[21x02] February 9th, 2014

[21x02] February 9th, 2014

• Total voters
I made a couple gifs of my favourite faces on tonight's show...

Mh8JFlk.gif

h5kjWwU.gif

The Alfa bit was cool, well its a bit lame for letting it win, i really want one of those Quadski too!
News is good
May's war tribute is great although if you think about it the bits doesn't really fit in a motoring show, sort of a war documentary that Jezza would narrates. Also it makes me sad to see that we humans (at least) need those stupid war so that the technology advances rapidly...
SIARPC is okay, at least i enjoyed it rather than those on the few ep back...
And yeah, that P1 is just wicked! I dont like the looks of the back end though, they should cover that gaping hole like those on Zonda...

A good 8.5 (so i rounded up to 9 just because its one of the best ep in recent years :lol:)

A very, very good episode. Not a bit that was cringe inducing. I loved the 4C segment, SIARPC was cool (but I'm one of the exceptions who usually doesn't mind SIARPC it seems) and that McLaren... Dat McLaren!
The news was a bit meh, but everything else was top notch.
I doubted longtime between an 8 or 9. I'd give it an 8, because there's always room for improvement. But on its own merit, it's closer to a 9.
So, let's be constructive and give it a 9.

Top Gear... all the "Hail Britain!", "silly Americans" and "brilliant British engineering" stuff.... Please, just stop.

You don't live in the greatest country in the world, your countrymen didn't reinvent the wheel, and you don't live in the only country with intelligent people making clever, new designs (and America isn't entirely populated with stupid, fat, ignorant yokels.)

I LOVE Top Gear. Always have, always will. I also love, and respect, great Britain. But the British cheese has been laid on real thick this week...

"Murica" ey?

Given that I have to listen to all the American crap about built in America. Murica!??? all the time a bit of British Engineering worship is fine. Granted I'm not convinced about reliability of some English Marques but given the amount of crap I've heard from Americans on stuff...

Lets not forget America Nationalism worship is in Movies/TV Shows/Music constantly and quite frankly its old. There's always some flag waving around in American shows or some Soldier worship or some built in America means its good stuff, so lets name a few programs that do this. American Chopper did it alot... constantly. It's always some sort of homage to some American this that and the other, then there's Overhaulin' which has gotten worse on this they seem to pick out preachers/soldiers/celebs and sometimes the odd guy who deserves it and theres always a "Made in Murica?" Murica? is best. Fact is you're watching a British TV program about a British Car made by a British Company Mclaren which is a British Formula 1 team with huge amounts of success and given that the last time they made something that mental was the Mclaren F1 its kind of a big deal. F1 motorsport is seen as the pinnacle of engineering design and the P1 is a culmination of the engineering know how which has been distilled to produce something absolutely mind blowing, you have to forgive me for asking what do you expect? A little "Britain is great" is nothing compared to its negatives and its not like they don't moan about whats wrong every week.

Just because the only other countries that could produce something as Brilliant are Germany, Italy and Japan. (Thinking GTR / LFA) only because the GTR achieves a lot for its price/weight. I mean you might point out the ACR Viper but thats not quite a road vehicle of the same standard.

They showed 'Muricas' supercar on the show's news section - The Corvette something or other which frankly I think looks absurd. I know for a Fact that GM has one of the biggest wind tunnels in the world and has lots of material on how to do suspension etc etc but it's pure Murica? ostentatious brutish and brash. What works in Europe is not the same as what works in America and it has to look gordy gopping and chromed up to the hilt with built in Murica? to appeal to most rednecks.

Top Gear is about the only program I've seen thats done a bit of British Engineering Worship. I will mention one other fact.. not all the Engineers are British so banging on about nationalities of cars is truly pointless and a tad nationalistic (which I also think is pointless). It's an Amazing car and for it to come out of Britain which has lost a lot of its car manufacturers and be one of the fastest things around is quite an achievement.

So why are you complaining? Top Gear USA is pretty damn good IMO, though Tanner seems to be sponsored by Ford and all Adam waffles on about is how good American stuff is they do exactly the same thing as the British presenters. They're all going to be biased all the time.

Great episode. Loved the comparison between the rainbow warrior and the P1.

A solid 8, partly because history tells me they can do even better and partly because anything was going to be an improvement after last week's drivel.

It made me think. When Wilman talked in the Radio Times about wanting to appeal to our inner 9 year old this is how it should be done. I was grinning like a kid on Christmas morning when it wrapped.

What I don't want is TG like last week which appears to have been made by 9 year olds. If they could get that into their heads we would all be a lot happier.

A very enjoyable episode, best parts being the reports of the Alfa and the McLaren. Especially the McLaren bit reminded me of the earlier episodes and brought back some of the magic when Top Gear was in a different world in making TV car shows. It still is, but nowadays there are a couple of (admittedly mostly cheap) imitations so that the uniqueness is lost to some extent.

May's segment wasn't that interesting for me as I am not very interested in military equipment, other than that it reminded me sort of a little boy being released to a gigantic playground (in a good way).

Very good ep, somewhere between 8 and 9 - so it's a 9 to maximise the spread vs the dull ep1.

Loved the scenerey and the whole 4C test as well as the somewhat funny race vs jetski, mainly because it was not stretched to a 40 minutes comedy special.
4C reminded me a bit of the Artega GT I once had for a test drive.
News was good.
Military segment was like a documentary, hardly any funny elements, on the verge of being boring.
I am not a SIARPC hater, and the guest was not bad as such, but after the Peugeot jokes it seemed to take forever this time.
The whole P1 segment was well balanced, technical stuff, funny bits and proper supercar admiration - epic film.

I really liked all the films of this episode - not super fantastic awesome, but really great Top Gear. The only thing that made the episode a bit bad was SIARPC - from other interviews with Hiddleston I had hoped it would be something enjoyable like the Cumberbatch but in reality it was really boring.

7.5/10 overall, I would say.

This episode really pissed me off.

"[The P1] is a game changer; a genuinely new chapter in the history of motoring."

Really, Clarkson? It's literally a Prius. But this time it's British so he likes it.

It was perfect, don't give it a 10/10 just because the lack of hot laps, so when I will re-watch this something gonna miss. 9/10
Happly P1 will come.
(I would pay to see what the Alfa is capable of on the TG track, so please!)

Come one guy, Jeremy is the greatest chauvinist of britishness, cope with this and have a laugh.

This episode really pissed me off.

"[The P1] is a game changer; a genuinely new chapter in the history of motoring."

Really, Clarkson? It's literally a Prius. But this time it's British so he likes it.

If a Prius had a twinturbo 720hp V8 with an electric motor able to pump it up to 900hp and looked like an alien spaceship then I would certainly like it too :D

Last edited:
6/10 very poor episode. No offence to Tom but it was lacklustre! The 4C vs JetSki was fantastic but too short, the rest of the show dragged on. Last weeks was more what I expected.

"Murica" ey?

Given that I have to listen to all the American crap about built in America. Murica!??? all the time a bit of British Engineering worship is fine. Granted I'm not convinced about reliability of some English Marques but given the amount of crap I've heard from Americans on stuff...

Lets not forget America Nationalism worship is in Movies/TV Shows/Music constantly and quite frankly its old. There's always some flag waving around in American shows or some Soldier worship or some built in America means its good stuff, so lets name a few programs that do this. American Chopper did it alot... constantly. It's always some sort of homage to some American this that and the other, then there's Overhaulin' which has gotten worse on this they seem to pick out preachers/soldiers/celebs and sometimes the odd guy who deserves it and theres always a "Made in Murica?" Murica? is best. Fact is you're watching a British TV program about a British Car made by a British Company Mclaren which is a British Formula 1 team with huge amounts of success and given that the last time they made something that mental was the Mclaren F1 its kind of a big deal. F1 motorsport is seen as the pinnacle of engineering design and the P1 is a culmination of the engineering know how which has been distilled to produce something absolutely mind blowing, you have to forgive me for asking what do you expect? A little "Britain is great" is nothing compared to its negatives and its not like they don't moan about whats wrong every week.

Just because the only other countries that could produce something as Brilliant are Germany, Italy and Japan. (Thinking GTR / LFA) only because the GTR achieves a lot for its price/weight. I mean you might point out the ACR Viper but thats not quite a road vehicle of the same standard.

They showed 'Muricas' supercar on the show's news section - The Corvette something or other which frankly I think looks absurd. I know for a Fact that GM has one of the biggest wind tunnels in the world and has lots of material on how to do suspension etc etc but it's pure Murica? ostentatious brutish and brash. What works in Europe is not the same as what works in America and it has to look gordy gopping and chromed up to the hilt with built in Murica? to appeal to most rednecks.

Top Gear is about the only program I've seen thats done a bit of British Engineering Worship. I will mention one other fact.. not all the Engineers are British so banging on about nationalities of cars is truly pointless and a tad nationalistic (which I also think is pointless). It's an Amazing car and for it to come out of Britain which has lost a lot of its car manufacturers and be one of the fastest things around is quite an achievement.

So why are you complaining? Top Gear USA is pretty damn good IMO, though Tanner seems to be sponsored by Ford and all Adam waffles on about is how good American stuff is they do exactly the same thing as the British presenters. They're all going to be biased all the time.

Nice post. Some of the posters on here, especially americans, are laughable. I know many Swedes take pride in the achievements of Koeniggsegg and obviously Italians are the most arrogant fanboys of the lot, but both take deserved pride in their domestic engineering accomplishments. It's the same with McLaren. Top Gear love to be harsh on British cars and the industry in general, so it's only fair to give credit when McLaren build the best car of all time.

As for american cars... there's a good reason they don't sell anything outside america unless they get Germans to design and build them haha.

Disappointing. The jetski Alfa thing was fine but nothing great, which I guess isn't too surprising since they were doing it for a second time. Clarkson must have been furious with that "American".

The news is now completely pointless and should be eliminated entirely. The jokes are crude and stupid and not becoming of a show that is so well produced otherwise.

James' Afghanistan thing got too political.

The P1 review was strange, I was hoping for another Enzo review, ie a Clarkson masterclass on how to review a truly groundbreaking car. Instead we mostly got shots of the P1 driving on a trafficky highway in the rain, with too many stupid oversimplifications. It was a chance to prove that Clarkson and Top Gear can still review a car in the manner that made the show famous to begin with, and I guess they can't.

Last edited:
So what do we think the odds are of Jeremy losing his bet?
I think there's a really good chance that Porsche have pulled a Nissan GTR and built something far faster than the numbers on paper suggest.
There's probably a good chance that Top Gear know this as well and will have themselves an amusing headline at the end of the season.