[20x06] August 4th, 2013

[20x06] August 4th, 2013

• Total voters
6/10

The RRS was quite interesting, the jag review was nice, the bus bit was so-so and the end had me in stitches - a mountain-out-of-molehill jingoistic circle-jerk if I've ever seen one. :lmao:

I went 9/10. I didn't like everything, but I still think those parts were done well. I liked the news, loved James on the bus, liked the star bit and the last bit but there was something in that that I can not put my finger on, but I know it was missing.

I like they are patriotic. I think a spot on the new London bus was an appropriate topic for top gear and James did an outstanding job of it. And judgeing by his tweets after the show, he really did enjoy it. I think it showed in the piece.

I hope to see Eric Pickles on the show next season. I liked when Ladyman was on years ago. (I don't think I will ever look at my thumb again without thinking of Eric Pickles)

I just realized they were in red, white and blue cars at the end, I know, I can be slow sometimes.

8/10

I liked the ending segment.
Even though I'm American, I really appreciate British achievements and the beautiful country.

The problem with the episode is that, as a theme, more could have (and SHOULD have!) been devoted to British achievements in the motor industry.
Why was it not?? :(

Brilliant combination of old school framework with new school (re: modern) presentation.

Range Rover Sport. Bloated (re: long), but informative, and fun.

News. Only one actual new car to discuss, but it felt like it belonged in series 5 (re: great). The car stamps bit was good, too.

London Bus. The weakest bit. Although it appears Richard has been allowed to shake the canned persona (re: idiot), the producers are apparently really leaning on James to keep up the tat. I don't mind the idea of a bus film, but let James be James and it would have been at least one order of magnitude better.

SIARPC: Loved Webber. Loved the interview going AROUND Seb for a while and then zeroing right in on it. Loved the lap time. Good fun.

F-Type. Near perfect Top Gear. Somehow, Jezza managed to both keep it simple enough for the non-car types to follow along, AND informative enough for us petrolheads to really get into it. He even discussed practicality. And I love how they re-invented series 8's XK film in Yorkshire Dales, complete with Jezza's final comments. Amaze-balls.

The British film: okay, a bit jingoistic, but it makes for a nice last fluff piece, and it was just great to see all that lovely metal. Black Zergmobile.

9/10, and an extra 0.5 for NOT having a Stig lap (I love these, but we don't need them EVERY episode, like clockwork).

Series 20 as a whole. Episodes 2, 3, 5, 6 were all on the green side of the meter. 1 and 4 were in the red (with 1 pegged all the way to "utter claptrap").

I want series 21, and I don't want to wait for it. The more time they have to think, the more they try to over-do stuff and cock it up. Just get on with it, lads!

Last edited:
This show and this series as well, nothing happened that I would want to watch again. Maybe I am expecting to much out of the show, but it is the shows own fault for raising the standards as high as they have and now they have to live with that. 6 shows and can anyone actually remember anything they would want to watch over. I am not saying it was bad, just not memorable! That is what I have come to expect and series 20 just did not produce that. I wonder if anyone will even be anticipating the Christmas show, if it even happens? I apologize for the rambling but I just wonder if the best of Clarkson, May, and Hammond are in their rear view mirrors?

Garbage. The episode was pretty meh-worthy throughout.. then the propaganda film at the end just pissed me off. I thought there was going to be more of a point to the film rather than "HURRR WE'RE BRITISH AND WE MAKE A BUNCH OF CAR PARTS", The End. BBC must've been commissioned by the government to make the most cheesy patriotic drivel possible.

Lame.

If eric Pickles married Honey Boo Boos mum would they be known as Mr & Mrs Thumb ? :lol:

I do not know who Honey Boo Boo's mom is, but I am assuming she looks like Eric Pickles?

6/10

A bit meh episode to end this season, but last part saved it abit.

It is kinda funny that couple seasons ago Jeremy said that Britain doesnt make anything anymore(cheap brit sportscar challenge)...

Funny how non Brits keep carping on about 'supposed' jingoism....when quite clearly the concept of 'tongue in cheek' seems to elude them.
Then again if you're German the idea of humour is an elusive concept too...!!!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Garbage. The episode was pretty meh-worthy throughout.. then the propaganda film at the end just pissed me off. I thought there was going to be more of a point to the film rather than "HURRR WE'RE BRITISH AND WE MAKE A BUNCH OF CAR PARTS", The End. BBC must've been commissioned by the government to make the most cheesy patriotic drivel possible.

Lame.

Oh dear,some hyper-patriot seems a wee bit rattled ?!

I will remember this series for Episode 3, which is one of my favorite episodes of all time (I've seen all TG episodes, starting from Series 3).
A drive through abandoned Spain in three of my favorite cars, with great banter and much less scripting than usual.
Hammond could be quite funny in this series, as well!

Otherwise, it was another 7/10 series.

when quite clearly the concept of 'tongue in cheek' seems to elude them.
Yeah... no. They like to milk the "GREAT Britain" cow, which is only fair, but sometimes they overdo it. This was one example.

Then again if you're German the idea of humour is an elusive concept too...!!!
Is that why I loved the Top Gear vs D-Motor episode?

Disappointed :/ The best parts were the car reviews - they were vintage Top Gear, real reviews. It's a shame they're both so uninteresting cars and brands (to me) - I have to say, though, the way that car goes off-road is quite impressive!

The London bus road test - just...why? Somerset (I think that's where it was) looked gorgeous, though.

I wanted to the see the Buckingham Palace / Mall bit ever since it was hyped about in the newspapers, but it ended up being quite an anticlimax in my opinion. I just expected it to be...more.

Is anyone else annoyed at Jeremy's way of doing the "jokey" intro every time these days? It's always the "TONIGHT! I point at things". It's become tiresome.

Solid work by all of them. I wish James' bus review would have been a bit longer, the news a bit shorter.
The British Pride at the end was impressive, especially, as mentioned many times here before, the F1 cars on the roads. I like that they kept this segment tight, short, because you can see all the extra footage on youtube.
France doesn't watch Top Gear :lol:
That Jag....:bow:
I enjoyed the theme. I enjoyed the last six weeks. Too bad it's over for a bit, back to re-runs it is.
9/10

I don't know, halfway through the episode I realized that it was the last one of this series and they didn't give us any specials of any kind, which is the thing I'm looking forward most to at Top Gear.

Anyways, the end film really made the episode lots of time better than it was. Can't say anything. Great cars, Great direction, great themes used throughout. Still, it doesn't feel like a season end.

9/10

Lame.

Thank you for your well thought out and intelligent input. What would have made the show work for you? "Can you outrace a redneck?" "Pink Slips"?

I'll be honest. I'd love to have my own bus.

But I wouldn't pick a Boris Bus I think. I don't think that road test of the New Bus For London that particularly special, even though that bus is built a bit up the road from me.

Didn't really care for much else except for the British bit at the end. Really it should have been an entire episode. I almost cried and I can't remember the last time TG did that to me. Season 20 started out bad but got progressively better with a few troughs on the way up. Ended on a happy note.

Funny that the Americans here can't stand some British patriotism. Do you guys ever watch your own tv shows? There's even a US flag on the moon, for god's sake.

I gave it a nine. The bus segment was on the slow side and SIARPC felt very... stiff, for a lack of a better word. I also learned that dear god, I love the F-Type and it's wonderful soundtrack! The ending might have been a bit cheesy but it looked damn impressive.