[21x04] February 23rd, 2014

[21x04] February 23rd, 2014

• Total voters
I liked everything except all the time they wasted with the fire proof pizza bit. The Disco Volante looked good from some angles, but I really hated the back.

I don't want to jinx it, but this is turning out to be a good season.

Last edited:
That was a 9 for me.

I had no clue who the guest was but I'm not in the UK so I'll let that slide of course.

Point was deducted for the "WTF are they doing?" pizza stuff and the really random ending. The three proper segments were really great though! I especially enjoyed Hammond's piece.

Really good but I only give a 10 to a perfect episode. This was close, but not quite. :)

I had no clue who the guest was but I'm not in the UK so I'll let that slide of course.

10/10 for considering that in your scoring - sadly many here don't, forgetting how they got to watch what is primarily a UK TV show for the UK market.

Really good but I only give a 10 to a perfect episode. This was close, but not quite. :)

Ditto - save my 10's for Space Shuttles, Vietnams and Botswanas :thumbsup:

That was just friggin great :D

When Hammond went completely over the top with "how to build a wax clarkson", i knew it was damn silly but i laughed my ass off ^^

Also Caterham 620R:

Dat Sound

:motherofgod:

:jawdrop:

Last edited:
Hammond can really do a great piece of filming when he can be arsed. Props to him. They need to keep the new camera angle from the bonnet peering through the windscreen, it really works.

I voted 10/10 for this episode, because in the middle of episode I heard the ICONIC Mass Effect 3 music/song... OMG...

Well, on the other thing, didn't the Mythbusters (from Discovery Channel) already busted the myth about that "BMW bike pulling table cloth stunt" one year or two ago?! I repeat, BUSTED!

Still, this episode is great!

Last edited:
WTF were they thinking with that pizza bit? :blink:
I think it was to counter the bashing towards May and Clarkson before. ;)

My opinion: a very solid episode, I laughed my ass off several times. The season gets better and better (well, starting extremely weak didn't help) so I give it a 9 just for the small silly segments with the pizza and the table cloth. You have to have something to improve. :p

9 out of 10...... For the first 25 minutes......

Never been a big fan of the news, but it was made incredibly watchable due to the absolutely stunning woman stood behind Hammond.
Caterham segment made perfect sense to me, when you consider the original Lotus Seven made do with even less horsepower than the '160'. So I know which one I'd choose too, and it wouldn't be the one with the comedic power output.
That 'review' of the Alfa...... What can you say?
Drop dead gorgeous, soulful sounding, beautifully hand-made and sculpted.... I did get the feeling though that the whole 'we don't know what it will cost' part, and the suggestion of some billionaire in Singapore paying $1.5 million for one..... Is to soften the blow when the price really does come to light!!
Another car I really would love to own!

Then the episode kind of went tits up....
So, 3 out of 10 for the subsequent 35 minutes....

Jack Whitehall..... What was the point? If you can't drive, you shouldn't be asked to appear on a show where you are required to drive. Funny bloke and all that, but the whole segment was effectively meaningless.
Hammond's 'small guy in a big car' in the desert...(YAWN!!) Seemed forced, and wasn't particularly entertaining. Perhaps it's just my age, but it's been nearly 20 years since I was a teenager, so I found no entertainment value in it. Especially with the 'hilarity' at the end, as he was overtaken by vehicles that disproved the banal point(s) he was attempting to make, before climbing up on a 'Land of the Giants' Jeep.
And the final 'bike vs car' thing..... Was that just dreamed up to fill in the final 5 minutes?
Why not do the Cool Wall, or perhaps have a discussion on some car related topic that doesn't involve Clarkson making inane suggestions that weren't ever going to be proven with his tablecloth 'experiment'....?

About the pizza bit: I know what that's about.

Someone on the TG production staff was watching Stephen Fry's QI, looked at some of the science demonstrations Fry was doing (particularly the igniting of custard powder), and thought to himself, "That's an idea! Have the boys do some science-based stunts that could potentially go wrong -- but don't!"

Anyway, about the cloth-table bit: how much are people willing to bet that they'll do it again in episode 5 -- only this time with the "stunt" modifications as detailed by Mythbusters when they busted that ad?

I voted 10/10 for this episode, because in the middle of episode I heard the ICONIC Mass Effect 3 music/song... OMG...

Well, on the other thing, didn't the Mythbusters (from Discovery Channel) already busted the myth about that "BMW bike pulling table cloth stunt" one year or two ago?! I repeat, BUSTED!

Still, this episode is great!

Yes and TG did the whole "car behind a jet airliner" bit before MB got to it. It's swings and roundabouts really.

People who gave this episode less than a 7: Baby Jesus disapproves of you

:nod: I bet they hate custard too.

Here's a madcap idea. Why don't they fill those 5-10 minutes with a cool wall section later in the show? Staggering to think they haven't done one of those for 3 years now.

Cool Wall was dreamt up as a filler but as I understand things both Clarkson and Wilman hate it which is why we never see it. Shame since many of the core fans seem to enjoy it.

About the pizza bit: I know what that's about.

Someone on the TG production staff was watching Stephen Fry's QI, looked at some of the science demonstrations Fry was doing (particularly the igniting of custard powder), and thought to himself, "That's an idea! Have the boys do some science-based stunts that could potentially go wrong -- but don't!"

Anyway, about the cloth-table bit: how much are people willing to bet that they'll do it again in episode 5 -- only this time with the "stunt" modifications as detailed by Mythbusters when they busted that ad?

Please God no. Just no. And I think you're wrong - it was simply inspired by the news that Porsche have halted GT3 production because of a series of fires. I hardly think JC has been going around torching 911s just so he could attempt to set fire to Hammond's plums for shits and giggles.

Standards.

Yes but even by your incredibly high (and lightly miserable) standards that was a cracking episode. I am beginning to suspect you are the kind of person who would complain about free beer.

:nod: I bet they hate custard too.

Is it possible for people to hate custard? Please tell me that isn't true.

Yes and TG did the whole "car behind a jet airliner" bit before MB got to it. It's swings and roundabouts really.

Can you imagine TG doing a rip off of Mythbusters? It would have to take place in one of those big tents with the stripes up the side. :lol: