[21x01] February 2nd, 2014

[21x01] February 2nd, 2014

• Total voters
I'm happy they're back and still having fun. Sadly there was no car review, but the slight insights to the cars in the news was nice and I'm hoping for good reviews coming up. The cheap cars was fun to watch, even if it was rather predictable. The boys haven't lost their touch, but this episode was clearly aimed at a younger mainstream audience so I'm hoping for some "informative" future episodes in this series. What was up with Hammond's face/makeup around the eyes in the studio? Also, I was expecting the wrapping on the cars to catch fire, but it didn't, so that a bonus point just for that. There must be a lot of extra footage from this ep though.
Gave it a 7 because it's an episode I'd watch again (and again...) for entertainment and it was a great start to the 21st series.

After reading some of the comments here, I was expecting the worst. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. Yes, a tad overly scripted, but some good chuckles for me. If this turns out to be their "overly scripted cocking about for the masses" episode (such as the Train segment or the Sweeney film) for the series, it would be an improvement over some of the previous series in that regard.

This one snuck through under my 'silly over-scripted TG episode' radar - with my defences down, I kind of enjoyed it. Explosions, roll-overs, squashed groceries and missing keys aside, I suspect a couple of misfortunes were unscripted. Apparently this episode is a bit of slapstick before the real shows begin next week. I can suffer a little bit of introductory nonsense - it's just great to have them back.

It's not the best episode they've done and I can't imagine this one going down as a classic but it was entertaining enough I think and it will be interesting to see what the rest of the series brings.

"I've got an erection"

The only funny bit in that cop chase bit

Was that a real supermarket they drove around in ?
Who would be mad enough to allow them to do that ?

Great ep. Moustache jokes and Hammond in the tank was great. So happy TG is back!

I was expecting a bit of mediocrity after reading the comments... yet, I was thoroughly surprised.

I laughed quite a few times, and most of the episode was quite entertaining (especially them messing about 80's style). The SIRPC was a tad dull, but that segment is usually always the low-point of any episode.

I'd give it an 8.... but that line in the tank raises it to a 9/10. :D

They lost me several times. It didnt even bother with the siarpc, since I dont even remotely know the guy. Not their fault, but still. I also would?ve liked a review - and not just talking about how nice the P1 is. We know that already. The hatchback film in itself was way too scripted, I think they undermatched themselves again. I mean ... James in a bomb crater with a steering wheel? Seriously? Not everybody watching is 8 years old. Also, the amount of money they probably put into this nonsense isn?t available for worthwhile stuff anymore. For me, it?s way below average and not even close to what I expect from a first episode.

I too was expecting a terrible end to the episode based on these comments. It was fun to watch! To the 1000+ guests viewing this page earlier, reviews such as "terrible, just awful" are terrible, just awful.
Quasibinaer, I had no idea who the guest was either, but I discovered two shows that I never would have heard of (2012, and the BBC-mocking show). I will be checking them both out.

Last edited:
I didn't mind the last segment, really. It's just that it kinda lost the plot.
I think their script got a hasty re-write when Hammond's Nova got its final breakdown and they realized they didn't make provision for a forfeit car -- say, a Rover city car or Hyundai Accent -- for Hammond to finish up with.
And so the final challenged morphed from "prove that old hot hatches are great" to "what can the police use to stop a car?" sort of deal. A bit clumsy -- okay, it was actually very clumsy in the execution, but it was still fun.

It started out quite well, but finished poorly. I'll give it a 6/10 and i'm being generous because it's the first episode and we really wanted some TG. But we know they can do better, and we expect better than this. And less scripted explosions, guys, come on, that was moronic. And please, put some SIRPC who's know outside Greater London, no f****** idea who that guy was.

Last edited:
I always avoid reading any posts before watching the episodes to keep an open mind. After watching this one, I think TopGear has set out to make the India special look great by comparison. I was excited to see the trio of new hot hatches in the beginning, even though it feels like we've seen them all not too long ago, but it turned into another cheap car challenge with planned calamities and intentional accidents. Which wouldn't have been bad, if they bothered to do any tests that showed old hot hatches were actually better than the new crop, but they seemed to forget about that part. In the end it was just more of TopGear doing the only thing they're good at anymore and ruining things in the fakest way possible.

2/10

Last edited:
I will say, when Hammond said "I have an erection" while driving the tank, I laughed out loud. Given the same situation, I probably would have had one too...

One thing no one has mentioned, yet, is how the news was actually "news" to some degree. I saw the phallic F1 nose jokes coming from last week, but I liked how they actually talked about the automotive world a bit. More of that!

Silly episode, I get what they were trying to do, but I wish they would have done it more like the small British roadster challenge and ultimately made it an homage to the lightweight, no-frills hatches of yesteryear. Looking forward to next week, though. Any idea if they test the new Corvette in this series?

One thing no one has mentioned, yet, is how the news was actually "news" to some degree. I saw the phallic F1 nose jokes coming from last week, but I liked how they actually talked about the automotive world a bit. More of that!
That part was okay, but it felt a bit short. Seems like a lot of interesting stuff to talk about lately, but either they cut the news down, or they want to spread it out over the series. I hope the latter.

Silly episode, I get what they were trying to do, but I wish they would have done it more like the small British roadster challenge and ultimately made it an homage to the lightweight, no-frills hatches of yesteryear.
Definitely agree with you there. That was probably the last decent cheap car challenge that I can remember.

Looking forward to next week, though. Any idea if they test the new Corvette in this series?
Doesn't look like it. The preview showed some mid engine supercars, some concept cars, and a few super minis. I think the formula for car reviews is that it either has to be outrageously expensive or cheap enough to destroy in filming.

A below-average episode for me, raised to average thanks to the 80's soundtrack. As such, it get's a "C" average grade of 7.

As I was a teenager in the 80's and did some of those games, I had a good laugh watching the boys reminisce. Other moments also gave me a good laugh, which is why I watch these guys.

And I have a mustache, in case anyone has any questions.

As people may know by now, I don't read the previews or spoiler threads, so I have no idea going in. I've found this increases my enjoyment of new episodes.

Now, a brief summary of my emotions/thoughts as this episode progressed.

"Wow, a cheap car challenge of hot hatchbacks! GREAT!"
"Uhh.... why are two of those cars utter shit?!"
"Hill climb not bad."
"Ok, Hammond rolled the car, but I guess they're going for that '80s' theme.... whatever"
"Speaking of the 80s, I like the soundtrack."
"The news... am I crazy or did they figure out how to wrap the new-school stupid jokes around old-school petrolhead information dispensation? Colour me impressed."
"Juvenile 'don't do this at home kids' tricks with the cars I actually enjoyed. It really did remind me of some things that I may have participated in during my teenage years.... and it looks like the boys are genuinely enjoying this part too."
"Vinyl wrapping could have actually been cool, but they've gone straight back to servicing the slobbering idiots who keep praising the show in its current format"
"Supermarket challenge... now we're getting utterly predictable"
"SIARPC: ok, actually."
"Cop car challenge..... you've officially jumped the shark."

This episode had a LOT of potential. They tried some new tricks inside of a tested format, but they either a) kept devolving to cater the lowest common denominator, or b) just mailed it in. The only parts I felt like the guys were glad to be there were during the news and the "don't do this at home, kids" part of the big film.

Not a good start, lads. 4/10, because the potential was there, but the execution and enthusiasm was shite.

Last edited:
Definitely some scripted moments, but I enjoyed it. The part in the middle segment of them reminiscing was classic Top Gear, even if planned. Also loved James' take on the police chase. Solid 8.

Its all scripted and it always has been...

As I was a teenager in the 80's and did some of those games, I had a good laugh watching the boys reminisce. Other moments also gave me a good laugh, which is why I watch these guys.

And I have a mustache, in case anyone has any questions.

How on earth do you get any work done!

Anyways 8/10

I loved the Golf GT, it was pretty until Jezza ruined it so im sad for that.

James was James in the chase so i like that.

Hammond "i have an erection" was his best line ever

The F1 jokes were great and so was the rest of the news.

The don't try this at home part was epically funny!

Overall, i enjoyed it, i laughed alot. I must say the season preview didn't do for me what the past ones have but im sure it will be fine. im looking forward to the rest of the season.

Last edited: