[20x01] June 30th, 2013

[20x01] June 30th, 2013

• Total voters
the hot hatch part was cool, richard seemed to honestly like the fiesta ST, the race was interesting, but the whole rehash celeb party thing they had for the new SIARPC car was just about as lame as it was last time

The hot hatch was okay, news was fun. Enjoyed the beginning of the race, but the second half fell flat. The RPC was awful - though I did enjoy seeing Brian Johnson return.

The RPC was awful

You've got it wrong there mate...being a Vauxhall, it still IS awful :D

Back to the Episode: nice race, love New Zealand. I wouldn't say anything is scripted, Jeremy did just as promised: careless driving. If you would drive without caring about anything, if a gap is big enough etc, same thing would happen. Enjoyed it.

The bit with the stars? Strangely enjoyed it. David Haye and this boxing machine: priceless.

Hatches bit was ok. Could be longer (love the 208).
News: awful. In recent series, it's just pointless. No news involved.

7/10.

And yes, i stayed up until now to watch this episode. 3 in the morning, had a 400km drive until 1, true fan :D

Last edited:
Recycled Ford "ST" joke..
Recycled new Reasonably Priced Car segment..

Hot hatch review was very good though.

Someone please shoot whoever edited the first bit. The changing aspect ratios make me nauseous.
Also the race bit. If you had as a viewer your eyes open you can clearly see that front of the first car was dirty , then it was clean , then dirty , then clean and so on. What a stupid mistake by professional.

Review was okay, News was forgettable, RPC was strangely amusing in a few places but an overly scripted rehash, race was good. 7/10, May watch again...

7 for me. Hot hatch and the news were meh, because the hot hatches were reviewed by Autocar and Christ Harris already they don't feel fresh or insightful.
New SIARPC is a bit pointless. Don't see why the Cee'd needs to be replaced (I couldn't recall how many series it has been used, feels like the shortest lived one). The segment was nothing new, and epic fail for inviting Chalres Dance but not Peter Dinklage.
Rental car challenge is a bit of a echo to the US version. Yeah brought me some laughs but it's very scripted nevertheless.

8 out of 10 for me. Like it was really good in the segments I thought wouldn't be as good like SIARPC and the review, but I thought the race was just meh, mostly cause of Jeremy and choice of car too. Although then again, you could pick any car and you could only go as fast you could. Or at least he could've picked a Range Rover or something.

David Haye and this boxing machine: priceless.

Did he seriously landed a 720lbs punch? :blink:

Solid ep! Not ground-breaking, but not awful either. Nice one to watch :)

Enjoyed the hot hatch bit, the news was the news, and just likes its been for the last few series, just a waste of time for the most part, the SIRPC segment was even worse then news, the only good bits was the eye candy, if not for them,I would of skipped it. The race was entertaing, not even close to being as good as preivous ones, but it was still decent, always enjoy when Jeremy wrecks things

I would give it a 7, more if not for the SIRPC segment

Compared to the Arctic Special, it was a 5/10. Compared to the India Special, it was a 11/10. I give it an 8/10.

Some of you guys are so hard to please! :p

Edit: When Jimmy Carr said "I think I may have broken the car" I almost died laughing.

Last edited:
The introduction for the new series was a rehash, they've done that "we've changed and now it's a more serious show" thing at least 3 times now. Find a better way to introduce the new series and roll a montage.

Hot Hatches - enjoyed this bit, Richard genuinely seemed taken by the Fiesta ST. And you know it's more genuine because when Richard has to fake anything it's usually beyond obvious. But then they go and ruin it at the end by rehashing the "ST" joke.

News - nothing special, some decent bits though.

SIARPC - again, a complete rehash of a segment they've done before. Find a new way to introduce a new reasonably priced car. Seems like the creative and production team at Top Gear could use some new blood and new ideas. This segment did thankfully have a couple good moments in it, including just having Rachel Riley on there.

New Zealand race - enjoyed this bit even though some of it seemed heavily scripted such as Jeremy's crashes. But it's all in good fun. Great scenery and riding on that boat for so long would be torturous. Really felt for James on this challenge, I would've been getting sick on that boat.

So an average episode for me but it's always good to seem them back on-air. Way, way too much rehashed material though. If you're reading this BBC and want new creative blood, I have ideas for days. PM me! Hehehe

Good start to the series. Adding graphics over video is risky, but the swirling lines in the hot hatch segment gave a nice emphasis. News may have been short on news, but had some good giggles, like James' cheese sauce road repair. While one half of the car v boat race was heavily scripted, the yacht bit looked genuine - wet, rough and very unpleasant - so James deserved a win, scripted or otherwise. RP(new)C intro was a little better than the previous track picnic thanks to Jimmy Carr breaking it and some nice eye candy.

Would have awarded 8, but it's been a while since our last dose and any TG is better than no TG (India special excepted), so it gets a 7 from me.

I want to make it plain I'm writing this without seeing what anyone else wrote.

It was, to quote noted philosopher Shaquille O'Neal, "horri-awful."

The hot hatch test should have been brilliant. Instead, it was 10 minutes of just Hammond saying "this car is good, this car is okay, this car is brilliant." Nothing was actually conveyed.

The news was utter shit. I can't stress this enough. Get rid of this segment. It's just awful stilted "jokes" with nothing left to prop it up.

The outdoor party for the new SIARPC Vauxhall. Again, too much stilted "comedy" (the crap with the little person, and the interactions with Joss and Hammond), and just not a lot of interesting bit.

Lastly, the "race." So, you go all the way to New Zealand, and you have some of the best cinematographers in the world, and you can't devote more time to showcasing how gorgeous it is?
This is Top fucking Gear. The car should at least be interesting. The "hire car" concept was novel, but the car itself was horrible. What's the point if it's not at least a car that people who watch car shows can get interested in?

Honestly, I love this show so much, like all here, and I want it to be great. I've been critical of some of their series (such as 14, 16, 19), but this has really been one of the worst (non-India special) episodes I can think of.

News made me laugh, hot hatch thing wasn't bad, RPC segment saved only by the eye candy and Warwick Davis and a cracking race in amazing scenery ruined by lame fake crashes.

5/10 + a point for James' suffering.

Boring and obvious, I fast forwarded through most of it. 6/10 is probably a bit generous.

The RPC segment was unnecessarily long. And the race was a bit boring. Overall it was not up to the usual mark.

Last edited: