[21x03] February 16th, 2014

[21x03] February 16th, 2014

• Total voters
Very solid episode.

Also, love how they are using copter-based aerial shots more and more, lots of them during the Ukraine trip, with the copter even visible hovering in the background in one shot in the beginning. And they've actually flown the thing in Chernobyl! I'd love to see more footage from that.

So Wesley Clark same near started world war 3 just over an airport?! What a blithering insane fool.

I really liked it, best one of the season at this moment. Chernobyl was awesome! I didn't know Call of Duty (Modern Warfare 1 or 2) replicated it perfectly!

One thing I did noticed is the following: When the episode was done, I still hadn't got any clue about the Dacia Sandero, Volkswagen Up! and the Ford Fiesta. Other than the Ford is (relatively) expensive and the Dacia isn't. The same thing struck me when they "tested" the Lexus LFA, Aston Martin Vantage (?) and the Viper. When they used to do a road trip to test cars, I got an idea about the car (for example Ferrari 458, Mercedes SLS and Porsche GT3 trip). In the (more) recent series that has gone away (in my opinion). I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks that way ...

Last edited:
Reactions: TC
Very good episode, really enjoyed that. Solid 7/10. Would have given it an 8, except:

One thing I did noticed is the following: When the episode was done, I still hadn't got any clue about the Dacia Sandero, Volkswagen Up! and the Ford Fiesta. Other than the Ford is (relatively) expensive and the Dacia isn't. The same thing struck me when they "tested" the Lexus LFA, Aston Martin Vantage (?) and the Viper. When they used to do a road trip to test cars, I got an idea about the car (for example Ferrari 458, Mercedes SLS and Porsche GT3 trip). In the (more) recent series that has gone away (in my opinion). I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks that way ...

Agreed. For a longer film about 3 cheap cars, that didn't end in a fireball, I didn't get much information about them. I know it's "boring consumer advice, go watch Fifth Gear" stuff, but they talked a lot about the cars along the way, just not much specifics about how they were to live with for those handful of days and hundreds of miles.

not a bad ep overall, a bit boring at times, but still, not bad 7/10

The thing is, though ... the only real reason to review a car, on the TV, is not to sing its praises but to either (a) point out something very interesting about it (which is what was done with the P1, SLC Black Electric, etc.) or (b) point out something very, very wrong.

And the major point of all three city cars is that none of them went seriously wrong. None of the presenters complained about discomfort caused by a manufacturing defect, or of the build quality, or of the equipment. That, honestly, would make for a very boring car review (remember what Hammond said in their British Leyland piece: reliability is so boring).

As for myself, the question of which city car is best is mooted somewhat by the fact that of the three, only the Fiesta is available in North America.

I did like that touch in the end, with the assistant cameramen getting glowing red credits due to their exposure.

Solid 8. I wish they'd waited for a dry day for the Zenvo, but I understand there presently aren't any in the UK.

I figured the road trip would be a snore fest, but it had enough little quips to make it fun, like the charge of the light brigade / letter bit. To say nothing of bouncing them off the limiter for half the trip. Exactly the way to handle a review of cars nobody cares about.

Zenvo would've been utter hilarious, had Jezza made a reference and/or comparison to a previous Danish car project: The Ellert (or as it's known these days, the CityEl). If you think the G-Wiz is bad, wait until you see that thing...

Zenvo was interesting, but sadly broke down
SIARPC : Ok
Ukraine film was nice, maybe they exaggerated radiation dangers a bit ( there is still people working in the zone) and last reactor was shut down late as 2000.
If you want to see very kinda scary but interesting documentary about people who worked inside the damaged reactor to secure and investigate it check out this:

[video=youtube;-T29dR8zNq8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T29dR8zNq8[/video]

Second 9 in a row. Yum ! Keep 'em coming!

I'm suprised they didnt play any Iron Maiden. (The Trooper is about the charge of the light brigade that they talked about)

Last edited:
Until Chernobyl this was an 7 or 8... After that, 10. BTW, if you live in northwestern Europe and you were born circa the date of the radioactive release, you might want to be extra careful with your health.

The bit about May's steering wheel being a quality item had me in stitches for some reason, so did May trying to light the nuke. Fun episode to watch again. 9/10 from me.

I was on the edge of my seat, literally, as they went by the reactor. Plenty of laughs along the way. Wish they did more of these kinds of episodes.

Zenvo- I had a feeling it would go wrong. Decent review, expected a little more.
News- Solid.
SIARPC- Entertaining. I just give this segment a pass/fail, since I either watch it all, or skip from boredom. Pass.
Trip- As stated, pretty entertaining. Had a little bit of everything. Tourism, fans, good jokes...Great trip.

I really wish this episode was longer. I have recently been wishing they did a little something after the show, for those of us who wanted just a little more. I really want to know what happened after JC's car died, even if they just threw a quick splash in the tank. Or maybe a little quick Q&A about it. Or maybe just raw uncut footage.

Oh well, enough rambling...

9/10, would be an 8...but 9, because Chernobyl.

Man you guys are generous!

That had to be the most booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring episode of Top Gear in history.

Literally nothing happened after the debacle of the, what was it called? .... oh who cares anyway....

Ukraine trip was 40 minutes of nothingness, all to allow Jezza and May to sneak a peak into some abandoned submarine base and nuclear missile base.

I actually had the thought that all they wanted to prove was that if they are asked to review boring cars it will make a boring show. If so, mission accomplished.

Last edited: