2020 McLaren GT

TC

aka TomCat

Say hello to the most comfortable and spacious McLaren ever.

McLaren promises its new GT will change the game in the grand tourer segment with its unique combination of a lightweight construction, powerful new twin-turbo V8 engine, and unprecedented interior space never seen before in a product of the Woking-based company. In addition to these characteristics, the new model from the British automaker offers a “true supercar” performance.

Sharing its DNA with the Speedtail, the new McLaren GT becomes the fourth new model part of the brand’s 2025 business plan announced last year. The car is aimed at a completely new audience for McLaren, one searching for supercar performance at the highest levels of comfort for long-distance journeys. The new GT, the marque says, is lighter, faster, and more responsive than any other model in this niche segment.

Built around the carbon fiber MonoCell II-T Monocoque structure with exceptional levels of strength and rigidity, the grand tourer weighs just 3,373 pounds (1,530 kilograms). At the back, there’s a 14.83-cubic-feet (420-liter) luggage compartment hiding underneath a glass tailgate with soft-close function as standard and an optional power opening and closing. McLaren says it has positioned the engine and its exhaust system as low as possible to free up more space. Another 5.30-cu-ft (150-liter) cargo space is located at the front for a grand total of 20.12 cu-ft (570 liters) – the most you’ll find in a McLaren. For comparison, the GT's spiritual successor, the 570GT had 13.1 cu-ft (370 liters).

Step inside the cabin, and you’ll find a cozy space designed for long trips with comfortable, electrically adjustable, and heated seats. McLaren says they are specially optimized for long-distance travels with perfect padding and shoulder plus back support. The interior also features “the most sophisticated McLaren infotainment system,” ambient lighting, and an optional electrochromic glass roof instead of the standard glassy black carbon fiber panel. A 12-speaker Bowers & Wilkins premium audio system with carbon fiber subwoofer and Kevlar midrange speakers is also available at an additional cost.

To further improve the comfort for the driver and passenger in the cabin and minimize chassis noise, McLaren uses special engine mounts that are only half as stiff as the 600LT's. Speaking of the motor, the GT employs a new 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8 delivering 620 horsepower (462 kilowatts) and 465 pound-feet (630 Newton-meters) of torque between 5,500 and 6,500 rpm. Connected to a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission, the unit propels the grand tourer from a standstill to 62 miles per hour (0-100 kilometers per hour) in just 3.2 seconds. More importantly, McLaren explains the engine with internal code M840TE has more than 95 percent of its peak torque available between 3,000 and 7,250 rpm, which ensures you’ll have more than enough oomph when overtaking at any speed.

The suspension of the GT relies on a version of the 720S’ Optimal Control Theory chassis, which uses signals from sensors to read the road ahead, predict what is likely to happen next, and adjust the dampers in just two milliseconds. In addition, three active steering modes are available - Comfort, Sport, and Track.

The new GT is already available from McLaren dealers around the world with customer deliveries scheduled to begin towards the end of this year. Prices start at $210,000 (MSRP).

https://www.motor1.com/news/349654/mclaren-gt-unveiled-official-details/

:motherofgod:

McLaren can still design good looking cars!

The front and back look good, but you don't notice it because your eye just goes straight to that absurdly massive side intake. It's all I can see.

I think it is pretty elegant design. The side intakes are large but I think the right color/trim spec could probably make them less noticeable. I'm curious how they'll keep your stored items from cooking...

That bronze paint on the first pics in the thread make for a stunning car.

i finally figured out what bugs me about the design...what's up with that front overhang??

Not trying to be a contrarian, because I really like most McLaren designs (the 675LT and 720S my favourites), but this one looks fugly to me.