[20x02] July 7th, 2013

[20x02] July 7th, 2013

• Total voters
I overrated this by giving it a 5 I think. The Mono review and the F12 earned all of those points themselves. As others have said we've seen Hammond run that race before, only with less blatantly set up stunts. James' segment was so transparently staged it was painful to watch, not to mention its complete lack of relevance to a motoring show! Finally, the news was largely painful especially the bit about the expanding F1 car....we get it we need you to come up with absurd solutions fixing all the world's problems, move on. Credit where it's due though I loved the cyclist t-shirt. And, as usual, the cinematography was spectacular throughout the Ferrari review. Here's hoping for something MUCH better next week.

Pretty good episode overall, but I was left unsure about the taxi race segment. Although it was still entertaining, I was kind of bummed with the sheer amount of scripted and orchestrated accidents. The old "People Carrier" race from a long time ago managed to be just as funny and entertaining without purposely scripting events. I enjoyed the drifting limo more than any of the added BS in the race!

7/10 Only because im being nice

Let me say that as understanding as i am with this show im disappointed by 20-01 and 20-02 apart from Jezzas test

I usually love richards motorsport gags but this one was dead and it was killed by richard. If he had just kept his mouth shut and ran that race it would have been just as good. i will say that the mexico comment was funny though.

James's film. I get that it was a dedication to the BBC building and its history(i heard all about this because i listen to BBC News) but this isnt the platform for this film. It had NOTHING to do with cars. at the very least they could have a a couple P50's race in there or something or even bored us with a "all the cars ever parked in its parking lot here in one place" film. this was a joke.

Jezza had a great film with the F12 (i love to talk about that car but ill save that for the thread about the F12). It was a classic top gear film made by some of the best filmmakers in the world. Im not saying Jezza shouldnt be in it but, once in a while they do a film that is so well done that no commentary is needed. Just showing the car with music is fine, this was one of those films. Really, take jeremy out of it and its still a great looking film that does wonders for that car. That will be up there with only a handfull as one of my all time favorites.

[rant]Anyways, im unhappy Andy. For years me and a bunch of people on this forum wait for months a couple times a year to see the new show and for most of us we are very happy and entertained with what you do but so far im disappointed and a bit let down. I actually had to force myself to finish watching last weeks show and, to be honest, if it wasnt for Jezzas film, this one would have lost me after the BBC thing. You have some of the greatest people in the world at film making at your disposal and some of the best writers as well but you come up with 2 kids and a bycycle driving through a building for your "car show" this week? Really? James didnt even look happy there. When was the last season we all were disappoint with? was it 15 i believe? I should never cringe when i watch the show unless Jeremy says something stupid and pisses off the Italian mafia or truck drivers or something but then i cringe and laugh so i guess it ok when that happens. either way, ill end this rant but let me say that this is not the best you guys can do so please, for us dedicated fans and everyone else as well, step it up. The world is a better place when TG is at its peak.[/rant]

Last edited:
The cinematography on the BAC Mono and f12berltinetta segments were fantastic. I've often felt that HD Top Gear looks worse than SD Top Gear, but they're getting the magic back with this episode.

I normally love the BTCC skits, but this one sucked. Compared to the sheer mayhem of the "Best Bus for Britain" or "RV Racing" skits, this was quite tame and quite lame.

The BBC Television Centre skit had some good stunts and good camera footage, but I agree that James just watching on TV like the rest of us at home was also lame.

Ron Howard was a solid guest - likable and entertaining.

Average "The News" segment.

Another 7/10 for me. Same as last week, some good segments, some not so good segments....might rewatch parts of it. And I shall, just to see what I've missed (as that usually happens). I just don't know if I'll be rewatching it in a few months.

Another 7/10 for me. Same as last week, some good segments, some not so good segments....might rewatch parts of it. And I shall, just to see what I've missed (as that usually happens). I just don't know if I'll be rewatching it in a few months.

Well said. It took me alot more to make that point so maybe i should just retype it, lol

This one really didn't work for me. The track car thing Jeremy drove first was kinda cool, but the car never left the TG test track, so I was a bit bored. James May's race was alright, but his un-involvement and there being no real cars in the race, just a purpose built stunt bike, made it a bit boring too. And then there was Richard's race, which showed promise, but the staged stunts ruined it.

This episode was well on it's way to a 4/10 at this point, but then there was the F12 Ferrari review, which wasn't on the TG test track!! It was nice to see a different setting for a review, especially one on public roads and around town. I much prefer these types of reviews. I'd much rather see Jezza putting around town in an exotic than powersliding around the TG test track like usual. Brings it up to a 6/10.

From what I understand about how limos are build, the center extended section is the strongest part of the car, rigidity-wise. I don't understand the physics involved, but would/could it be mowed through like that?

Sucks that Jezza didn't do a track test of the F12 and that it wasn't driven by Stiggie (hope they do that later on; maybe a comparo). It was nice to hear them talking about the LaFerrari and P1 and about a possible future segment...although I would like the 3rd car to be the Porsche 918 instead of the Zonda, which I don't think is even road legal because it's basically a Zonda R, since it's more of a competitor to the LaFerrari and P1 even though it's less powerful and heavier, kinda weird they didn't mention the 918 at all.

Overall, it was better than last week and hopefully the upcoming episodes keep improving.

Last edited:
Gave it a 7 out ot 10.

The BAC Mono part was quite interesting and good. (8/10)
The news, pretty ok as well. (5/10)
Richard's test was way overdone with all the crashes and such, should have been toned down a lot and more serious. (3/10)
James' part was really good imho as I enjoy both trial and parkour and it's always fun to see stuff like this inside buildings. (9/10)
Jezza's test was good as well though I don't care that much for Ferrari's as I'm more of a Lambo-man, but still great to watch. (8/10)

So all in all a solid 7/10.

From what I understand about how limos are build, the center extended section is the strongest part of the car, rigidity-wise. I don't understand the physics involved, but would/could it be mowed through like that?

That one was prepared to be split in half. Watch it again and you'll notice 2 things: 1)- At the moment of the crash, there's no one in the limo and 2)- It splits perfectly in half, in a perfectly straight line. Like they stopped the race, cut the limo in half with a saw, crashed, and then resumed the race.

Another blatant one is the ramp they hid behind the tire wall so the Mercedes could spin in the air in a spectacular way when it crashed. Let's be honest: In a race between an Embassator, a beetle and an old van... That Merc could've won even driving in reverse.

Sucks that Jezza didn't do a track test of the F12 and that it wasn't driven by Stiggie (hope they do that later on; maybe a comparo). Overall, it was slightly better than last week and hopefully the upcoming episodes keep improving.

Well not only was he testing the car itself but he also wanted to make the point that cars like the Ferrari can still be driven in Britain today.

Gave it a 7. The car reviews were okay but I just wish they would get a bit more technical with them. The news segment was great, I liked the Ferrari-Mclaren-Pagani pissing contest and the point Jeremy made about the Pirelli tyres was really interesting. It was okay but I just don't understand why their car reviews are so stupid. There are so many interesting things to be said about these cars, but all they do is drive fast in them and try to come up with mindless analogies about elephant shit. I understand that a lot of their viewers are brain dead and wouldn't be interested, but they're working for a public broadcasting company, so there's really no excuse for this.

It's also worth noting that the poll results look like a middle finger being raised.

Last edited:
Well not only was he testing the car itself but he also wanted to make the point that cars like the Ferrari can still be driven in Britain today.

Or he just wanted to drive the F12 somewhere nice. Either way, who cares! It will be on the track soon im sure

Has anyone noticed that the cinematography keeps improving every series?? Unlike other aspect of the show, their editing , post production, camera work, etc...is really good... those effects on the F12 film are truly great... sadly, when the cinematography is the best bit of an episode, it is because the rest... was not as good (to be gentle)... I will say that I like this series (so far) more than the previous one, but only because of the things I talked about... and because I don't like the LFA. It's a great car, but hell, there are better and cheaper cars out there!!!

I was very critical of last week's show. I shall try to be more easy going this week, and I will admit this was much more satisfying. It felt more like Top Gear should, but...

BAC Mono: Very interesting car even though I don't see the point of it. Who's going to spend that kind of money on a track day car? And before someone says Zonda R, that was built to blitz the Nurburgring. What's the Mono ever done apart from break down? Nonetheless, good facts, great camera shots. Another great Stig lap with a car sliding all over the place! Very Caterham R500 like.

News: Funny at first, then let's try to design our own race cars? If that made it in, what did they cut?

Taxi cabs: Destruction works for me.

SIARPC: Ron Howard? Really! I did not see that coming! I love his work, but apparently that's all he can have an intelligent convesration about. I'm not surprised he wasn't quick. I still dislike the Astra. I want the Cee'd back.

Ferrari F12: My god, I can't stop looking at that car. Forget the 730HP, that might be the most beautiful car I've ever seen. The backdrop was great, awesome cinematography! Great facts as well. Although, Jeremy gripes about the steering wheel controls and then when he is playing tennis he says the Ferrari 458 is easy to drive despite having the same controls. Eh? And also, why didn't the Stig lap it? I would have gladly watched that car on screen for another 5 minutes and a Stig lap in place of...

James' Building Race: Um, pointless. Watching James standing around looking at a strapped on monitor while other people race through a building? I know you have to have each presenter on for a segment, but what the hell were they thinking? The rest of the world does not care that BBC Television Centre has closed up. Forget it! I want more Ferrari F12!

I gave it an 8 because there's no 8.5. Much better, but as I said last week, sometimes the car is the star, and that's what the F12 is. It's the star of that film without question. Give the people what they want!