[21x05] March 2nd, 2014

[21x05] March 2nd, 2014

• Total voters
I can't believe there are people that don't like Breaking Bad... how the hell is that possible?

I tried to get into it and just lost interest at some point in the first season.

I should probably give it another go...

I gave an 8 for Lance Armstrong poster and 918, the rest was boring.

Oh yeah. I love the rear end on that thing:

12899867093_6e2fc49362_b.jpg

I love this whole season, it's been so good I have completely forgotten about last season! A couple things:

1) Who the hell was that idiot behind James during the news with that mouth agape smile? He looked like a retarded mannequin!

Grinningidiot.png

http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/02/happiest-man-alive-sits-behind-james-may-on-top-gear-4380319/

Happiest man alive sits behind James May on Top Gear

- - - Updated - - -

7/10 I laughed a lot but it just didn't really grab me this week, but I think I will check out breaking bad.

Oh yeah. I love the rear end on that thing:

12899867093_6e2fc49362_b.jpg

I think the McLaren is a much, much better looking car. The Porsche is just plain boring in comparison.

However the Porsche certainly seems a lot more livable as a daily or whatnot.

Also I forgot to ask, is that final PSA they did with the yellow McLaren actually running on British TV or was that entire segment just cocking around with no intent of making a TV ad?

Wow, every once in a while an interesting guest! I was hoping to have Kiefer Sutherland this season given the fact that they are filming 24 in London. Oh, well...

Another solid episode in this season! I prefer the look of the McLaren but I believe the Porsche it's a better car. Shame we have to wait some months to see the duel between the two.

Also,
Breaking Bad it's one of the best show ever. Everyone should watch it. Viper, hold out until the middle of the second season! It's a true masterpiece, don't miss it.

Last edited:
Great ep all around except for the cycling which I found rather boring, and that there was no lap for any of the genuinely interesting cars. Not that the M135i and GTi are dull but despite the expense I feel the A45 AMG is a far more interesting animal and I would have loved to have seen what sort of time the superhatch churned out. And 918 vs. P1, no explanation needed there.

8/10.

Last edited:
Again not horrible. For what it's worth, my sentiments towards bicyclists are the same. :)

I think the McLaren is a much, much better looking car. The Porsche is just plain boring in comparison.

However the Porsche certainly seems a lot more livable as a daily or whatnot.

Agreed the P1 is much much better looking. The 918 to me just looks like a modded boxster or something like that. In the middle of West London it wouldn't get a second look.

As a daily driver I'd prefer the P1 too. Porsche totally messed up with their regenerative braking and there's no way I'd want to drive around a hypercar with unreliable/unnatural-feeling brakes all day. The P1 is lighter and smaller too.

I honestly don't see anything I prefer on the 918, except maybe the engine noise, but the P1 sounds a lot more distinctive and futuristic.

For me the 918 is far more beautiful than the P1, and miles ahead of the LaFerrari. The 918 has some real curves and style to it, while the P1 looks like some sort of alien insect, which is cool, if you're into alien insect styled cars. I think the P1 will be fastest, but only on flying laps of a dry track. In conditions that aren't favorable, I think the 918 will win. And since these are road cars, and the roads are 99% unfavorable all the time, I think the 918 is the best "car" of the hybrid-hypercar bunch.

As for the Breaking Bad non-fans, it really is one of those shows that you have to sit down and pay attention and stick with it, because the whole series has an awesome arc to it. The way it keeps building up and getting more intense. It hasn't made its way onto all these "greatest TV shows of all time" lists for no reason.

Last edited:
I love this whole season, it's been so good I have completely forgotten about last season! A couple things:

1) Who the hell was that idiot behind James during the news with that mouth agape smile?

And he is an idiot why? Judging by your post, I and Im pretty sure most people would rather have him as a neighbour and a part of society than someone who calls other people idiots. It like to record your face watching a movie or a show you like. Must be a picture of perfection and serenity right?

- - - Updated - - -

Anyways.. good ep, I only felt the hatchback segment couldve been better. IF nothing else more balanced with regards to the cars selection. And Im still surprised by Clarkson spinning out. I wonder if BMW and their PR department will do something about it.

And if its not scripted I find it very funny if they still manage to find people who take them seriously, like the commercial committee.Surely that mustve been scripted :) ?

You can hold off on the P1/918 lap times as long as you want, Jennifer, but McLaren isn't going to squeeze any more out of that P1. Please see Hammond for your new "Hello my name is" badge. Just, please, don't make the P1/918/(laFerrari?) episode a DVD-only special.

I love that camera shot they've used on both the P1 and 918 films with the camera on the outside looking in through the windscreen. Whatever camera they're using for that shot, they need to buy 100 more of them.

Agreed the P1 is much much better looking. The 918 to me just looks like a modded boxster or something like that. In the middle of West London it wouldn't get a second look.

The 918 is a mismash of Carrera GT and 911 styling cues. It looks "Porsche-y" but at some point they just started splacking on Pininfarina bits that really don't fit the car. Ruf's execution of the CTR3 is more in line with what a Porsche supercar should look like.

The P1 is more function over form. They have their minimalist cues as usual, and the obligatory McLaren swooshes, but mostly it looks like someone built all the mechanicals and then just put enough body on the thing to make the aero work. It's more interesting to look at as a result.

The ethos behind the two cars is what does it for me. The 918 is writing checks it can't cash on both the CGT's insanity and the 917's legend, but at the end of the day it's a relatively boring 458-grade video game. The P1, on the other hand, is using what technology it must to be relevant and fast enough to meet its design goals, but ultimately it's about driving the car, not playing with the electronics.