[20x06] August 4th, 2013

[20x06] August 4th, 2013

• Total voters
Calm down guy, I am an comedian was making it up :lol:

On the Show:
RangeRover: Liked it a lot.
News: OK.
Bus: What the heck was that? Same as the other James bit this Season - useless, but he can do better!
Webber: Ok, rather liked it. I think he wasn't comfortable there and Clarkson has been rather unwilling to let the Seb topic go.
Jaguar Bit: Rather liked it, some TG as I would like it has been there.
Last bit: Realy thought of "wtf was that?". Not only did he forget that the F1 ECU's are also from McLaren (IIRC), he also forgot what AudiV6 has written...
But one last thing, if the Germans would put the greatest of today's carproduction together, we might need 5 miles of Autobahn to show it. ( :lol: )
Exactly my thoughts about the last segment. But i'd like to remember when Clarkson recognized the dependency to the germans back in the days (Series 2/E2).
Geez, it's amazing how much flak Britain gets online from people around the world. Something I don't really get. Because if Britain is as lowly as people like you want to make out then why do you feel so insecure as to deride us at every opportunity?
Realy? Read the post of AudiV6 again. What Clarkson is doing is like the big bullys are doing in school: copying your work and then saying "well, I got an A+ all by my self". Of course it is not that dramatic, but as a german, I just thought what is he on about? they are just taking german/japanese engineering and are bolting it together. BUT: even that would not be done properly without the help of "ze germans" because every major production facility in UK is been gouverned by a japanese/german improving the productivity (for example at Jaguar).

By the way: If we would show the same amount of "patriotism", everybody would call us Nazi's...

The annual patriotic jerking at the and was beautifully produced as always, but especially as a German, a little too nationalistic and 'in your face'. I would like someone with access to data doing a factcheck on all numbers. One plant producing more than all of Italy? Sounds crazy, but if true, bad for Italy. Just for the number nerds: Motor vehicle production by country.

Just for checking it: Italy had a production of around 671.000 cars in 2012. One of the biggest automobile plants (Wolfsburg) churns out 760.000 cars a year. So it could be correct but I am rather sceptical about that one...

It's a british entertainment show for gods sake.

Good episode. Reminds me why it would've made little sense to rate the previous episodes high, since this is what a 9 or 10 episode looks like.

Was easily one of the best top gear episodes ever for me. Good way to cap off a solid season. I hav no problem in saying I was wrong to suggest that the hosts should retire. Dont know what they have changed, but last couple seasons have been a gradual return to form. Maybe it was the producers who needed a proper shaking up. Altogether everyone pulled through.
If we want to criticize when they mess up, then we have to give praise when its due.:thumbup:

Solid episode to close a solid season. The "Britain, Britain ?ber alles" fan wank at the end dragged it down to an 8/10 for me.

6/10.....
To say the RRS deserves the Sport Badge because it can outrun a hatchback is a bit poor (the Mini had 216hp the Range Rover 510hp by the sounds of it, although Richard carefully avoided mentioning that fact). Why not put it against a Cayenne Turbo S and see if it really is as good as Tata...sorry TopGear says.

Its still a 2000kg++ boat. What do you really expect to outrun in such a thing?

1 point for webber, 0 for the rest. The ending ruined it. I hate patriotism, i hate it when the 'mericans do it, and i also hate it when anyone else does it.

Was this pissing contest realy necessary?

That's only because you can't do it in your cobbled-together nation!

That's only because you can't do it in your cobbled-together nation!

Are such statements really neccessary? What do you know about Adamar's nation? Why is yours 'better' than his? It's exactly that sort of claptrap which made the final segment so cringeworthy.

I liked the "britain fan wank" ... good piece ... I laughed very hard at top gear being exported everywhere but France :D

Don?t get the hate to be honest, only thing not so good about the segment was Clarkson going "to all those people who say we don?t build anything anymore in Britain" ... when he himself was prob one of the loudest voices yelling that for a couple of years ... like he was to most patriotic man in the world :clarkson: when he?s always been bashing britain the loudest ... acute case of selective dementia I recon ...

Rest of the episode was rather good too.

8/10

On the Show:
RangeRover: Liked it a lot.
News: OK.
Bus: What the heck was that? Same as the other James bit this Season - useless, but he can do better!
Webber: Ok, rather liked it. I think he wasn't comfortable there and Clarkson has been rather unwilling to let the Seb topic go.
Jaguar Bit: Rather liked it, some TG as I would like it has been there.
Last bit: Realy thought of "wtf was that?". Not only did he forget that the F1 ECU's are also from McLaren (IIRC), he also forgot what AudiV6 has written...

Exactly my thoughts about the last segment. But i'd like to remember when Clarkson recognized the dependency to the germans back in the days (Series 2/E2).

Realy? Read the post of AudiV6 again. What Clarkson is doing is like the big bullys are doing in school: copying your work and then saying "well, I got an A+ all by my self". Of course it is not that dramatic, but as a german, I just thought what is he on about? they are just taking german/japanese engineering and are bolting it together. BUT: even that would not be done properly without the help of "ze germans" because every major production facility in UK is been gouverned by a japanese/german improving the productivity (for example at Jaguar).

By the way: If we would show the same amount of "patriotism", everybody would call us Nazi's...

Just for checking it: Italy had a production of around 671.000 cars in 2012. One of the biggest automobile plants (Wolfsburg) churns out 760.000 cars a year. So it could be correct but I am rather sceptical about that one...

Don't forget American owned/engineered - after all, Ford is an American car company and many Fords are made in the UK.

I voted 10 because it was really fun to watch and I understand what they were trying to do, but I was totally underwhelmed by that Jaguar. If that thing had been American he would have absolutely trashed it. It was so obvious that he was nitpicking to try and find something good to say about it and downplaying its glaring flaws. And, "the most beautiful car ever made"? Seriously? Most of this year's Kias look better.

Well, starting by the "worst" part:
The Range Rover Sport clip, don't get me wrong, I like the RRS and I liked the clip except for the part where Richard insinuated the first generation was not good off road because it was based on the Discovery 3 and that now it would be good because it has the platform of the Range Rover.This made me a bit sad, for the "N?1 Motoring Show in the World" saying things as stupid as these are unbelievable.

And, Clarkson, we get it, the tailgate of the RR makes a bench for you to sit on but please, it has been like at least 3 times you mentioned it, let's move on.

News were funny, specially the stamps made me laugh out loud.:lol:

I liked the Bus part a lot, maybe it doesn't belong in Top Gear but where else would you see it a review of it as good as that one?(Could only be pulled off by May though)Maybe the Brits are tired of hearing about the "New Bus For London" but for me, as Portuguese, was something fresh and interesting to learn about.Plus, it had some clever design aspects which I'm a fan of.
The race track part was not necessary and ruined it a bit.

SIARPC was...well, thankfully as the interview advanced Webber lost a bit of it's initial smugness.It was good to see Webber being honest and saying he won't miss Vettel, usually you get lies as answers to such questions.

The Jaguar review...a mess of effects.Editing Guys, calm down.
I was expecting it to be as wonderfully filmed as the Ferrari F12 clip but was not as good, not even near, it was a bit of a let down to be honest since the hype the car has been getting.

To end it up, the "patriotic stuff" was great, as I said, I'm not British but I enjoyed it.When you have an industry producing and exporting such remarkable products you just have to be proud and show it.Yes, it was a bit biased but at least people got a bit more culture about the UK.
The only flaw was the place to display the gathering(maybe that road has some special meaning, I don't know, sorry for the ignorance), it would be much better on some sort of airstrip or something equally large.

8/10, I liked it and it was definitely the show to end the series.

Last edited:
I liked the Jag and the RR review, other than that "meh".

Actually no. I turned it off mid way through the last segment. I despise blind patriotism. I dislike it when my own countrymen do it (and in the industry I am in I am subjected to a lot of it) and I dislike seeing it from others.

Are such statements really neccessary? What do you know about Adamar's nation? Why is yours 'better' than his? It's exactly that sort of claptrap which made the final segment so cringeworthy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke

Lighten up.

(Also, I do know a lot about Belgium, thank you very much. Hence the specific remark that I doubt you understood)

I think there are too many of you being a tad too touchy about the "Made in England" segment... It's a fuckin' show for crying out loud.

Best episode they have done in years. 10/10

The reviews were both excellent. I was surprised (and delighted) that they kept the Jag off the Top Gear Track. Even Richard's Range Rover review was really good, and I have not been a fan of his recent efforts at all. In both, they seemed to be enjoying what they were doing, rather than mailing in their performance; as has happened, all too frequently, in recent series.

James, in the bus, was entertaining and informative. He managed to keep my attention for the whole segment. I loved the subtle humour of the repeated distance shots of the cars being held up by bus on the country roads ... gave me a few giggles.

The poms may have beaten us at cricket (with considerable assistance from our very own DRS technology), but we managed to have 2 out of 6 episodes this series with Australian guests ... we're still in the game!

Loved the last segment. A nice counterpoint to the one they did a few years ago with the British Sports Car challenge. Made me want to go out and take the Jag for a spin.

It was a pretty good episode. While Britain assembles a lot of those vehicles, the majority of their parts are made elsewhere. The Jag F-Type is pretty overpriced though, the V8 version costs $85k USD, that's way too much for the performance.
$85k is for the V6S. The V8S runs from $95k to $110k in the US and that isn't including dealer markup of 5 to 10 grand in most markets.