[20x01] June 30th, 2013

[20x01] June 30th, 2013

• Total voters
I'm perplexed as to why Willman said he thinks the New Zealand race is one of the best films they've ever made. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't exactly amazing either.

I'm perplexed as to why Willman said he thinks the New Zealand race is one of the best films they've ever made. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't exactly amazing either.

What??!? Better than the supercars on the French bridge, better than the "Finding the perfect driving road", better than Veyron vs Cessna, better than series 13 finale???

Was Andy drunk? :shock2:

Last edited:
You make a valid point though. Just because someone might think that TG is better than most content on TV is no reason to kiss their collective arses. Bar series 18 the standard has been pretty shocking of late, never mind one lacklustre and pointless and one frankly embarrasing special.
I don't know. I agree that the last couple of specials have been bad, but I enjoyed both series 18 and 19. Neither had a really bad episode. There was even some good ones in 17, e.g. 17x02.

Can't wait for TGUS.
Honestly I feel the same way. TGUS has become fresh and entertaining. TGUK has become predictable and stale. I've seen every episode multiple times and as much as I want old Top Gear back and still look forward to new episodes, I think it is time for them to put this one to sleep. 5 forgettable cars and a cool sailboat which was entertaining for about 5 minutes.

I used to say that "TGUK is over" some other related crap... Well, maybe I was a bit to harsh and, as some pointed out, maybe things are not that bad... (I am taking back some but not all of my previous statements, but I'll talk about it later) It's just I expect a bit too much from them... Having said that, it is true that this episode had some bright moments... and some useless moments... If you don't like TGUK, then watch another proper, fine quality TV show that fits up to your special needs... If you can find it...

It's really not that hard. The concept of that race was great, but it was utterly ruined by the fact that it was scripted. The idea of reviewing the three hatches was great, but the general idiocy and pointlessness of the review made it boring.

I didn't mind the hatch review, the race had its moments, too. What I meant, though, was that some people on this board loved both. And some hated both. No matter what they do, they're not going to achieve 100% approval from the fans/viewers.

... If you don't like TGUK, then watch another proper, fine quality TV show that fits up to your special needs... If you can find it...

This suggestion is like turning your back on an old dear friend because he has become an a alcoholic and caught scabies.

I just drove the Fiesta ST a few days ago and I wasn't that impressed. Don't get me wrong it is a fine car but not as great as they made it out to be.

I was amazed when he said this, especially as both Jeremy and Richard both tweeted after the show that the best was yet to come later in the series. I agree with Wilman that it looked beautiful but the fact that James had nothing meaningful to do and no one to bounce off verbally meant that once you had seen him getting soaked once then all the other times were a bit boring. I have to admire his pluck in doing the race, though. Despite this and the odd annoyance (The ST whinge and recycling the BBQ) I enjoyed the episode and thought it was a solid start to the series.

Hot hatch reviews were fab, but the news was pretty unfunny and Richard's awkwardness really wasn't funny and Joss looked kinda creeped out. I loved the small bloke though, such a great sport and took Richard and Jimmy's jokes. And Jimmy breaking the car was pretty funny. I didn't like the race very much. James is just too old for that kind of treatment. It was more cringe worthy than funny. i really felt bad for him. Jeremy's parts were great though. "A maniac in a tractor going 70 KPH!" 8/10 considering it was the first episode (if it were mid season it'd be a 7)

After listening to William's logic about the New Zealand race being one of the best films that they've done i'd have to agree with them, it's a hell of a film. The episode as a whole maybe is only good but the race was spectacular.

Warwick Davis making the height joke at Richard, and Richard (seemingly) catching Jeremy off-guard with his response to Jeremy wanting to share his 'little secret'. (I don't care if it was 100% scripted or not, Jeremy's reaction was well done)

what did that joke even mean? :blink:

It was alright. The SIARPC segment and news were pretty boring and went on for too long. The hot hatch test and race were ok.

7/10

+ great location and scenery in New Zealand
+ Warwick Davis! <3
- New reasonably-priced car is barely reasonably-priced, while not being nearly as lovely/cute/interesting/fun as the Cee'd <3
- Most of the comedic stuff is lame
- News + SIARPC were wayyyyyyyyy too long!

Lots of people will say that you can't please everyone, and that is definitely true. However, the polls don't lie. The most selected rating is a 7. Only 15% gave it a 9 or a 10. For Top Gear, that's bad. Most of us have echoed the same feelings I had about this episode - The hatchback test was the only thing people consistently said was good. Lacking in information, yes. But, it's now a worldwide show so facts and trim options are meaningless talking points because they aren't universal around the globe.

Still, the rest of the show stunk and it had nothing to do with the cinematography or the storyline and everything to do with the actors/presenters and the writing. Yes, Top Gear is scripted and we all know it. But a show rises and falls on the strength of its writing. That's why The Big Bang Theory airs five times a day on TBS and Adam Corolla's show on Speed didn't make it one season.

As far as the presenters, at this point they are pretty much actors. This inconvenient truth reared its head most when Jeremy sung the praises of the Lexus LF-A last season. I also think Jeremy and James especially are just getting too old to do anything but stand around and talk. Jeremy's physical appearance is now annoying to me. I'm not saying he has to get a facelift, but lose the gut for crying out loud. It'd be nice to know he has cheekbones once again. There's a reason that Jason guy only made it one season with the show, and it wasn't just his personality. Fat doesn't sell television, fact. James (without getting too far off topic) is great on his other shows (i.e. Man Lab). BUT, he has no business riding a racing sailboat for 8 hours, a situation he knows he will find miserable and just whinge about. Hammond should have been on the boat and Jeremy and James in the car together. That would have made for a more entertaining race. You'd have James and Jezza wearing on each other, and Hammond doing something he is more suited to. That's why he was on the dog sled at the North Pole, not James.

Finally, for me, I have been spoiled by Top Gear US. Those guys are just younger with more energy, they're always together doing challenges now and their relationship to each other is always on show and hilarious. The plots aren't always good, but the story never feels as scripted as TG UK has in recent seasons. In my humble opinion, right now, TG UK is not the best Top Gear. It's up to them to right the ship.