[21x01] February 2nd, 2014

[21x01] February 2nd, 2014

• Total voters
I think my expectations were set right by reading this thread before watching and reading the episode description from the pre-talk. So I'm not really disappointed.

First half was good and second was the kind of stuff that I could not watch without skipping. I'm not sure if this tactic of doing purely more car friendly episodes and more sitcom like stuff episodes is the right way to go. Something they have been doing for past couple of years. Compared to doing more of a balancing act. Jeremy said on twitter that next one should be more car orientated, something that seems to be indeed the case reading the description of the next episode.

It also does irritate me a bit that they can't simply do those old Porsche challenge type of things again. Example the base idea for the segment was good, but I wish they would have taken it more down to earth. Example that hazard light switch upside down trick was just amazing. Reminded me of old car challenge segments. Also have to say that music was even more fitting and great than usual on this episode.

I'll give it a solid 6. I'am graving more Top Gear than I have on the past couple of years for some reason.

Last edited:
Never mind TGUS, /Drive is actually the new Top Gear!

Not for me mate, specially Chris Harris. Sure the man is passionate, factual and a bloody good driver but (for me, at least) Mindblowingly BORING, I tried watching many of the CH videos posted regularly on the awesome thread, but I can't shake the image of a terribly nerdy and awkward substitute teacher trying to be cool, and failing.

It's a good car channel, but no matter how good it is, /Drive would never replace TG for me...

So this woman is back
jTco9J5.jpg

Any idea who she is? I've seen her in like half of all Top Gear episodes.

I looked but I didn't see her. :-(

Next to Geoff in the link to the SIARPC. You can only see me in the wide shots, and it depends where Jeremy is standing as he was sometimes between me and the camera (how dare he???? :shakefist: )

I think im done with calling myself a top gear fan.

I've recently listened to a talk about reasons what does a none-car guy see in watching Top Gear. "oh its about passion of these guys about things they really really love!" Nah dude, not anymore. They are (getting) old and driving an exotic is something completly common for them. Compare Hammond in Zonda Roadster and childlike state to newer stuff. They still have some enthusiasm in them, like Hammonds love for offroad/rally which was seen in the Christmas DVD. I would love to see the guy in a reality TV show of him driving the amateur GB rally championship, but thats not gonna happen, becuse mainstream wouldn't eat it up. Thank god for Chris Harris who will actualy do that on /DRIVE.

As for character, comedy etc, last years Roadkill is a painfull reminder how good TG was in the past. When you have to rely so heavily on scripted comedy for laughs, chemistry is dead.

Never mind TGUS, /Drive is actually the new Top Gear!

I liked DRIVE at first, but that thing was played out quite fast for me. Leo Parente and that fat guy are decent. Though the real reason I subbed them was Chris Harris, but after 3-4 months of watching he became a bit of a one trick pony with constant tire smoking. I don't really get the short "reviews" either they have started doing. Seem more like a ad than anything else. So not subbed to them anymore.

The hatchback segment definitely overstaid its welcome. I'd trade the third part for a nice car review

Last edited:
It was fairly good... good start to the season :)

- - - Updated - - -

They should move the program from BBC2 to the children's channel where it belongs.

You say that because you are Tiff Needell :D

An ok premise stretched to a full episode by rehashing old gags. Sorry, not that's for me. 5/10.

Started good but went down the typical overly scripted avenue of predictability. Why can't they just let things happen and not force it so much? The 80's hooligan parts were funny, but now we have a case where Top Gear US did it first.

I'm more interested in the reviews this series, starting with the P1 next week.

I feel sorry for a lot of the people here. Miserable sods who have trouble enjoying things.

I enjoy a lot of things but being treated like a moron by what was one of the best shows on TV isn't one of them. They've lost the surprise and delight.

Golf looked good, but it was ruined.
Super market was bs.
Whole episode was bs.

This wasn't Top Gear, this was crap.