the cylinders can run in a high-lift setting for maximum power, or they can shift to a low-lift setting for improved fuel economy under reduced load. There's also a third setting that will shut off valves to two cylinders while keeping two others in low-lift mode for maximum fuel economy at cruising speeds.

In addition to the trick camshafts, Chevy did a bit of fiddling with the turbo and the cooling system. Chevy is now among many companies employing exhaust manifolds integrated into the head, which allows Chevy to provide additional cooling to the exhaust close to the turbo. This also helps warm up the engine more quickly at start-up.

Getting back to the turbocharger, it features an evolution of the twin-scroll design, but instead of the exhaust pulses coming to the impeller side-by-side on one end of the impeller, they come in on opposite sides of the impeller wheel, as shown in the diagram above. So instead of one set of pulses hitting the outside of the impeller, and another hitting the inside, both sets are catching the outside of the impeller. Bolted to the turbo is an electric wastegate, which can open at cruising speeds and let exhaust flow more freely, improving cruising fuel economy.

Now that we've made it through all this tech talk, the big question is, is the four-cylinder any good? And we can give you an answer because we were given a chance to drive a prototype back-to-back with a current V6 model for comparison. And in general, it's a big improvement. The low-down torque is very noticeable, helping it take off with more authority than the old V6 model. The turbo spools up very quickly, and there's hardly any lag when hitting the gas. Odds are any delay you might feel is coming from the transmission, which is an eight-speed automatic for reference. That automatic transmission has some neat features, too, but we'll dig deeper into that in the eight-cylinder prototype drive.

Not everything is perfect with the four-cylinder, though. Our big complaint is that, well, it sounds like a four-cylinder, and it certainly doesn't come close to the hearty burble of the V8s. In fact, when really worked, it starts to get a bit coarse and buzzy. Thankfully, it does deliver good pulling power even as you're working it, so it doesn't feel strained. And it always seems to pull harder and rev more readily than the lazy old V6.

If you want to pick up a four-cylinder for yourself, it's only offered on LT and RST trims as the standard engine, taking the place of the V6. Those trims can also be had with the optional 5.3-liter V8 with Chevy's new cylinder deactivation system that can shut off as many as seven cylinders, or the new 3.0-liter turbodiesel. The LT Trail Boss is only available with the 5.3-liter engine. The entry-level Work Truck and Classic trims still come standard with the 4.3-liter V6, and their optional engine is the 5.3-liter V8 that can only shut off four cylinders. Classic Trail Boss is only available with that V8. The top-end LTZ and High Country come with the fancy 5.3-liter V8 standard with options in the form of the 6.2-liter V8 and turbodiesel. Pricing and fuel economy of all these trucks will be announced later this year, closer to when the trucks go on sale.

Direct Link

Here is Chevrolet's newest masterpiece design, for the 2020 HD Silverado.

Jes8iEq.jpg

7jVHLS8.jpg

2wd8lRX.jpg

...yikes.

i think the mirrors aren't big enough :bangin:

that's a semi truck.

I sometimes feel sorry for auto designers. lol So I guess GM realized the reception wasn't that great, so they quickly released photos of the High Country trim of the new HD Silverado, and it looks much much better imo.

8ezSY55.jpg

That front end is still hideous, only just a bit less so.

Bets on how fast they redesign that front end?

Both of those will be parked between the Aztec and the Ssangyong Actyon in the Museum of Bad Car Design. When I first saw the 2020 Silverado, I had to check multiple sources to make sure I wasn't looking at some sick photoshop job. Someone actually saw that rolling piece of Brutalist government housing block and signed off on production?

I haven't seen something this ugly/disgusting since Goatse...