2020 F1 season thread

F2 racer Sean Gelael had a 45g curb impact, and broke his spine as a result :shock:

Luckily he's expected to make a full recovery though

In B4 race just to predict it'll be a borefest and that Mercedes will walk away with this one.
Because Barcelona, it's quite hard to pass here, it'll be a snoozefest

Now go prove me wrong, tyres. Fall apart like in England. Or last exceptionally long, making some people switch strategies mid-race.

Shockingly, it was a borefest. I spent most of the race editing photos of the Milky Way I took the night prior.

Shockingly, it was a borefest. I spent most of the race editing photos of the Milky Way I took the night prior.

Nah, it was entertaining, if a bit sad seeing how much Vettel is ignored by Ferrari.

I disagree. There was no suspense aside from the first laps, it was painfully obvious we weren't going to have another race like last week... Lewis just drove super slow to conserve tyres from the start...

Even in the midfield there wasn't a lot happening....

I disagree. There was no suspense aside from the first laps, it was painfully obvious we weren't going to have another race like last week... Lewis just drove super slow to conserve tyres from the start...

Even in the midfield there wasn't a lot happening....

Well yeah, none of that was interesting. I was talking with a few others about this and as @DaHitch said, this is their test and tune track. So there's not a lot of passing that will go on. Either make this track a testing only place or have the race somewhere else.

True, but there's more. The nature of the track, and how cars are designed nowadays.
See below

williams has been sold...
https://www.racefans.net/2020/08/21/williams-name-to-remain-in-f1-as-team-is-sold-to-us-company-dorilton/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+f1fanatic+(RaceFans+-+Independent+Motorsport+Coverage)

edit: and the ban on the quali modes will be active from the italian gp onwards
https://www.racefans.net/2020/08/21/technical-directive-bans-quali-modes-from-italian-gp/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+f1fanatic+(RaceFans+-+Independent+Motorsport+Coverage)

i read the reason the FIA is clamping down on these, is that engines are frozen, unless the manufacturer can show it's a change that will solely increase reliability. but the more reliability the FIA let add to the engines, the longer they're able to run in the higher powermodes, which makes it actually an upgrade
sound reasoning if you ask me...but i'm sure the teams will find a way to regain the power while staying in the same mode!

Last edited:
Racing Point really trying to discredit anything the FIA says lately, eh? I'm not sure I'd be saying that and possibly pissing off the people who are currently ruling on whether or not I've been running with legal brake ducts all season.

“TDs aren’t really the law,” said Racing Point CEO Otmar Szafnauer, “so I don’t know where that’s going.”

However Haas team principal Guenther Steiner is certain the directive is legally binding.

“For me that’s a law,” he said in response to a question from RaceFans. “We got caught out by a technical directive a few races ago [in Hungary] when we pitted on the formation lap.

This seems major.

Ok so Vettel to Racing Point so it seems... only spot left is Mclaren? Which may not be a terrible thing?

Ok so Vettel to Racing Point so it seems... only spot left is Mclaren? Which may not be a terrible thing?

Haas is wide open for next year, and I think I heard they’re looking to sign people to a two-year deal.

Haas is wide open for next year, and I think I heard they’re looking to sign people to a two-year deal.

Would Haas be a down or upgrade from Ferrari? I don't know much about the team other than them being newer to the scene. They at least don't have braking issues. :|

Would Haas be a down or upgrade from Ferrari? I don't know much about the team other than them being newer to the scene. They at least don't have braking issues. :|
They’re a seat in F1, so like, I guess it’s better than NOT having a drive for next year.

according to the depths of the internet:
gasly and albon to switch seats again
kvyat's seat depends on how well Tsunoda does, if he finishes in the top 5 of this years F2 championshop, kvyat is out
Perez to alfa remeo in place of raikkonen who will retire
hulkenberg to haas in place of grosjean who will retire

hulkenberg and magnussen in the same team...that'll give fireworks!

What spot is free at McLaren?

Yeah, no spots available there, with Ricciardo joinining and Norris staying, forming the new Meme-Team (tm).

Yeah, no spots available there, with Ricciardo joinining and Norris staying, forming the new Meme-Team (tm).
Yeah I don't know why I wrote that. Must be thinking of Haas, where both seats are up for grabs so it seems.
also, Gasly and Albon to switch again? If I were Gasly I'd tell them to stuff it and find another drive elsewhere... He no longer needs them...