Spied: 2019 Focus

Paul_The_Aussie

Car(s)
Ford Focus XR5T
Thought I would start a thread.

2019-ford-focus-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100636073_m.jpg

2019-ford-focus-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100610536_m.jpg

A prototype for the next-generation Ford Focus has been spotted again, and this time it's wearing its final skin. This suggests the reveal is coming up soon.

The car represents the fourth generation of the Focus nameplate and is expected on sale next fall, as a 2019 model. And this time around Ford will source the popular compact from a plant in China.

We also have a shot of the interior which looks to be very different to the design of the current Focus. Dominating the cabin is the infotainment system's display screen located at the top of the dashboard's center stack.

From modifications seen on earlier test mules, we know the redesigned Focus is slightly longer and wider than the current model. This should lead to more space in the cabin.

Apart from this there isn?t a whole lot of info on the next Focus. We expect the formula to be the same, with the car once again coming in hatchback, sedan and wagon body styles.

A variety of powertrains should also be on offer once more, including performance-oriented options for successors to the current model's ST and RS hotties. The entry-level option should be an inline-3 with fuel-saving cylinder deactivation. This engine is also featured in the redesigned Fiesta.

It's not clear if Ford will continue to offer an electric option. That's because the automaker is expected to launch a family of electrified cars, possibly under the Model E name. Furthermore, Ford in January confirmed plans to add a compact electric SUV with a 300-mile range to its lineup by 2020.

Key rivals for the Focus include the Chevrolet Cruze, Honda Civic, Mazda 3, Subaru Impreza, Toyota Corolla and Volkswagen Golf.

Stay tuned for updates as development continues.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1028512_2019-ford-focus-spy-shots

Came in here expecting something significant and actually interesting. Instead I was greeted with utter trash. :(

Exterior = boring
Interior = fiddly

Those air vents and their positioning are absolutely disgusting. I really liked the 2011+ interior so I feel this is a step backward. I find it ridiculous that every automaker wants to stuff a bloody tablet on the dash. Everything else is an afterthought. And its longer and wider? How was it too small previously...it was massive. Also, it'll be made (sourced) in China? DO NOT WANT. And I thought my 2013 Focus was a piece of trash...this thing will be just disgusting and overpriced. I used to be a big fan of the Focus (hell I owned four!) but I just don't think its the best in its class anymore. FoMoCo is going the wrong direction and I may have to sell my stock and move on. I just cannot take these decisions they've been making for about the last 6~7 years.

Last edited:
New from Ford: Interior from the "Jam an iPad on the dash any which way you can" school of design. It looks like the hood over it is just camouflage, but I absolutely hate the look of these screens that appear to be parked in a dock on the dashboard.

Reactions: JCE
Blind_Io;n3541723 said:
New from Ford: Interior from the "Jam an iPad on the dash any which way you can" school of design. It looks like the hood over it is just camouflage, but I absolutely hate the look of these screens that appear to be parked in a dock on the dashboard.

Exactly. I also didn't even really notice the bonnet until now. It looks a bit...ghastly from the side.

I like the exterior. It reminds me of my Mazda 3 hatch, which i think is one of the best looking cars currently in production.

JCE;n3541717 said:
Came in here expecting something significant and actually interesting. Instead I was greeted with utter trash. :(

Exterior = boring
Interior = fiddly

Those air vents and their positioning are absolutely disgusting. I really liked the 2011+ interior so I feel this is a step backward. I find it ridiculous that every automaker wants to stuff a bloody tablet on the dash. Everything else is an afterthought. And its longer and wider? How was it too small previously...it was massive. Also, it'll be made (sourced) in China? DO NOT WANT. And I thought my 2013 Focus was a piece of trash...this thing will be just disgusting and overpriced. I used to be a big fan of the Focus (hell I owned four!) but I just don't think its the best in its class anymore. FoMoCo is going the wrong direction and I may have to sell my stock and move on. I just cannot take these decisions they've been making for about the last 6~7 years.

To be fair, the Focus has a "tight back seat" problem. Compacts like the Jetta, Corolla, Civic and Elantra have near Mid-Size car levels of interior room, especially in the rear seat. The Focus is comparatively tight back there.

For young families/couples who haven't migrated to a compact CUV, a tight rear seat is a major downer for both car seat and hauling around friends reasons.

The interior is nowhere near production ready just by the looks of the plastics on the vents alone - I doubt they'll look that cheap once the production model is ready.

Personally, I'm fine with the new "tablet" screens, even if it gives up traditional styling cues. Placing the screen in your line of sight is that much more convenient, especially if you're in something that doesn't support integrating turn by turn from CarPlay or Google Maps into the instrument cluster's MFD.

I will say that the way Honda (and MB, BMW, etc) did it on the last gen Accord was also acceptable to me:

2017_honda_accord_dashboard.jpg

No tablet screen looks and still high up on the dash. Of course, this wasn't a touchscreen + the tall "double bubble" look wasn't for everyone.

As long as it's thin and that growth behind it is merely camo, i'm fine with it.

I think we all know that the air vents are early prototypes, probably 3D printed from the look of them. I agree with you on the Accord looking good, I would much rather have the integrated design than the "tablet propped on the dash" look. I just don't understand the need to put the tablet-thingy in the line of sight unless it is a self-driving car. I can do almost everything I need in my vehicle without taking my eyes off the road, specifically because I have physical buttons and knobs, and I know where they are. Kiki's Taurus is very nice inside and has a touch-screen. I find myself waiting for the lights or asking the passenger to make adjustments because I have to actually look away from the road to make sure I'm on the right screen and touching the right square centimeter of the display. Moving to touch-screens and putting them in the line of sight is making interiors both ugly and distracting.

Last edited:
Blind_Io;n3541975 said:
I think we all know that the air vents are early prototypes, probably 3D printed from the look of them. I agree with you on the Accord looking good, I would much rather have the integrated design than the "tablet propped on the dash" look. I just don't understand the need to put the tablet-thingy in the line of sight unless it is a self-driving car. I can do almost everything I need in my vehicle without taking my eyes off the road, specifically because I have physical buttons and knobs, and I know where they are. Kiki's Taurus is very nice inside and has a touch-screen. I find myself waiting for the lights or asking the passenger to make adjustments because I have to actually look away from the road to make sure I'm on the right screen and touching the right square centimeter of the display. Moving to touch-screens and putting them in the line of sight is making interiors both ugly and distracting.

Because navigation and backup cam

Blind_Io;n3541975 said:
. I just don't understand the need to put the tablet-thingy in the line of sight unless it is a self-driving car.

For what it's worth, no matter where I set my seat, the "tablet" screen on my Mazda 3 still resides BELOW the seam where the bottom of the windshield meets the dash. it doesn't stick up in your view like a ram air hood scoop, and doesn't even interrupt the entire view of the hood.

The advantage in small cars is, to keep a screen visually that size to the driver, they would need to make it larger and push it back further into the dash (larger screens cost more, and touch screens aren't as convenient when pushed back...but for what it's worth I don't remember the last time I toughed my own screen). The alternative is to leave the screen where is it, but enclose it by bulking up the dash which, a) costs more, and b) makes the cabin feel even more cramped, especially in smaller cars.

Last edited:
It's not about it being in the way, I just hate the interior look and feel. I'm 6'4" (193 cm), the rear view mirror gets in my way more than anything else, I have to duck to look under it.

prizrak;n3542011 said:
That's all fine and good but where is the RS prototype?

I don't think the US is getting one. You know, due to the low sales of who the fuck thinks a $40,000+ hatchback would sell.