2020 F1 season thread

I think it just goes to show just how tailor made this year Mercedes is to Hamilton's driving style, which Russel might feel comfortable enough with to squeeze that performance out while Bottas is around feeling like he's wearing someone else's shoes. Same goes for the Ferrari and Leclerc, and the Red Bull and Verstappen.
Just think back to a half a dozen years ago, you didn't have these massive gaps between team mates. Heck, Hamilton is 7 and not 8 times champion cos they made compromises to fit both team mates back then. Vettel vs Webber battles were great. Now it's one car in the top positions, the other one fighting for 10th.

good point...but i think that's an effect of the limits on development.
10 years ago they could develop 2 cars side by side, one for each driver
now they just develop it for their number 1, and the other just has to adapt

apparently, there was one tire-dude whose headset didn't work
suddenly everyone jumped up to do the pit stop, and he had no idea what was happening

and in the confusion, he grabbed a tyre of valtteri instead of russel
Ok that makes sense. But then they pitted Valtteri right after, put mediums on, then put the hards that came off back on... why?
Wouldn't it be easier to just get another set? Now he was a target for anyone on any sort of decent tyre?

Also, shame about Russell's puncture, I was thinking he could still win this, even after all that...

because they had 3 tyres with VB on them, and one with GR on them
if they had sent out bottas out with wrong tires as well they would've gotten another penalty

and i don't know how many more tyres they had available.
this was already an unscheduled pitstop, to fit medium that had already been used during practise

i don't think they had many more laying around, but even if they had, grabbing those, getting them out of the blankets etc would've added another 20-30s to the pitstop, and his brakes were already on fire, they needed him running to cool the car

Ok, I get it now.
But all of this comes from an unscheduled stop that they didn't really need? Because they thought they could get away with a sneaky quick stop under a VSC? So doing nothing would have resulted in a much better overall result?

correct

hamilton knew very well why he didn't pit in the last lap when perez's car caught fire last week...

Hamilton still not 100% confirmed for the last weekend.
Honestly I would respect him a lot if he chose to sat the next one out and give Russel another go.

Well he decided to race and honestly a nice way to close the year out without a Hamilton win. Still the usual groaning and moaning about the tyres and how they're terrible, nothing new.

Midfield battle was interesting enough. GG to McLaren for being the best of F2 (Red Bull comfortably won F1.5 - Honda retiring from the game just as they started winning - sad).

Bring on 2022!

Seems like it's about time for a 2021 thread!

Well it’s only 2 weeks till the end of the year so it’s time for a new one I think.

Because of the obvious we’ve had a season end so late in the year that it’s just 3 or so months until the next one,which is nice.

I hope to see Zandvoort next year, because I like the track, even if you can’t really pass there

Well it’s only 2 weeks till the end of the year so it’s time for a new one I think.

Because of the obvious we’ve had a season end so late in the year that it’s just 3 or so months until the next one,which is nice.

I hope to see Zandvoort next year, because I like the track, even if you can’t really pass there
00:00 1 January, you're it. :D

I can already hear mpicco's eyes roll all the way up to here, but hamilton is to receive a knighthood in 2021!

I can already hear mpicco's eyes roll all the way up to here, but hamilton is to receive a knighthood in 2021!

Fantastic news, well deserved. Congratulations Sir Lewis