[21x02] February 9th, 2014

[21x02] February 9th, 2014

• Total voters
I liked the episode, but during the News segment they complained about buying gas in the US and having to pay first, I just didn't get it. Just stick your card in the pump and fill up to the desired level.
Some places is pay first and others is fill up first and pay when your done.

The 918 is some 700 pounds heavier and slightly less powerful, with a much less developed aero setup. The P1 should eat it alive, the one exception being in the rain, but I highly doubt they'll run them in the wet.

AWD is a bug in a sports car, not a feature.

Heavier, but it also makes much more clever use of its electric engines when it comes to things to putting the power to the ground. Hence why I used the GTR analogy.
I agree that the the P1 should be faster, but when it come to track performance with the two, Porsche have been loud and proud about ring lap times (I know, not the be all and end all) where as Mclaren have kept rather coy.
I think there is still the chance it will be closer than expected, especially taking into consideration that the lap is from a standing start and the the fact that when the P1 is put into track mode, it drops so low it is no longer street legal (again, its Top Gear, so this may be exploited for comedic reasons)

I was bummed not to see a lap time out of the 4C. As for the 918 and P1 time attack battle, pfftttttt.... LaFerrari will destroy the both of them and lick the plate clean.

I was bummed not to see a lap time out of the 4C. As for the 918 and P1 time attack battle, pfftttttt.... LaFerrari will destroy the both of them and lick the plate clean.

Likewise. I was looking forward to seeing the lap time of the 4C.

Well, it was a good episode but really under performed considering the cars. The P1 just NEEDED to be tested on a dry track. Taking it to Spa was awesome of course but it was still very obvious how easily Jeremy was going with it.

The Alfa 4C review had amazing cinematography but the car it self was not discussed enough, too much running around and showing James Bond bits on a lake, I still don't know almost anything about the car... And no power lap was also disappointing. Wet or not, it still gives a ball park of where the car is...

Tom as SIARPC was good, no doubt there.

All in all it was a good episode, just coulda been done better with a bit more attention to the cars.

7/10.

Last edited:
It's a pity that once the 4C went in race mode versus the Quadski Hammond didn't focus on the car anymore other than the it's wide remarks. Once we knew the speed of the Quadski on water, the race was no contest anymore. They still made it appear to be quite close, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was half an hour between them, knowing the road Hammond took.

Still, it was nice to see Jeremy genuinely enthusiastic about something more than once in a single episode.

I like the 4C as well, wondering if we'll get it here in the States.
You will. But it will be a bit heavier, and it will have rear bumperettes.

4cUSA.jpg

the 4c (...) it's quite a pretty car which sounds quite nice even though it hasn't got a boot
It does, it's behind the engine. Also, yes, that's a stick propping up the hatch.

Vano%20Bagagli.jpg

So how do you get to the engine of the Alfa Romeo ?

autoweekNL-1.jpg

So essentially it's a Lotus Elise with more style and less reliable! Sweeeet!

btw, what was the name of the hotel that Jeremy and Richard raced to?

It's the CastaDiva Resort & Spa.
http://www.castadivaresort.com

The mountain bits at the beginning of the segment have been filmed at the border between the Piemonte and Valle D'Aosta regions (Ceresole Reale/Colle del Nivolet).

I liked that episode, even with Jeremy's interlude on the quadski. I would like to have seen a little more of a review of the 4C, though. More actually road test and review before launching unto the race.

I don't mind the race; it was pretty entertaining and the cinematography was top notch, but a better segue is needed.

I liked the episode, but during the News segment they complained about buying gas in the US and having to pay first, I just didn't get it. Just stick your card in the pump and fill up to the desired level.

Presumably they had cash or something. I don't know about in the UK, but I'd say probably 90% of people here buy with a card, either credit or debit.

When you're paying in cash though, pretty much all places have moved to having to go inside and pre-pay first to cut down on theft.

What happens if you miscalculate and end up buying too much gas?

You don't. You pre-pay for X dollars and the pump stops at that amount. You can go back inside and get your change if you use less.

I've heard complaints about people visiting the US and having issues with their foreign debit/credit cards not working at fuel pumps. Of course, that's not really a national issue, rather than a business decision to limit fraud, which is all too common at fuel pumps.

Last edited:
Yeah we were confused as hell when we pulled in for our first petrol stop on our US road-trip...
WHY IS THIS PUMP NOT WORKING!?
We found that when trying to pay with a credit card at the pump, it asked us to input our US zip code that matches where the card is registered, which obviously we couldn't do, so I don't see how we could have used our UK cards at the US pumps (is that all pumps that do the zip code thing or just some?)

All the pumps at major chain stations in the UK do have the credit card slot, but only a small minority of people use it, most pay by cash.
People who ARE paying by card still mostly go inside and pay at the till with their card.
And people who are using business fuel expense cards like lorry and van drivers have to go in to give the cashier the extra details.

Of course, that's not really a national issue, rather than a business decision to limit fraud, which is all too common at fuel pumps.

Sadly yeah. My sister's credit card number was stolen and guess where it was used? A gas pump on the opposite side of the country.

Yeah we were confused as hell when we pulled in for our first petrol stop on our US road-trip...
WHY IS THIS PUMP NOT WORKING!?
We found that when trying to pay with a credit card at the pump, it asked us to input our US zip code that matches where the card is registered, which obviously we couldn't do, so I don't see how we could have used our UK cards at the US pumps (is that all pumps that do the zip code thing or just some?)

All the pumps at major chain stations in the UK do have the credit card slot, but only a small minority of people use it, most pay by cash.
People who ARE paying by card still mostly go inside and pay at the till with their card.
And people who are using business fuel expense cards like lorry and van drivers have to go in to give the cashier the extra details.

Yes, requiring the ZIP code helps reduce fraud as it's a small amount of proof that you haven't just stolen it. Slightly lowers their risk.

Few people go into gas station buildings here. Infact not all gas stations even have buildings to go into. In Oregon where you can't pump your own gas, I never even get out of the car. I just hand the attendant my credit card and say fill it up. If I paid with cash, I'd have to go in, get a receipt, and then hand it to the attendant.