Unveiled: 2019 Ford Ranger (for murica)

TC

aka TomCat
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"675","width":"1200","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/SXAchP3.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"675","width":"1200","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/fsLvKgZ.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"675","width":"1200","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/pFzQpRM.jpg"}[/IMG2]

The Detroit auto show will be packed with new pickups this year including the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado and the 2019 Ram 1500. Not to be upstaged, Ford is now officially back in the midsize truck game with the 2019 Ranger pickup. It will exclusively house a new version of the company’s 2.3-liter EcoBoost four, though we don’t know the output yet. For reference, the same engine makes 350 hp and 350 lb-ft in the Focus RS; we’d bet it won’t make that much here, but hey, think of the tuning potential!

Two and four-wheel drive versions of the returning Ranger will be available—a truck that, by the way, has been continuously sold outside of the U.S. since 1998—all with Ford’s new ten-speed automatic transmission developed with Chevy. Power goes through Dana Trac-Lok differentials on both two- and four-wheel drive models. An electronic locking rear differential is optional, standard on FX2 and FX4 models.

Ranger will arrive early next year in three trims: XL, XLT and Lariat. Chrome and sport appearance packages as well as FX off-road, SuperCab (rear half-doors) and SuperCrew (full four-door) configurations will all be available.

Like the F-150 Raptor, the Ranger gets Ford’s Terrain Management System featuring normal, grass, gravel and snow; mud and ruts; and sand modes. FX4 models add the new Trail Control feature that takes over the throttle and brakes, leaving the driver to steer through rugged terrain. It works from 1 to 20 mph.

Ford didn't reveal towing and payload numbers, but said it's targeting "best in class."

The cabin and dashboard will look nothing like the Ranger you drove in high school. Buyers will see the Sync 3 infotainment system, LCD gauge cluster screens, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, optional navigation, AC power outlets and USB outlets.

This pickup will also be safer than your old truck with standard emergency braking across the lineup and standard (on XLT and above) lane keeping, lane departure warning, reverse sensing system and blind spot information. The top Lariat model adds pre-collision assist, pedestrian detection and adaptive cruise control.

The new Ford Ranger, ready to do battle with the Chevy Colorado, GMC Canyon, Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier, goes on sale in the first quarter of 2019.

Direct Link

Personally, I'm a little underwhelmed. I was expecting a very different truck from the Ranger already sold elsewhere in the world. I'm not sure why they even bothered putting camo on their test cars since the differences are so insignificant.

The single powertrain could be good, but the lack of a manual transmission is a let down. But I suppose Ford doesn't think enough midsize truck buyers would insist on a manual (cough cough) to warrant the expense of engineering one in.

I think the lack of a manual is down to needing the 10-speed gearbox to get the performance and economy they need out of the 2.3L. I'd be interested to see the MPG estimates and power curve, because I was really expecting a V6 and diesel option.

So you now get our Ranger, with a different Bumper and tailgate. And the 2.3 Ecoboost instead of the 2.2 I4 or 3.2 I5 diesel wie get. And you may not ever shift manually, unlike we can. Hmkay. Whatever.

It does make me nervous about the new Bronco. I was hoping for something unique and interesting, like the Toyota FJ Cruiser, with a small diesel option and a manual gearbox/tcase. But now... it probably will end up looking just like the Ford Everest.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"630","width":"1250","src":"https:\/\/www.ford.com.au\/content\/dam\/Ford\/website-assets\/ap\/au\/nameplate\/everest\/gallery\/exterior\/overlays\/Ford_Everest-GalleryOverlay-ForestHills_RFQ-std.jpg"}[/IMG2]

But with different bumpers. Maybe. :yawn:

With the 2.3L Ecoboost motor, they say it will be a new version. I wonder if that means they'll be fixing this issue:

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with the Everest tbh, although I can see why you would be disappointed if you expected a rock crawler a la wrangler.

gaasc;n3544152 said:
There is nothing wrong with the Everest tbh, although I can see why you would be disappointed if you expected a rock crawler a la wrangler.

I don't mind the looks of it, just like I don't mind the looks of this Ranger we'll be getting. And I'm sure they will be decently capable. To be honest, I would love to see Ford bring the Everest to the NA market, but as the next Ford Explorer. The current Explorer is barely capable of exploring mall parking lots.

But Bronco's have always been 2 door, short wheel base SUV's. Very rugged truck based vehicles. I would hope that Ford understands that distinction, but at this point I have very little hope.

I dig it. I don’t want it but, I understand it.

Blind_Io;n3544142 said:
I think the lack of a manual is down to needing the 10-speed gearbox to get the performance and economy they need out of the 2.3L. I'd be interested to see the MPG estimates and power curve, because I was really expecting a V6 and diesel option.

+1

Utterly worthless to me without at least an NA V6. I mean the 2.7L TT and or 3.7L NA would be perfect here. Too bad too because I really like the overall design inside and out. So disappointed another seemingly decent vehicle that has a stupid 4cyl turbo instead of a proper larger naturally aspirated engine at the least. I'm legitimately considering selling my Ford stock and moving on completely from them. Just like a bandaid, rip it right off.

Chrysler should bring back the Dakota and stuff proper engines in it to appeal to the people who want a proper light duty truck that isn't neutered with a 4cyl turbo. 3.6L, 5.7L, and of course either 6.x V8 all mated with the awesome ZF 8spd trans. I'd take the hit on negative equity and immediately trade the Jeep in for one without hesitation.

Last edited:
There is the inevitable Ranger Raptor to consider. Ford gave their F150 Raptor a unique drivetrain, so maybe they'll do the same here and stuff something cool under the hood.

But of course the other mid-size halo trucks, Colorado ZR2 and Tacoma TRD-Pro, didn't add any extra power, and we know how much these companies like to copy one another.

I find myself mildly disappointed. Not in the style, I don't mind the international Ranger at all and didn't think it needed much changing for the US (unlike the international Colorado, where the US version is an improvement). But only one engine? I've been waiting to see what Ford did since eventually I'll need to replace my '03 Ranger and the Colorado piqued my interest.

Well, I can wait and see how these develop. My '03 will handily last until this and the Colorado are refreshed.

I am enjoying the discussion and speculation in this thread.

I really like the Ranger but I won't consider one until it is offered with a diesel.

TC;n3544150 said:

This is the result of a manufacturing issue and hardly indicative of anything fundamentally wrong with the 2.3 itself.

Cellos88GT;n3544322 said:
This is the result of a manufacturing issue and hardly indicative of anything fundamentally wrong with the 2.3 itself.
Do you have any additional information? In the video they pointed out a couple problems. A poor head gasket design, which Ford has since redesigned, and the fundamental weaknesses with open deck engine blocks in high performance applications.

TC;n3544325 said:
Do you have any additional information? In the video they pointed out a couple problems. A poor head gasket design, which Ford has since redesigned, and the fundamental weaknesses with open deck engine blocks in high performance applications.

It turned out that the factory in Spain where the motor is built, had received HGs designed for the Mustang, see this article for more details:

Well, Ford unveiled the Ranger Raptor for the international markets. I think it's a safe bet the US version will look pretty much identical, except that we might not get the 2.0L turbodiesel that powers this one. Which makes 210 horsepower (157 kilowatts) and a generous 369 pound-feet (500 Newton-meters) of torque.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/pic.armedcats.net\/t\/to\/tomcat\/2018\/02\/07\/r001.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/pic.armedcats.net\/t\/to\/tomcat\/2018\/02\/07\/r002.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/pic.armedcats.net\/t\/to\/tomcat\/2018\/02\/07\/r003.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/pic.armedcats.net\/t\/to\/tomcat\/2018\/02\/07\/r004.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Direct Link

After a pretty long teaser campaign, Ford is finally lifting the veil on the first-ever Ranger Raptor. Truth be told, we will have to wait a little bit more for the full release since the attached images and info come courtesy of Motoring after the Australian website briefly had the article live. Combining the regular model’s go-anywhere capabilities with the added firepower you’d come to expect from a Raptor, the go-faster pickup truck set to be built in Thailand builds upon the F-150 Raptor and comes in a dual cab flavor.

Billed as being a “factory-built performance truck” catering the off-road enthusiast crowd, the Ranger Raptor is motivated by an entirely new four-cylinder, 2.0-liter diesel engine fitted with a pair of turbos. It churns 210 horsepower (157 kilowatts) and a generous 369 pound-feet (500 Newton-meters) of torque, and although performance numbers have not been released, it should be properly quick on just about any type of road out there.

Compared to the regular Aussie-spec Ranger and its five-cylinder 3.2-liter Duratorq engine, the new unit produces 14 hp (10 kW) and 22 lb-ft (30 Nm) more, which might not sound like much, but let’s keep in mind this is after all a diesel engine. Output will be channeled to both axles through the already familiar 10-speed automatic transmission developed by the Blue Oval in collaboration with General Motors.

The Ranger Raptor has been developed mainly in Australia with help from Ford’s U.S. Raptor team and has been engineered with a long-travel, tailor-made Fox suspension and a coilover Watts Link rear setup. It sits on exclusive 17-inch wheels wrapped around in BF Goodrich All-Terrain tires and backed by chunky 332-mm front and rear brake rotors. Additional underbody protection has been installed, along with a Baja Mode inherited from the F-150 Raptor, and an increased ground clearance, now at 28.3 centimeters (11.1 inches).

Last edited:
:drool:

I hope we do get a diesel here.

Last edited: