[20x03] July 14th, 2013

[20x03] July 14th, 2013

• Total voters
Awesome episode!!!! I give it a 9/10 and this is easily the best episode of the season (so far)!

Want more of this kind of Top Gear! So many (great) cars still to be shown that I'm missing yet...

No Hammond crashing into the other cars. No James getting lost on the track. Epic.

Yeah, I thought of that as well. It was not exactly represntative, but still a comment from a Spanish FG member may be enlightening.

Also, I'm curious where the abandoned "new" airport was, as used in the speed test, anyone know? (Gibraltar Airport is mentioned in the Spoilers section, but it's clearly not there.)

:smile:

Cuidad Real, south of Madrid

8/10. Fantastic episode, though to be nitpicky, I would've like to see it broken up a bit more with maybe another small feature after the news.

I see the non petrol head viewers didn't like it cos there was no TG Comedy. :rolleyes:

I definitely would consider myself a non petrol head (I drive a Hyundai *G*), but I must say that this was a fantastic episode. Definite a return to form, classic. I will definitely be rewatching this'n.

"No one expects the Spanish Speedhump" *G*

There were definitely some blatant scripted bits (every single person in that town wanted to take a pic of the 12C :rolleyes:), there wasn't a proper car review (just the road trip, news and SIARPC), the news was kinda funny, guest was pretty good, and the road trip itself was also pretty good and hilarious at times.

7.5/10

Wonderful supercar film, classic top gear. Airport was funny, but was it honestly that empty? Or did they just shut it down? Cool top speed stuff, but, of course, they could've gone faster. That would be really dangerous though. Drag race was very interesting, but a bit unfair. The damage done was absolutely cringeworthy and had me looking away at parts. Almost 100% sure that the house bit was fake. They most likely called ahead. The hit in the Ferrari.. oh god that sucked. The track actually looked pretty cool, and the stig was an absolute star in that Jag, just awesome. And the boys, even James, we all great. The conclusion was funny, but predictable News was funnier and more entertaining. Was Chuffart real? Lol. The guest, as usually, i didn't care for, since i'm an American watching American television (other than top gear) and i had no clue who the chap was. Nice guy though. Solid 8.5/10. There's no 8.5 on here, and i'm feeling nice, so i give it a 9/10

There were definitely some blatant scripted bits (every single person in that town wanted to take a pic of the 12C :rolleyes:),

Actually, I think it was as simple as James May showing up in a supercar, parking, getting out, signing autographs, people telling their friends to come see. Then Hammond does the same thing, more crowds, more attention. And finally, when it's much darker outside and the crowds are much larger, word having spread that TopGear is at the marina, Jeremy comes rolling along in his bright yellow MP412C with the top down. They probably knew what was going to happen, but I wouldn't call it scripted.

A good but somewhat unusual episode. I really liked that the gags are more subtle and wink-wink now, and they don't just make crude penis jokes and say "cock" and giggle. Some of the Spain sequences were great.

It did feel a little stretched out at times though, probably because they didn't have any other films and they needed to fill up the hour. The guest's lap seemed to go on longer than they usually do, for example. I did however rather enjoy James' Lufthansa impression.

Also Richard genuinely seemed tired on the street circuit race day. I wonder what happened the night before?

Also Richard genuinely seemed tired on the street circuit race day. I wonder what happened the night before?

He hit a wall in the Ferrari... were you not watching? That's stressy as FUCK. Who knows what Ferrari might say? "No more car for BBC!" Also, perhaps there was a bit of bathroom issues from Jeremy's supper

Most of it felt like "A" for effort, but "B" for execution (the "joie de vivre" just wasn't top), until I got to the very end.

The street circuit was filmed brilliantly (like in 18x01, they really focused down on the three guys trying to race), and the closing scene back in the studio, where they actually came to both a clinical AND an emotional decision. Hell, I really liked the SIARPC, too. News: okay, no specific car related news, but there was some good car-related editorializing (via stupid modern electronics, sport buttons, etc).

The more I think about it, the more I like it. 7.5/10. I'd give it more if only the road trip/car movie had a bit more about the cars themselves (yes, I know, but I can dream, can't I?) and less about Spain's economy and economy related woes.

- - - Updated - - -

your name is audi, you drive an audi, you have it in your avatar and you still have the need to comment on the fucking audi from the last decade?
Someone needs a hug.

Last edited:
The SIARPC was a main character in one of the year's biggest movies. You can't say you didn't recognize him because you're American. There are millions of Americans that would recognize him (but admittedly probably wouldn't know his name).

What a fantastic episode, though! The only thing I didn't like about it was Jeremy's wardrobe. The only reason I'm giving it 9.0 is that I would just rather they tell us the truth about the airport, houses, etc. I hope they don't start a "thing" where nearby youths will start breaking in, thinking the Top Gear team just strolled in.

-.5 for silly "all doors in Spain are unlocked"
-.5 for no memorable music.
=9/10.

10/10 score for me.. Best episode in a long while... Please keep this mojo going.. I love how you actually reviewed cars, and had non-scripted humor. Please keep all car test like, being opinionated, factual, and non scripted humor. Thanks...

Proper, proper episode after all the rubbish we've seen so far. 9/10, absolutely worth it.

The Audi really stole the show. I couldn't believe how it managed to keep up with the other two at a fraction of the price and how it survived completely unscathed where the other two disintegrated. It's also one of those cars for which photos don't do justice at all. You absolutely have to see it in real life to appreciate the obsessive attention to detail and that captivating aura that a lot of German cars have. There are no gimmicky shapes or flashy colors, it simply looks beautiful because of how every single thing was put exactly where it should be.