[21x05] March 2nd, 2014

[21x05] March 2nd, 2014

• Total voters
I liked this episode all-round. People will complain about the cycling film, but when it comes to the buses, they do have a point. I live in London and the buses are genuinely appalling to cyclists and other road users. They simply do not know how to drive, its amazing what you see them do. The Porsche 918 is outstanding, shame there was no lap yet.

really like the episode. hot hatch part was good. news was decent. cycling section was very good, the videos like the VW ads years ago were hilarious, can hear the angry letters been written already. Aaron was a great guest, looked like a very quick lap.

918 section was yet more fantastic Top Gear cinematography, just a same we didn't get the P1 and 918 lap. Wonder if they're holding off until the summer and do the LaFerrari at the same time, all on the same day same conditions.

8.5-9/10 for me, the last few Top Gears have really felt like a return to the good old days.

Shame we have to wait for nearly 5 months before they'll (hopefully) do the timed laps...

Good episode all round, we are now on a 4-streak 8+ run for me, which is very good to see.

This one gets a 10/10 for me, purely because of the awesome 918 video. Richard truly hit the nail on the head with the review, and 'that' cinematography.

- - - Updated - - -

Shame we have to wait for nearly 5 months before they'll (hopefully) do the timed laps...

Does give them the time to find a TheFerrari owner and ask him to borrow it.

Epic show even though I am sooo mad that they didn't do a power lap in either of the cars (P1 or 918).

But the rest of the show was so good that I can forgive them. And also they should try to get a 918 with the Weissach package when they finally run them.

Decent if not spectacular episode. Porsche 918 review was the obvious highlight. The GTi v 135i was good, very similar to an old review they did between the old Golf R32 and the old hot 1 series (I think it was Series 7), only with less detail which annoyed me slightly. Cycle film is inevitably going to be controversial but personally, apart from the actual journey they carried out around London, it wasn't that entertaining. 7/10.

I think this series, above everything, has proved that if Top Gear sticks to car-related content, they are still pretty damn entertaining but when they veer off like they did in episode 1 and like they did for part of episode 5, the entertainment value vanishes. One more thing - can't wait for that promised shoot-out between P1 and 918. Lets hope the La Ferrari makes an appearance as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Epic show even though I am sooo mad that they didn't do a power lap in either of the cars (P1 or 918).

I'm quite surprised they didn't do any lap times, especially after talking it up for 4 episodes. What I would say is that if this summer episode they talked about involves the La Ferrari, then I think I can wait :)

Let me guess before it starts, the GT86?
He hated the original 1 series hatch.
Traction control was off and Jeremy is a brave man.
Oh ffs, the saw shite...
Hot hatch test was dull.
That birds socks are stupid.
Who the Fuck is the happy banker looking bloke behind May?

Yay May and Jezza segment.
Lance Armstrong poster :lmao:
Star in a reasonably priced car... bitch!!!
Jezza doesn't care about that film, he just wanted Pinkman. Don't blame him.
American at the top again?

The Porsche exhaust is better than the P1's

And James in the laferrari?

I really enjoyed it. Was really looking forward to the idea of having a Jenny on the show. ;) Probably. Lol.
Aaron Paul has always seemed like a really cool guy, and today was no less. And drives a Cobra, and the fastest time on the board now. Looked like a great lap anyway, so I wasn't too surprised.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if James drives the Ferrari TheFerrari. It would be sort of apt, considering their penchant for the cars the other two drove.

Not a great bit on the comparison and the news wasn't that great either. Cycling part was a bit silly but had some laughs here and there. Porsche bit was great. 7/10.

I thought jezzas BMW/GTI segment was great. News soso, cycling soso, SIARPC great for once, and Richards Spyder segment was brilliant, they really changed something about the look of some of their films this series, very cinmeatic, great stuff. 8/10 would watch again.

not a bad ep, the hatchback segment was fairly interesting (especially when jeremy spun out at 120), the news was lame, and cycling bit seemed more "trying to hard to be entertaining" like end of episode 1...though I wonder if they did anything w/ the footage of the bus drivers.

Anyway porsche part was ok (obviously richard did that test during the same trip that he did his 6 wheeled mercedes test), and I have to say I was seriously expecting the P1 to going flying past it at some point during that. Really disappointed they're making us wait cause I think a proper race track would be a better location for those cars than the airfield.

Also not sure about the upcoming burma eps. I'm hoping it will turn out to be as good as their bolivia special...and definitely better than their last 2-parter, the africa special
(which I thought was pretty lame)

but I guess we'll have to wait and see 7/10

Last edited:
Uqite liked this episode, all about the 918 of course.
One thing that really annoyed me though was that he snubbed the Mercedes A45 only cos of the price. The most powerful four pot, most powerful hot hatch, its a mercedes AMG, all things that Jeremy should adore. And in the wet with its 4WD it would have trounced the other two. You pay for supremacy.
8/10

Porsche certainly didn't allow a straight lap comparison with the P1 because they (and everyone else) knows it will lose badly, and they still haven't sold them all. They will use a few months to tweak everything on the car but frankly at this point it looks like Ferrari and Porsche are being very selective with their media outings whereas Mclaren will let anyone drive the car freely. That's confidence in a winning product.

My favorite so far this season, only spoiled by the guest (Not a fan of Breaking Bad at all). Loved the blue fire coming out of that Porsche.

The bicycle films were stupid but pretty funny.

8/10. Mostly good stuff.

Hatchback bit was boring and silly, as they usually are. Only good part was the single camera shot of Clarkson's spin.
Cycling bit was hilarious-- the "films" were actually better than the original VW ones.
Star was watchable, not as boring as usual.
918 bit was well filmed, but not particularly enthralling. Clarkson's film with the P1 was much better.

Was going to give it a 7, but the Morgan jibes bumped it up. :D

That was a really really great episode (Porsche 918 on the Yas Marina track under floodlights, Aaron Paul, hot german hatchbacks ... What more can you ask?) and I was about to give it a 10 but I thought there was going to be a lap around the track from the Porsche and the cycling thing was good but not brilliant. Therefore a 9.499 (= 9)

Best episode of the season!

Last edited: