[20x05] July 28th, 2013

[20x05] July 28th, 2013

• Total voters
I didn't find the caravan bit that funny. There were a couple of giggles, but that's it. It seemed every bit as scripted as last week, but I laughed way more with the hovervan.

That was a good episode. I had no idea the caravan would stay connected and lift the car up if it rolled over. :lol:

9/10

Porsche - 10/10: What car enthusiast wouldn't give half their soul for a Singer 911? I just wish the segment was less about the current 911 and had even more about the Singer.
Lambo - 9/10: I was ready to skip over it because it was another review of the Aventador, but seeing a Sesto Elemento driving at Imola and then a ridiculous lap time was great. Lap time probably could have been better because I think the Elemento suffers from the same problem the CCX did, in that it doesn't produce enough downforce for high speed corners
News - 8/10: Better than the last couple of weeks, but nothing really there that made we laugh.
SIARPC - 5/10: Top Gear has a new car and yet we still haven't seen a legitimate car guy on yet, with the exception of Brian Johnson. Although I would love to drive a Venom GT or a Hellcat motorcycle.
Caravan - 10/10: This was so much better than the shenanigans from the past couple of weeks. I didn't know you could actually prop the back end of a car up in the air if you rolled the trailer. The ridiculous races between James and Jeremy like this are amazing, and while you can see that some of it is scripted, you can tell they are generally having a good time considering how hard they're laughing while doing this stuff.

Regarding differences between the caravan segment and other "TG Comedy" segments previously (like the hovervan), I think the main difference is that in the caravan segment everything was done on purpose and scripted to that effect so that even the viewer understands things are scripted to break and be funny, whereas in other segments they script accidents and pretend to be ignorant, making the whole thing seem very fake.

On the whole, I loved the caravan segment. More of this! 10/10

Last edited:
The caravan bits killed me. Caravans have been done and done again by TG, but they managed to find some piece of originality and go with it. Well done. Stig to the garbage.

The guest killed the momentum in the episode (because it was going great!) and then I didn't find the caravan stuff that brilliant ...

Last edited:
In the news, James comment to the Singer being like a greatest hits. Clarkson replies with "??? something greatest hits" Schwoddy?

Anyone, know what he said?
Showaddywaddy - basically what happens when record company excecs decide to create a rockabilly revival cover band at the drawing board.

Caravaning: I laughed throughout the whole segment. Although the gags were really dragged out, I still cracked up every time they threw something away or the caravans got more destroyed. Also, the Stig's attempts at a lap were impressive. I expected the things to keel over much sooner.
Caravans: It started a bit slow for me, but when the caraval lost the wheel on the test track, I lost it, too. From then on, I laughed my arse off. This was proper cocking about, a huge difference than last week's hovervan. It felt natural, it was funny, they themselves had good laughs. I know that technically it's just as stupid from beginning to end as a Hovervan, but still, the outcome is completely different.
Exactly this. The caravan film not only picked up the "mindless caravan destruction" theme from the single-digit series, but it also managed to get some of that old Top Gear spirit out of James and Jezza: Even if the whol thing was obviously largely scripted and some gags did not really work that well, the guys were visibly enjoying themselves, which made it much more fun to watch then the stupid hovervan film.

9/10. Much fun. The Singer was to die for; my spouse and I both drooled over it.

Nice to see James out on the track, too. Wish the Stig had taken that one around the track; probably the only thing that kept this from being a ten.

I felt like all three presenters were enjoying themselves a great deal. I mean, to be Hammond and get to drive Lambos all over Italy -- my God! What a life! And the caravan test was epic.