[20x02] July 7th, 2013

[20x02] July 7th, 2013

• Total voters
As was said, not the best one but much better than last week.

For the bike: maybe the shopkeeper just saw Jeza's belly and thought he needed a bike suitable for pregnant women.

Last edited:
Look, I don't need Top Gear to make me laugh, I just want to be entertained and informed. Some of the best pieces they've ever done were not funny. The Ayrton Senna tribute, the Saab tribute, the Lancia tribute, all excellent without trying to be funny. I agree with the people that say the forced humor has to stop. People who have to try to be funny seldom are.

Reactions: TC
What road/location was used in the Ferrari F12 review?

I heard him say it was in Hertfordshire. Where about in there? I live in Herts but I didn't recognize the location from the places I know here.

The town is Pitlochry on the edge of the Scottish Highlands. Hertfordshire is as flat a football pitch compared, and presumably why Clarkson made a joke of it. How on earth you might think even for a moment it was the outskirts of Letchworth is beyond me, particularly as you claim to actually live in the county. Where in Hertfordshire do you reside that is even remotely like that?

For me this episode was all hat and no cattle. Again. Gave it a very generous 3.

Monkey Harris. If only....

Lots of people want this - but is it really the right way? Putting a serious motoring journalist in an entertainment show?
Would maybe bring TG back to what it was before, with guys like Tiff Needell.

Ouch. There is more team spirit and bickering in the Fith Gear Car Of The Week bit than this whole episode. More content too.

Not much cringe worthy acting-funny stuff. But the re-re-rehashing of the taxi bit was pretty cringe worthy nonetheless.

Last week episode, I gave it a 6/10 because it was dull and without any emotion ...

This week was much much better! I really liked the mono review (great visuals, great review, great Jezza, ...). It was one of the best reviews in a long time. The news was really funny as well (compared to last week). There were funny bits in it and no rehashed jokes. The taxi race was so so because of the scripted crashes. I rather have the bus race (which was more geniune and intenser). I liked the Doug Lampkin part because I really like watching trail (amazing bike control). Finally the F12 review was also very good and old top gearish. I really hope they include a lap around the track because that was the one missing from this episode ... Overall: after the rather dismall season 18 and 19 this was a relief! I really liked it and I already watched it again ... 8/10

It's a proper good top gear episode, each piece is properly well done by a single presenter.
Disappointment here, too. I like and prefer stuff done by all three of them together.
For single presenter review, there are youtube channels with quality reviews that's also very enjoyable.
The irreplaceable part of BBC top gear is the chemistry between the three, working together, laughing at each other, etc.
Gave an 8 because last episode is plain awful, make this one feels much better.

Last edited:
LOL, that's incredible. Also - it's a ladies' bike.

(Mind you, I'm an avid biker myself)

That's not surprising. When Clarkson wrote about his experiences with the Vespa, he said he had no problem with the idea of step-through bikes set up to accommodate a woman's dress -- or a kilt. (My own suspicion is that he has trouble swinging a leg over a seat.)

- - - Updated - - -

As for the episode: I give it an 8.

For me, the most boring part of the show was the BAC Mono review. It's essentially an update of his Ariel Atom review plus his Lotus race car review.

I liked Hammond's taxi race. Sure it's scripted, most of these touring car races usually are. And I found the ending a genuine surprise; I would have thought they'd game it for the London taxi instead of the Hindustani.

SIARPC: it was one of the few interviews that I actually paid attention to. Ron Howard has been an A-list director for some time now, and he knew how to plug his movie in such a way that I'd like to go see it. When you get a guest to relax and have fun, that's a good thing.

The BBC TV Centre race: let's make this clear. This could *only* happen on Top Gear. It couldn't have appeared on May's Man Lab or Toy Story series because there was no principle that required proving, or no Real Man's Technique that required demonstration. It was a fun, "cocking about" race that was well-scripted (to answer the health-n-safety boffins), well choreographed and well shot. It's a definite keeper for the production crew's demo reels.

As for the Ferrari, well, that's fine, a typical Clarkson review.

What was the reference when Jeremy said "Some say the Stig breaks into your house and leaves 2 mysterious keys"?

What was the reference when Jeremy said "Some say the Stig breaks into your house and leaves 2 mysterious keys"?
Unless there's some UK news, or maybe a political or celebrity scandal I'm unaware of, then I suspect it's a reference to the keys that seem to collect in a kitchen drawer over the years. When you want a key to unlock something, none in the drawer fit - so what do they fit? And since they don't seem to fit anything, did I really put them in there? :???:

He's also wearing shorts, something he has mercilessly mocked men for doing for years.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought this episode was good and I don't understand all the moaning. The cinematography on the Ferrari film was simply incredible--they should win an award for that one.

I would say though that Hammond's taxi introductions went on for too long and that time would have been much better used with a F12 lap by the Stig.

Last edited:
The news, the taxi race and the James bit were too awful to watch for me. A stale, lukewarm repetition of what they were doing years ago but worse.
Ron Howards, the Stig wringing the Bac Mono and the Ferrari piece were really good, that brought it up to a 5.
All in all I have to say I'd rather watch a 10 min vid of Chris Harris than an hour of revamped stuff from TG. More interesting and entertaining.
Please bring back the three guys being out there with 'Cars'. I just hope they find a way to be as funny as they were in stuff like the communist race bit.

7/10 we could of done with out the taxi race and the jumping race.. The Ferrari segment was good but could of been a bit better given more time.
It should've been written like this:
We could've done without...
The Ferrari segment was good but could've been...
God it is annoying when errors like that spread around. How could anybody think this is the correct way?

Last edited:
Please bring back the three guys being out there with 'Cars'. I just hope they find a way to be as funny as they were in stuff like the communist race bit.

Problem is, they'll do a bit similar to Communist Cars and everyone will just complain about how recycled it is.