[21x02] February 9th, 2014

[21x02] February 9th, 2014

• Total voters
Felt like a classic episode! Compared to recent episodes, this deserves a 9.

They even had car news.

Did I insert the wrong video tape? (Checking...) Nope, this really was season 21.

Last edited:
Top Gear... all the "Hail Britain!", "silly Americans" and "brilliant British engineering" stuff.... Please, just stop.

You don't live in the greatest country in the world, your countrymen didn't reinvent the wheel, and you don't live in the only country with intelligent people making clever, new designs (and America isn't entirely populated with stupid, fat, ignorant yokels.)

I LOVE Top Gear. Always have, always will. I also love, and respect, great Britain. But the British cheese has been laid on real thick this week...

So stop watching, you won't be missed. It's a British show, Top Gear and the audience have every right to celebrate the domestic manufacturing of the greatest car in the world.

I personally get sick of hearing the endless bleating about Italian cars and overrated soullessGerman cars by other media, and even worse how americans constantly compare everything else to their cheap plastic junk. The bare fact is that the P1 is the greatest car ever built and it should be celebrated as an accomplishment of British engineering supremacy just as the Veyron was celebrated as the culmination of German engineering.

Reactions: Oso
Not a single weak spot in it, for the first time in years.

Of course the "race" was secondary to the shots in the piece. The whole point is to show off the car and let Jeremy have some fun on the water.

The military piece was a great tribute to the Brits who have served in that horrible war.

The P1...I would mortgage everything in my life for that car.

The guest...well, it was kept short and he was halfway interesting.

And to differ with something above...I can not begrudge Clarkson and company extolling the virtues of British engineering. Lord knows there was a time when nothing went right in British manufacturing. It's wonderful to see products, for both civilian as well as military use, that can be pointed to with pride.

Overall, since there's no 9.5 on the scale, make it a 10/10. I don't know what more you could ask for a regular episode. My first 10/10 ever and certainly a relief after last week's became...well...boring. It was like 21X1 was the last show of the previous series and everyone was tired. 21X2 was shot with everyone fresh, rested, and ready to put out a memorable product.

As was well said above....THIS is why I watch Top Gear.

Last edited:
But the British cheese has been laid on real thick this week...

How's that different from any other week? It's rare when they don't. While they can push it too far, it's part of their schtick. If you think this ep was bad, go re-watch series 4-9.

Last edited:
Pretty solid episode really, the Alfa review was cut short for a race but that was okay since I enjoyed the race admittedly I drifted for a moment during the James May bit but it was interesting and enjoyable enough and the P1 review was pretty good as well.
Some thoughts on the cars, the 4c is growing on me as a car even though there was a period where I saw some negative reviews and wasn't huge on the looks but now I look at it and it's quite a pretty car which sounds quite nice even though it hasn't got a boot but then P1 I'm still not sure about in the looks department, It looks pretty good at some angles but it's quite ugly at others.
They are right about the corvette though, that's a car that only works in the united states, I remember once I was in the passengers seat as a corvette drove up behind us in the next lane (this was in New Zealand) and in idle it was like some one was doing some jackhammering beside us it's an insanely vulgar car.

Last edited:
definitely a better ep than last week....the alfa race was interesting though the end of it was lame w/ jeremy letting the alfa win, and the mclaren was cool too

Top Gear... all the "Hail Britain!", "silly Americans" and "brilliant British engineering" stuff.... Please, just stop.

You don't live in the greatest country in the world, your countrymen didn't reinvent the wheel, and you don't live in the only country with intelligent people making clever, new designs (and America isn't entirely populated with stupid, fat, ignorant yokels.)

I LOVE Top Gear. Always have, always will. I also love, and respect, great Britain. But the British cheese has been laid on real thick this week...

I believe they've made a version of Top Gear for you it's called Top Gear USA... Perhaps you could just fuck off and watch that instead since the British version irritates you so much?

Loved it. Gorgeous Alfa and stunning McLaren. Great piece from James as well. Classically good TG.

Have you ever watched US TV or movies? Just saying. You can't get much more patriotic shit thrown at your face than that. If seeing some flag waving from some other country is really that hard, you can always just move on.

Anyways, this was thankfully great episode once again. Something I was not expecting was that I liked that military segment a lot. I'm sure British and Americans have seen plenty of that stuff, but that was very interesting segment that I usually haven't cared about on Top Gear. Alfa segment in a other hand surprisingly weakest part of this episode to me. Really a shame because this would have been more than great episode, if that part had been done right.

I thought Top Gear has had some great quests for past 3-4 years. Some known by me, some not, but most importantly interesting. This seasons quests so far have not been. Far from it actually.

Solid 8/10

So stop watching, you won't be missed. It's a British show, Top Gear and the audience have every right to celebrate the domestic manufacturing of the greatest car in the world.

I personally get sick of hearing the endless bleating about Italian cars and overrated soullessGerman cars by other media, and even worse how americans constantly compare everything else to their cheap plastic junk. The bare fact is that the P1 is the greatest car ever built and it should be celebrated as an accomplishment of British engineering supremacy just as the Veyron was celebrated as the culmination of German engineering.

Ok. :D
When you put out blanket statements like that, you have already lost the argument and the credibility.

Last edited:
Amazing episode. This one was of the best in TG history, I think. The only thing I wanted more of was screen time for the Alfa. I don't get tired of looking at that. They could have spent 20 minutes showing footage of that driving around the lake and I would have been happy. The McLaren segment was also very well done; who else caught the massive jet of blue flame coming out the exhaust? Good guest and entertaining news.

9/10, though I was very tempted to give 10/10.

They are right about the corvette though, that's a car that only works in the united states, I remember once I was in the passengers seat as a corvette drove up behind us in the next lane (this was in New Zealand) and in idle it was like some one was doing some jackhammering beside us it's an insanely vulgar car.

As opposed to subtle and understated cars like:

xkrs_gt.jpg

sls_black.jpg

2015-ferrari-laferrari-005.jpg

porsche-gt3-rs1.jpg

lfa_nurg.jpg

2010-Holden-HSV-GTS-E2-2.jpg

:p

9/10 for me. Can never argue with the beauty of Lake Como. Love the styling of the 4C; too bad the engine sucks by most reports.

Mad props to JC for doing his own jetski stunts?

P1 is gorgeous...but lacks soul to me. Give me a LFA or something.

Just go away, please. Nobody will notice, trust me.

Felt like a classic episode! Compared to recent episodes, this deserves a 9.

They even had car news.

Did I insert the wrong film reel? (Checking...) Nope, this really was season 21.

May as well have said that, lol

Anyways, my review.

A solid Negative 8 out of 10. What the fuck, its scripted! ill never watch again, what bullshit! There is no way Jeremy was just there by chance, just scripted crap! remember when it wasn't scripted?

Ok, im kidding. 9.8/10. I only gave it a 9.8 for a simple reason, i just expected something different from the P1 film. I dont know. Im not saying it wasnt great but im saying i was a bit disappointed with with the script or the presentation and i just dont know why. i think it deserved more. Its a sexy car and that rear wing, well, to quote the 14th century philosopher Clarksonious "im nursing a semi". On a side note, i just watched Schmee150 say almost all the same points about this car, they must be selling points facts or something.

the first segment was fun, as i type this i Richard just said "hes going to do his stupid smug face" and then made the face so that was funny. really though, what are the chances of jezza being there at the same time richard was there!?! (that was a bad attempt at a joke)

James was awesome and so was that film.

I really enjoyed this episode.
Not much scripted fail, the Quadski vs C4 race had great scenery, James May's part was interesting and showed respect to the soldiers and the P1 piece was really good.

The thing that brought this episode back a bit was the SIARPC, he was just unlikable.

So far this season has been the best in years.

Why do people hate on SIARPC so much? Sure, some of the guests aren't known outside of Europe, but most of them have interesting stories. I have not seen one yet that I would call a bad guest. Even when there's controversy like with John Prescott, it's entertaining. If you don't like the interview segment, don't watch it. Watching it when you don't like it and then complaining about it is stupid.

Let's give it an 8, solid episode, much better than the disaster that was last week's. Nice 4C / Quadski race, excellent P1 in Belgium, boring SIARPC and James's segment was not that bad but not as good as it could've been....