[20x06] August 4th, 2013

[20x06] August 4th, 2013

• Total voters
I stopped judging awhile ago.

I enjoyed this series, can careless what they do now.

This last series, maybe cause I was hungover the past six weeks reminded me of the early series back in '03/'04 where I could zone out in Top Gear for a hour and forget my hangover pain and enjoy an episode.

only James May can make a bus review entertaining. The final scene was amazing.

Last edited:
This episode was just OK for me... not bad but nothing memorable. I thought last week's was a lot better.

The last film was a bit of an eye roller. With that much of a patriotic angle I'd rather see the field limited to what's engineered there, not just built. Building someone else's stuff (i.e. Honda) doesn't really count.

We make a whole lot of other country's cars here in the US but our own offerings are still mostly junk ;)

Last edited:
SIARPC: I have a feeling Mark Webber would have been a more exciting guest if Jeremy had been more interested in interviewing him instead of rubbing in how great the Brits were (reinforcing the show's theme?). And as someone who doesn't follow Formula 1, I didn't understand who Mark's teammate was until the end when they started talking about Seb. I also noticed how Jeremy pointed out that Mark is Australian "but he chooses to live in Britain." (More show theme, no doubt.)

Relax,us Aussies and Poms get the banter between them.Jeremy did the same when Eric Bana and Hugh Jackman appeared.It's all in fun.

It was a pretty good episode. While Britain assembles a lot of those vehicles, the majority of their parts are made elsewhere. The Jag F-Type is pretty overpriced though, the V8 version costs $85k USD, that's way too much for the performance.

first half was kinda lame, the jag review was ok, and the last segment was interesting...even if some parts of the cars driving on the streets were staged (like w/ the F1 cars passing the same cars over and over) Though with that last segment I couldn't help but wonder how much of what was shown to be built in britain was still brirtish owned.

6/10.....
To say the RRS deserves the Sport Badge because it can outrun a hatchback is a bit poor (the Mini had 216hp the Range Rover 510hp by the sounds of it, although Richard carefully avoided mentioning that fact). Why not put it against a Cayenne Turbo S and see if it really is as good as Tata...sorry TopGear says.

Same goes for the F-Type: nice car (not the best looking ever though), but the review felt as boring as watching this cars commercial 3 times.....i bet most of the people that actually care about the segments where they are driving cars on public roads know all the facts, so why not come up with something else than just repeating them and show the car driven on the road where they filmed the Ferrari F12 segment? If you only go two times a year on air for six prerecorded shows, this is somehow not the way to go i feel. Why didn't they test it on the track?

I enjoyed the news, Marc Webber should go cycling constantly (Yeah you are the greatest, this is why you always come second in the same car when the conditions are REALLY the same.....) and the bus review wasn't very exciting as well...but you have to say, so are buses, and i think James did a decent job. The new London bus was worth mentioning on the show, albeit not that long.

Oh and for the last segment, i liked the idea, but not on that level....today no car that sells more than 2000 times a year is built by one nation alone, why shouldn't one highlight this fact and show britains vital contribution instead of lying for instance that the veyrons engine is produced in britain? They are just blowing smoke up their own arse, as they do.....people seem to be liking it. It's this fucked up nationalistic thinking thats killing Europe, and yes Britain as well although there is a bit of water around them. I absolutely don't mind making jokes about each other but if you do a mildly serious segment, please be sensible. Although did enjoy the formula one cars on closed public roads:cool:

Last edited:
A friendly 5/10 from me.

RR Sport was ok as long as Richard wasn't on the track with it. It didn't look sporty driving around the track and it barely managed to outrun a mini.

News were boring and bashing that guy's face really got a bit boring after about a minute.

Mark Webber was rather cool and he was quite fast. I wonder how much the new tarmac they added affects the laptimes of the rpcs and the power laps, they seem to be a lot quicker nowadays. (and lets not forget the new stig)

F-Type review was a bit borgin. It's not that good looking even in person and I'm not a fan of the interior (however it does sound fantastic). Also he probably won't buy one.

The rest was really boring, almost fell asleep. I really anticipated the collection of great cars in london and they just showed a few shots of them. Lots of last minute filming going on in this episode.

Also I'm surprised or maybe worried that Wilman says ep. 1 and 6 are the best this season because to me they are among the weakest in this season. Episodes 3 and 5 were much better.

?: Oh I totally forgot James' review of the NBFL. To be honest I was a bit disappointed with the review. He is my favourite presenter of the three but that was not a good James May review. No wonder I forgot it...

Last edited:
Lackluster ep up until the final segment, which was too cheesy.

5/10

I gave a 9.
I don't really like big 4wd stuff but the Range Rover review was well done (and even the track bit was a different track).

I enjoyed the news this week - looking back I often seem to like it when everyone else hates it and vice-versa. Weird.

Bus was ok, saved by James doing it, but could have been replaced with something else I think...

Jag review was good, mainly for sound/filming than the car itself though.

Final segment brought a lump to my throat. I'm not particularly patriotic (we seem to celebrate failure and hate success way too much in this country) but that ending was great.

9/10, really nice ending to the series. Hammond and Clarkson did good job w/ their segments (Hammond finally acting normal), however May let it down a bit. What was the point of that bus? I don't get it. Great job Mark! "the german" is probably crying in bed now :D Loved the final part but it became a bit ironic being followed by next program on BBC about german cars :D And I just don't get people that did not like last segment. Patriotism is all we have now, it doesn't has to be about whole country, even local, but it counts the most.

To local fanbois every episode is 'best evar and evar'

I thought it was really bland. Suv- dont care. Jag - barely there. Bus - ok. That dumb patriotic crap - turned it off after a few minutes.

5/10

That patriotic finale was pathetic. The rest of the episode wasn't much better. Kind of pointless, really.

Gee, I'm really looking forward to TG USA to coming back.

I agree. Not sure what the point was of the final film. Hey Britain makes things....cool.

And I think they should have kept the Ford Essex plant quite. That POS 1.6 engine made there has been the reason there have been NUMEROUS recalls for that engine here in "the colonies". Granted that may be due to the fact Ford is completely incompetent at everything they do, but still not something to crow about.

I think TG US should do the same sort of film. We would need a bit more space though.

Overall, this series was extremely disappointing. Not nearly as bad as the best TG US, but not up to TG UK standards.

As for national pride thing...reminders such as this one are very useful.

I guess we get one every 4th of July. But then, I don't need a reminder to help me have national pride. And neither should Britain. The country rocks and anyone that says that Britain doesn't build anything anymore is just ignorant.

Last edited:
Thought James' bus film was the best part :D. Felt genuine, yet silly at the same time. Very good!

Last film was kind of lost on me. Already knew about the F1's and naturally just assumed they made tractors and various parts to all the other cars. :blink:. As a result, it didn't really blow me away. Dunno why they cut to the studio in between either, should've just linked the Jag film into it, but that's just my opinion. Re-used some footage from 15x06 I notice :)

Range Rover film felt pretty mundane, don't really feel like watching it again.

Pretty good episode. Richard's part was interesting for once, even if the Mini-comparison was useless. Use a Cayenne or X5 and then we will talk about sportiness.

May's film was informative but he played stupid a bit too often. That is below his intellect and cringeworthy.

I already saw more than enough reviews of the Jag, so it wasn't too interesting, but nicely made.

The annual patriotic jerking at the and was beautifully produced as always, but especially as a German, a little too nationalistic and 'in your face'. I would like someone with access to data doing a factcheck on all numbers. One plant producing more than all of Italy? Sounds crazy, but if true, bad for Italy. Just for the number nerds: Motor vehicle production by country.

Last edited:
That is what I want from my Top Gear - the cocking about was done so much better by James on his own.

The Last 15 minutes was needed to remind us Brits that we can make stuff, just need foreign ownership and strategic direction, generally.

I gave it a Good 6 out of 10, best bits: The Range Rover Sport and Mark Webber. ;)

Range Rover Sport review: I am surprised on it's offroad abillity and on the same site beeing nearly as fast as an hot Mini Cooper, I really do like these
technical features, but I'm affraid, those people who have the money to buy it won't do either of these things with it, just getting into it, run over some
cyclists to get to the Dogbarbershop, to let their handbagdog's get washed.

News, I would get an stamp with a halftrack just outside Warszaw! :lol:

London Bus as private car: I don't see the point of it, I was veeeeryyy happy back in my youth when I got my license and a normal car, to not use the Bus ever again,
and that Bus looks, well... ehm well just awfull, really, I rather like those stinky old edgy sharp cornered loud Vanthool's who on first view, they look like a Volvo bus. (Maybe they are Volvo buses but I dunno...)

F1SIARPC, Mark Webber, sadly, he didn't beat Hamilton, but it was quite an entertaining interview, I remembered that crash at LeMan's, back then I was shoked how violent effects aerodynamics can have , great driver how ever and an sympatic one too. ;)

Jaguar F-Type, now here I'm dissapointed, I mean yeah it does look beautyfull, but I rather have the old XK back, If I would have the money to own one. or better, the old XK with the body of the F-Type (except the spare wheel and the tiny boot)

haha now I come to the part I want to write desperatly :wicked::wicked::wicked:

The Great Britain car assembling part: Yes you brits do assemble Cars quite well, (well now, not back in the 70's :p ), but here's the Point, who owns or had owned most British carmanifactures and lables?

Ze Germans!

Who saved them from death?

Again, ze Germans!

Who provide the technical supports and development?

z z zz ze ze Germans! :D

Who gets the most profite?

Die Germans

Who lost the war?

ZE GER..uh.. oh co#k! :shock::unsure::roll:

Ok let's forget about this, both our country's assembled good cars and developped amazing stuff, so I'm gonna thank Britain for bringing the Austin 7 at least, which was copied by BMW and got us our loved paddle/transmission layout. (Even though the Austin copied it from Cadillac, which doesnt matter)

But one last thing, if the Germans would put the greatest of today's carproduction together, we might need 5 miles of Autobahn to show it. ( :lol: )

In diesem sinne... :D

Last edited:
As a bus driver, I enjoyed the hell out of that one.
Side note to our friends in the UK; Were the houses shown in the RRS segment typical of that area?
'Cause I thought the cashed up bogans in my town had some fucking ugly houses............

The F-Type is a pretty car, but not in any imaginable way (one of) the most beautiful ever made. But of course, Jeremy being british...

I have to say, though, that I was a bit touched by the last bit of the show. Yes, it's patriotic, but it's also a tribute to great machinery - what's not to like about that?

haha now I come to the part I want to write desperatly :wicked::wicked::wicked:

The Great Britain car assembling part: Yes you brits do assemble Cars quite well, (well now, not back in the 70's :p ), but here's the Point, who owns or had owned most British carmanifactures and lables?

Ze Germans!

Who saved them from death?

Again, ze Germans!

Who provide the technical supports and development?

z z zz ze ze Germans! :D

Who gets the most profite?

Die Germans

Ok let's forget about this, both our country's assembled good cars and developped amazing stuff, so I'm gonna thank Britain for bringing the Austin 7 at least, which was copied by BMW and got us our loved paddle/transmission layout. (Even though the Austin copied it from Cadillac, which doesnt matter)

But one last thing, if the Germans would put the greatest of today's carproduction together, we might need 5 miles of Autobahn to show it. ( :lol: )

In diesem sinne... :D

Did you even watch the final segment? It was about the entire British automotive industry. Not merely Britain's ability to assemble car parts from Germany in the case of the Phantom or the Mini.

Geez, it's amazing how much flak Britain gets online from people around the world. Something I don't really get. Because if Britain is as lowly as people like you want to make out then why do you feel so insecure as to deride us at every opportunity?

Last edited:

Because it you want to make "cheesy" patriotism, you should have the anthem to finish it off.