[20x01] June 30th, 2013

[20x01] June 30th, 2013

• Total voters
8/10
I'd like to see an expanded News segment in 1st episodes. They've been away for a while and could use extra time to catch up on what's happened in the auto world since they've been gone.

Definitely agree with this. They used to do it back when they actually discussed car news.

I should have mentioned before that I really appreciated that they tested three hatchbacks as the "real" portion of the show. Far too frequently they test a special edition of a hypercar we've already seen many times, so it was nice to see something different.

Decent start to the new series... It was a bit scripted, but I think they have to do that more because the BBC watches over there activities more....

Did any one notice that during the filming in New Zealand that JC's car never deployed its air bags... Humm... Toyota should look into that a bit, but i bet they disconnected the air bags so they would not deploy...

Next week should be good be cause of the Ferrari F12.. Can't wait..

Gave it a 7.
Loved the hot hatch part
and that's about it

Who else noticed the first time round that Jeremy was in the blue collora 59mins in when he should be in the red one already?

And all these talks about "Oh i trash my rental car" is a bit too much. We know everyone does it, but come on, talking about it in public is a bit too much...

Something like this:

<excellent Chris Harris Comparison>

Yep, just like that. How much more did he cram into that 8 minutes (before he took to the track) than Hammond managed in 12 minutes of gurning and looking like he couldn't wait to get back in his helicopter and piss off home? Hot hatches should be tested on the public road (where they will be driven), not a bloody aerodrome.

6/10.. the entire episode was scripted to hell.. literally every moment seemed to be prepared in advance. The SIARPC was occasionally funny despite the scripting.. but everything was just so 'meh' overall. The race/challenge was straight up dumb. Every scene had Jeremy in a different prepared location and it never showed how he ended up at those places. It was ridiculously fragmented and makes me think half of what we saw was filmed after the race had already taken place. It was loaded with filler to try to make the race more exciting/entertaining. It merely felt illegitimate or like they were trying too hard.

I thought it a pretty decent episode. Certainly nothing spectacular, but it had a good mix.

I personally thought the hot hatch review to be quite good. Somewhat more journalism that recent attempts and I rather liked the edits.
Since it was the first news segment after an extended break, I had hoped for some more car coverage...maybe blaming some ridiculous and obscure fact for the cancellation of the C-X75?
As for the New Zealand race? I thought it was altogether rather satisfying. The scripted crashes certainly weren't optimum, but they were obviously set up - I mean to say that they could be somewhat plausible. Let's call it suspension of disbelief. The driving and utter thrashing of the rental car? Gold.

Good start to the series, A little rusty after being off for several months. The main disappointment was the Richard Hammond piece at the start! If I want to watch car reviews I'll watch Fifth Gear, more dicking about is needed! Started off slowly and came home strongly, no pun intended, the show came home "with a wet sail"!

8/10
Thought the episode was really funny.
Yes the episode is scripted, but if I remember correctly all Top Gear episodes are scripted in some way!!
So I don't think you can deduct points for top gear being scripted.
I liked the episode and had fun watching it.
It wa somewhat informative with the hot hatches, and I loved the NZ race

We don't deduct points for the scripting, just the lameness, the jokes that you can see coming from ten miles away and the ones that treat the audience like idiots.

I agree something feels off about the Astra. When it was unveiled I couldn't work out why.
Vauxhall are generally rubbish, but not Korean Reasonably Priced rubbish.

Dacia Sandero anyone?

Last edited:
Well Proton are utter shite and a real step backwards, Hyundai is Kia's sister company, they've done Daewoo in the form of the Chevy Lacetti and all the other Japanese manufacturers are too big/expensive. Short of a Perodua there isn't that much in terms of small, emerging car makers left bar Dacia. If they could have gone another series then the new Mazda 3 might have been a better fit.

just saw it again the second time, but no improvemet. 3/10 - maybe the most boring episode ever?

the 60 minute long kia-ad @ 19x04 was bad, but this was bad AND boring.

i cannot even remember which car hammond was testing at the beginning. i guess it was some hot hatch? and then, please! not another race! if you do a race, do something exciting, something new and creative. and why did they choose a, erm... cannot remember the other car either. was it a toyota? why a new everyday-toyota? do something new! if you choose a toyota, make sure you get a thrill. an used tuned supra or something similar, not a car i see everyday

Having watched it, it's okay. Maybe a 7. But is that because the quality has got worse, or that we're just all jaded? We know all the tricks they use. We know the setups. Is it time we just judged it harmless, mindless entertainment like all the other shows on the telly?

It was a pretty good episode. 7/10 But this one made me feel just how spoiled I have become with the show. When I saw the car Jeremy picked for the race, I was disappointed. I wanted to see something like the new Ferrari F12 or the new Pagani. But I know that if he chose one of those crazy supercars, I would have wanted to see him chose something more realistic, like the Corolla. That really made me realize how difficult it must be to satisfy their audience.

I guess at the end of the day, I just want them to do what they want to do, rather than what they think the majority of their audience wants.

6/10

Very average

Am i the only one that expected Jeremy to tell James that he was driving the Toyota only to wait till he was gone and hop in a supercar? all i was thinking was "there is no way jezza is going to drive that thing, it MUST be a joke"

I hate that the SIARPC thing was exactly the same. Did the writers take a day off?

Last edited:
6/10

Very average

Am i the only one that expected Jeremy to tell James that he was driving the Toyota only to wait till he was gone and hop in a supercar? all i was thinking was "there is no way jezza is going to drive that thing, it MUST be a joke"

Haha I was thinking the same thing. They are only on air for six episodes (or something) after half a year. In that time new cars came out that are geniunely exciting (or new cars they missed some time ago) so you think they will test some interesting car, but no ... The same thing can be said about the hot hatches. It's always a Renault or a Ford. What about a Suzuki Swift Sport for example? Some other brands to mix it up a bit ... For the first time I realised the news was horrible. God damn! How can you mess it up after 6 months of abscence? It was very very average and quite dissappointing... 6

Oh they didn't show enough scenery... Um... were... you... watching? I think you'll find they covered most of what you can see up in that region of NZ. You want Glacier's, waterfalls and more sheep to look at, you're on the wrong island.

Me myself I don't care that the crashes were scripted, I'm just glad the boys are back on telly, and its cool that they finally came down here to film a segment. Although South Island next time lads :shakefist::p

I'm on the same page as you for this one. North Island for the nightlife, South for the scenery is what I always got told when I lived there :)

Hello everybody,

First time posting here :) I am sad to report a bit of editing snafu... did anybody notice that at 59:04 Clarkson was driving a blue Toyota? I just wanted to point that out. Either way I LOVE TOP GEAR!!!!!

The problem with Chris Harris' review is that while it's obviously a better "car review" most of the public won't watch it. TG stopped being a car review show a long, long time ago.