[21x04] February 23rd, 2014

[21x04] February 23rd, 2014

• Total voters
Fuck this, 1/10 for me.

Very boring, it was maybe the 100th Caterham they featured on the show, who cares and also the track was wet. Then Jeremy sounded like a shady car salesman throughout his Alfa review which was obviously a terrible car and finally the 6x6 which is revolting, yes, but it does perpetrate the hallowed Teutonic tradition of pissing way further than everyone else. He even said himself that they basically added wheels because they didn't know how else to stand out.

Very depressing episode. It's as if humanity has moved on from their na?ve optimism of the 2000s and into this bitter materialistic defeatism where engineers have lost all their battles and have resigned to fiddling around with vulgar materials, struggling to find satisfaction only in petty financial rewards.

The ending was stupid.

Hmmm, if I may ask, would you point which one is your favorite TG episode?

Nope, I'm sure that was new. I'm on the fence, I liked it but the cinematic effect didn't seem to fit Clarkson talking about the car to me. Maybe I'll get used to it. :think:

I'm also on the fence, but I don't think it will become the standard. It did at least add a bit of variety, and I thought it was pretty cool in this episode. Just as long as it's used sparingly.

7/10

The Caterham review was fine, but seemed awfully short. James usually loves those skinny tires specifically because they are fun on the actual road, but then he doesn't take it on the road. Definitely did not follow there.

News was fine, don't usually expect news to blow me out of the water, so I glazed over the GT3/fire pizza thing.

Alfa review was nice, but didn't really capture me (except the camera work, good stuff there). Can't imagine a piece-meal car being greatly reliable (and it's an Alfa, probably as reliable as the Soviet car from the Worst Car film last year).

6x6 G-class was awesome, saved the show for me.

GTR table-cloth thing was pretty interesting, but I knew it didn't work. Seemed like they dragged it on too long.

Just okay. Looking forward to next week.

- James bit was quite entertaining, gotta love how he slides the car and hit in the eye by bugs, and that Stig's laps too (i was half expecting the 160 to pass the finish line backwards :lol:)
- News was meh
- That Alfa looks hideous! But i absolutely approve those Mass Effect 3 soundtracks :cool:
- Skipping the SIARPC
- A six wheeler AMG-Powered offroader? I throw my money to my screen but nothing happening! Somebody please help? :cry:
- I don't think The Stig used the launch control, i saw the back wheel spins at the start :p

Overall, its not bad but its not good either, and they should use that new cinema work more often, its so brilliant!

I give it a 7

And again an episode like they used to be. Packed, good pacing, no dragged out rehashed yokes. Mostly funny fresh yokes. Actual car reviews in beautiful places. A bit of car history in Jeremy's part. Fast cars. Good looking cars. Weird cars. Very good.

Next week, the cool wall?

Pretty good episode I think. I'm in love with the Touring 8C.

I agree with May, the Caterham 160 looks very appealing and looks pretty fun to drive even when it's slow.

Didn't really get the point of the pizza though haha. 8/10 from me.

Loved the May and Clarkson segment, largely because it reminded me of the old Top Gear I grew to love. The SIARPC is not funny, I don't care that you don't know how to drive. Hammond's small man syndrome bit was stupid so I skipped over most of it. Bike vs Car = major lols.

Great ep. Hammond through the sand dunes was awesome. Didn't understand JC when he said the Alfa didn't sound like an 8C. Sounded the same to me?

Glad to see the world's artificially inflated fuel costs pay for Lamborghini police cars. I find the UAE disgusting.

1. That slow Caterham is AWESOME. Stick some slightly stickier tires on it (so you don't kill yourself) and you have a super fun back-roads car.
2. That whole pizza bit was pointless and dragged out waaaayyy too long.
3. I'm sorry but... that Alfa was kinda ugly. Just my opinion. But I really enjoyed the cinematography.
4. The SIARPC. Meh.
5. Hammond's segment. Now THAT is how you do a car review! Also. WANT ONE!

All-in-all. 8/10. If not for Hammond's segment it would have been a 6.

Solid 10. Great fun. James film = Perfect for james. That was exactly what i enjoy watching from him

Jezzas film, same thing, perfect.

Hammonds film: glorious and well produced.

Guest, didnt know him but what a fun guest!

Table thing at the end, well, its TG so its fine.

I think we all tend to forget what Top gear is, its a show about 3 guys that most of us live through as they drivew cars that we may never play with and go to places we only dream of and they do it for us. And they have fun and, i may only be speaking for me, but i have fun WITH them. Its said a million times on this forum, if you want a "proper" car review then watch Fifth gear, if you want to have fun with cars then watch TG. This show is a template for what TG is.

Edit: also, that Alfa is ugly.

Last edited:
9/10 from me.

All 3 films were great this week.

Caterham - I also agree with May that a less powerful version of a car can actually be more fun sometimes. The overly powerful Caterham would be a complete handful as shown. Sometimes less really is more.

News - fun news segment and the pizza stunt was great.

Disco Volante - amazing scenery, amazing car, amazing film from Clarkson. Loved the 'Road to Perdition' music. The new camera mount on the hood looking back toward Jeremy is a keeper.

Mercedes 6x6 - wow. Probably one of the best individual segments Hammond has done I think. Really great stuff. Enjoyed all the music selected for this film as well.

Keep up the great work boys!!!

It seems the Alfa is a polarized love/hate car for most people here. I'm in the love category - maybe due to the fact the cinematography from that bit was absolutely stunning. It brought me back to why I fell in love with Top Gear in the first place. I gave the episode a 9, mostly for the SIARPC segment. I feel at this point they could pull some SERIOUS star-power onto the show, especially since they shoot so few episodes per year now. Part of me is really hoping they get Sir Paul McCartney on there someday!

Frankly, if given a million dollars to spend on filling a 3-car garage, I think this episode just helped me make those decisions...

Great episode. I actually want that Caterham 160. I think with some basic mods to bring it to 100hp it'll be a really fun weekend car.

The Alpha.
During the beginning of the piece Jeremy mentioned that it did not have the sound of the 8C. I kept saying to myself that it was a Maserati sound and had to smile when he confirmed it.

Also, that back end is hideous. Kept thinking of Clarkson's quote about the Panamera (12.05) when he described it as a brutal minger.

Up and down ep for me. 6+ out of 10. Not quite a 7. All 3 presenter segments were excellent, but the clipboard critique of James, the pizza and the tablecloth seemed to me as cheap filler.

I gave it an 8. I was entertained for 80% of the episode.

Hammond's bit gave it a bonus +1. I think that was his best individual segment, quite possibly ever.

The GT-R bit at the end was the -1... I think a fair bit of the audience of TG are the same type of people who watch Mythbusters, who already busted that bike/tablecloth thing. I love the GT-R (it's by far and away my dream car) but that bit went on too long for something that was faked to begin with.

Pizza thing just made me want pizza.

Pretty good episode. Another old TG style episode, and I liked it.

Fantastic episode.

bug splat on James.
Clip boards.
Holy shit that was a long drift!
A lot of wax, the amount of ripping on Jeremy that Richard did was hilarious.
USA made the news. :D
<3 the sound of the Alfa, the front end looks are good, the ass, not so much.
6x6, oh man that is the business.

- - - Updated - - -

The new camera mount on the hood looking back toward Jeremy is a keeper.

The clarity in the video is so much better too. Amazing stuff.

Alfa was a beautifully shot segment, and I love that style of top gear - beautiful film, about how a car makes you happy, even if it's not everyones fav. Slow caterham looks like quite good fun, siarpc was good... I find I like Hammond less and less over the years, but that was a solid 8+ verging on a 9 for me. Very good!